How often do you bathe your husky?

Brady

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Louis says after me, Husky's don't need bathing very often. They're a naturally clean breed and their fur is basically a "cling free". Even when they get their dirtiest, give them an hour or three and they'll be back to normal.

I presume it goes way back in the breed itself, and a little evolution, if they were out in the wind and snow of their home country and their fur didn't clean itself then they'd be dead quickly.

If you haven't noticed, there is little or no "doggy odor" from a Husky - when they get wet, they smell like whatever it is they got wet with, most other breeds have this real obnoxious "wet dog" odor about them.

If he really needs a bath, as in he's just taken a roll in the nearest cow paddy, water and the mildest dog (or baby) shampoo are going to do the job. Once in three to six months is generally enough ....

huskies dont need bathing very often. Natural oils in their coats keep it clean and waterproof to an extent.

I only bath mine if they are VERY dirty.

Storm had a lot of baths when young, he got poop covered a lot!

Pretty well never. We hose 'em off if they get muddy, but to actually shampoo them? Maaaaybe once a year. They don't stink, their skin isn't excessively oily or dry, they get brushed regularly, so it's just never been a top priority. Wyatt was at the vet's last week for his annual, and she actually commented on how great his coat is.

Like Louis says after me, Husky's don't need bathing very often. They're a naturally clean breed and their fur is basically a "cling free". Even when they get their dirtiest, give them an hour or three and they'll be back to normal.

I presume it goes way back in the breed itself, and a little evolution, if they were out in the wind and snow of their home country and their fur didn't clean itself then they'd be dead quickly.

If you haven't noticed, there is little or no "doggy odor" from a Husky - when they get wet, they smell like whatever it is they got wet with, most other breeds have this real obnoxious "wet dog" odor about them.

If he really needs a bath, as in he's just taken a roll in the nearest cow paddy, water and the mildest dog (or baby) shampoo are going to do the job. Once in three to six months is generally enough ....

Tell that to my 2 then please because they stink of wet dog !

Wow.. Well, Sherlock got bathed quite often when he was younger, because he'd get covered in poo. I was bathing him pretty regularly, but now with sometimes just throw him in the tub and just rinse him off with warm water and no shampoo. He does smell a little like a wet dog when he's wet, but I do agree that they have very little odor usually, especially in comparison to some other breeds. I'll definitely be bathing him less now.. He's used to it already, so hopefully as he gets older he doesn't freak out even when he's older.

Ooh.. doggy wipes, I've seen them. I'll give those a try for when he's rolled in the mud at the dog park before I throw him back in the car.

@Austinville Eight years wow! That's great he kept himself clean.

We decided to force Sherlock to deal with water from a young age.. He doesn't love it, but he also doesn't really fight it which is great. Bath time is painfree for me, I can handle him myself and he plays with bath toys while I bathe him. So, since it was so easy and stuff, he got baths all the time. But, then I read that dogs shouldn't be bathed often...

Mine get a couple of baths ever summer, to help them shed out their coats and spruce them up. During the cold months, I almost never bathe any of them - might/probably would if we were going someplace, such as a dog show or a visit to the local nursing home or a school visit...

For as long as I know Glala and Dana (2 or 3 years? Probably longer) they haven't been bathed. They really don't need it t hough. Tey don't get really dirty either, and when they do it's already gone by the time I get home again. I even went to the smelliest lakes with them but after a short drive back home the smell is gone and they are dry again!