Im sorry, but this is absolutley diabolical. Words cannot express!

Simon&Sophia

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw a 'trainer' poke a dog in the side earlier today to get the dog to sit at the curb - there are better methods to make a dog sit imo - the dog was also wearing a choke chain n everytime the dog walked a TINY bit infront of the 'trainer' the 'trainer' would yank the lead :( i felt so bad for the dog there are better ways to train a dog then being a bully

Skip to 2mins 15, and youll all be horrified. This guy is SUPPOSED to be a professional!

Anyone want to start a petition with me?

"Professional" is such an over used word in Dog Training. You don't need any qualifications to be a dog trainer, I am a dog trainer and I am a KCAI Student but I would never refer to myself as a "professional" and Cesar has done less than I have in the form of qualifications. But you're right, he is labelled as a "Professional", but in my opinion he shouldn't be. To me someone who is a professional is someone that can state initials after their name because they have studied and done extra work in the field.

utterly disgusting utterly. I dont agree with him at all and whats worse is that other "dog trainers" copy him and think coz he does it its ok!!

I can't stand the amount that I see do this!!! And owners that see it on TV and copy it!!!!

i saw a 'trainer' poke a dog in the side earlier today to get the dog to sit at the curb - there are better methods to make a dog sit imo - the dog was also wearing a choke chain n everytime the dog walked a TINY bit infront of the 'trainer' the 'trainer' would yank the lead :( i felt so bad for the dog there are better ways to train a dog then being a bully

I remember you told me about it this morning. It's disgusting.

Stacey xxx

I think he is amazing at what he does. You have to remember that he doesnt just deal with typical dogs, he will work with dogs that are out of control. The kicks he does are not hard at all, whether it be a kick or a touch it snaps them out of whatever they are so intently focused on. Maybe I'm the only one on the forum that thinks so and im sure i'll get flamed for it but i support his work and knowledge.

Also, that thing at the end of the video about the dogs not being wolves.... really?

I think he is amazing at what he does. You have to remember that he doesnt just deal with typical dogs, he will work with dogs that are out of control. The kicks he does are not hard at all, whether it be a kick or a touch it snaps them out of whatever they are so intently focused on. Maybe I'm the only one on the forum that thinks so and im sure i'll get flamed for it but i support his work and knowledge.

Also, that thing at the end of the video about the dogs not being wolves.... really?

Im not interested in "flaming" people. But i will say, that there a LOT of other ways to train a dog than resorting to being physically domineering. The kicks may not appear to be much, but concentrate on where he kicks them. He steps into the kicks too. They arent just a slight nudge. Also, he seems to do it alot of the time before anything has even happened. I feel that it is easier to correct a dog if the dog has actually done something that needs correcting first..... or in the act of, so long as it is not dangerous. I am not massively experienced by any means, but i could tell you a better way to approach most if not all of those situations. A dog need never be hit. It is much easier to out think the dog than out force him. Thats just my opinion. Think about the dog's behaviour and ask what is the dog thinking while/before acting that way. Then solve it. Dont just boot it. A tap on the nose now and then i dont suppose is abusive, but even that is never really neccesary.

The "distraction" technique aswell.... WHAT? Make a loud noise or something. Any dog ive ever seen will respond to a stern voice, a clap, snapping your fingers... etc. If all else fails, get an empty plastic bottle with some pebbles in and shake it. Im terribley sorry if non of this is accurate to anyone elses standards, but i dont think hitting a dog, however hard is constructive. Dont even get me started on his makeshift choke "collar". Its just a leather lead threaded through its own handle. Leather will not slip back even when the dog stops pulling.

Hah. If he tried that with my uncle's German shepherd, Charley, he would have been eaten alive. No joke. That dog was one of the most well behaved dogs... With POSITIVE reinforcement. Some bullies broke into my uncle's back yard to try and torture Charley. They had a gallon of bleach on them. One of them went to kick Charley and Charley did some serious damage. Then one of them tossed some bleach at his face. This caused him to go even more crazy. There was three of them. One of them was never able to talk again, and the other two have some pretty bad scars.

Charley was blind after that cause of the bleach.

He wouldn't put up with any crap even after that. A trainer was trying to teach him not to jump up on people by stepping on Charley's paws. The first time Charley growled. Second time the guy had to get stitches in his leg and above his hip.

RIP Charley.

I won't dispute the first half of your message since everyone is entitle to their own opinion. I'll just make sure to skip MI on any trip I take that might lead me that way.

Now to the second part while there are 39 recognized subspecies of canis lupus. I think most people would be hard put to say that the wolf, the dingo and the domesticated dog are closely related. When you throw in coyote and jackal it goes further afield. Canis lupus familiaris or the domesticated dog falls into its own subspecies - having been domesticated for something like 15,000 years gave them plenty of time to diverge from the gray wolf from which they are descended. Is my dog a wolf - no, not really!

poor charley ' date=' some people are just evil - i have no idea what goes thru people heads when they think its fun to torment a dog! :( poor baby[/quote']

He was a great dog. It was hard to believe he was blind sometimes. Other than bumping into walls and tables. Outside it was hard to believe he was blind though. :)

He knew what type of abuse to take though. I was little when I met him and he put up with all kinds of "abuse" from me, and loved every second of it.

I think he has some good ideas. Owning yourself and your space as well as displaying the confidence in yourself get you nearly half way there when working with a problem behavior dog. I know most people here don't like corrections but it's not realistic to think that every dog and every problem can be controlled with positive reinforcement only. Even verbal corrections are still "negative" and for a truly positive reinforcement teaching... there are no corrections- of any kind.

About the video... People have clipped it down and haven't shown the context of the whole "episodes," doesn't mean I agree with what he's doing or that he's justified in doing it. I just know what whomever created that video, created it to show him in a negative light. People need to come to their own conclusions about CM, and you can't do that from watching a whole bunch of 2-3 second clips. IMO, anyway.

I think he has some good ideas. Owning yourself and your space as well as displaying the confidence in yourself get you nearly half way there when working with a problem behavior dog. I know most people here don't like corrections but it's not realistic to think that every dog and every problem can be controlled with positive reinforcement only. Even verbal corrections are still "negative" and for a truly positive reinforcement teaching... there are no corrections- of any kind.

About the video... People have clipped it down and haven't shown the context of the whole "episodes," doesn't mean I agree with what he's doing or that he's justified in doing it. I just know what whomever created that video, created it to show him in a negative light. People need to come to their own conclusions about CM, and you can't do that from watching a whole bunch of 2-3 second clips. IMO, anyway.

Very true! Dont let my opinion sway yours anybody! From this, and other episodes i have seen; i dont agree with alot his methods to be honest. But thats just me i guess. I wouldnt say that you can train a dog without any correction at all. But i definatley think there is a right and respectable way to correct a dog. Kicking it, is not either.

i have seen parts of that video before... i personally do not like him or think his methods are in anyway justified..

there is no need for any physicall abuse and lets face it if you did that to your kids to teach them thats what you would be arrested for and charged with !!!

all my dogs will do as they are told and are very well behaved.. and how have i acheived this.. by correct training..

voice / hand signals thats all i need.. mine will sit at the point of a finger not a kick or a slap .. thats totally out of order..

if anyone tried doing that to my dogs i would bitch slap them into orbit.. and thats the polite way of saying what i would do.

anyone who supports this guy is basically saying its ok to abuse animals. !!! IMO

But i definatley think there is a right and respectable way to correct a dog. Kicking it, is not either.

I'm not a fan of CM but I don't see a kick in those clips. I see a nudge. Nothing spectacular, but enough to divert the dog's attention. The way dogs correct each other is a lot more physical and probably hurts more. And as someone else pointed out, the clips have all beeen taken out of context so it's become a bit of a witch hunt.

Totally agree.

I personally like him and think he does great work with dogs. If people watched the entire episodes for every single one of those clips they might not be so quick to judge. He doesnt kick, he just taps with his foot on the dogs body to snap their attention back. Im not saying i want to copy his techniques or agree that kicking animals is in anyway good. BUT i think these clips have been cut to show him in a negative light. Prehaps people should watch more of what he does before they judge him? IN MY OPINION!

Totally agree.

I personally like him and think he does great work with dogs. If people watched the entire episodes for every single one of those clips they might not be so quick to judge. He doesnt kick, he just taps with his foot on the dogs body to snap their attention back. Im not saying i want to copy his techniques or agree that kicking animals is in anyway good. BUT i think these clips have been cut to show him in a negative light. Prehaps people should watch more of what he does before they judge him? IN MY OPINION!

I agree with the notion that these clips have been cut to show negatively. But i stand by my convictions regarding what the best methods of training are, in my opinion :)

Im glad people arent arguing, a good discussion is always nice :)

They're not exactly "hard kicks" Tbh I think people are over-reacting, I've seen the same words thrown at animal abusers.

and he is clearly not abusing them, if he did he obviously wouldn't get the results he does.

He has good principles and does have alot of good advice the calmness, the energy, tention techniques etc.

I enjoy his shows and I have used some of his techniques and they worked for me.

They're not exactly "hard kicks" Tbh I think people are over-reacting, I've seen the same words thrown at animal abusers.

and he is clearly not abusing them, if he did he obviously wouldn't get the results he does.

He has good principles and does have alot of good advice the calmness, the energy, tention techniques etc.

I enjoy his shows and I have used some of his techniques and they worked for me.

It just strikes me significantly as a last resort. Which, for me; calls into question, the strength of his other knowledge and techniques. I dont know, its like..... if everyone who has contributed to this discussion all went to the same husky meet, then someone "nudged" their dog like that... and then the dog went a bit loony... what would you think?