A Guide On Dog Body Language

Elyse

No, no, they do it to invite a shy or insecure dog to come over. A dog that struts around like Suka does may seem intimidating to some dogs. So he lays down to say "I'm not threatening. I'm totally friendly and just want to say hello!"

Watch next time and see what dogs he does this to. Did he try to approach them and they shied away/avoided eye contact/ignored him/walked a wide circle around him? Body language can be read all the way across the park, so Suka can probably tell quite quickly which dogs are approachable and which are not. And he's such a social butterfly that he probably wants to say hello to everyone!

Here's that video I was talking about before. This is the first time he ever did it, and that was this year.

hVD-02DVTtE

Hm...I have an idea to add more to the list. Do you think I should add 'other' or 'misc' behaviours, like scent marking (and the different types), yawning and what it can mean, etc?

Here's that video I was talking about before. This is the first time he ever did it, and that was this year.

Hm...I have an idea to add more to the list. Do you think I should add 'other' or 'misc' behaviours, like scent marking (and the different types), yawning and what it can mean, etc?

Nope, this one is definitely pounce-play. I could tell the second you see him that he was going to run for the other dog. See how his head is ducked level with his shoulders, and how tense he is through the shoulders? Ears are back (for Ultimate Stealth) and then he pounces!

It's too bad we can't see what the poodle is doing to hit the trigger, but he's in a very excited and playful state and Suka wants to be a part of it! He charges the unaware poodle, and the moment the poodle turns and looks at him he changes direction then goes for an introduction. It's kind of a "haha! Scared you!" He wants to interact but when it's clear the poodle isn't interested in any more than cursory introductions Suka backs off.

It's a very polite interaction!

Nope, this one is definitely pounce-play. I could tell the second you see him that he was going to run for the other dog. See how his head is ducked level with his shoulders, and how tense he is through the shoulders? Ears are back (for Ultimate Stealth) and then he pounces!

It's too bad we can't see what the poodle is doing to hit the trigger, but he's in a very excited and playful state and Suka wants to be a part of it! He charges the unaware poodle, and the moment the poodle turns and looks at him he changes direction then goes for an introduction. It's kind of a "haha! Scared you!" He wants to interact but when it's clear the poodle isn't interested in any more than cursory introductions Suka backs off.

It's a very polite interaction!

Ah, I see then! Never saw him do that before, so I was confused to what it was. He rarely plays with other dogs! :)

Ah, I see then! Never saw him do that before, so I was confused to what it was. He rarely plays with other dogs! :)

Sometimes they just need to find a dog with the right personality. It's so interesting to go to the off-leash park now with Scout. Used to be he would play with anyone and try to instigate with anyone. Now he's extremely selective about the dogs he wants to play with. Some will come up and invite him and he will ignore them. Then he tries to play with a dog that ignores him. Or they mutually ignore each other. Finally he'll find one with just the right personality and they'll have a blast.

Sometimes they just need to find a dog with the right personality. It's so interesting to go to the off-leash park now with Scout. Used to be he would play with anyone and try to instigate with anyone. Now he's extremely selective about the dogs he wants to play with. Some will come up and invite him and he will ignore them. Then he tries to play with a dog that ignores him. Or they mutually ignore each other. Finally he'll find one with just the right personality and they'll have a blast.

Huh...really? I thought the reason Suka didn't play (or, RARELY plays) is because he's an old grouch. LOL

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys would like to add to this thread (and might I say first its been really helpful!!) with a question.:anyhelp:

Before I start sorry for the long winded version!!:oops:

Last week my boy Kaspar was playing with me and was quite excited, all of a sudden he gave me a funny look and then snapped at me. I immediately scolded him and put him outside (he knew immediately he was wrong). I didn't think much of it really because he was excited (which was due to me playing with him).

But...the following day we went to my dad's farm and as he was running through a gate to the field we run them in, a man he hadn't met before carrying a ladder came against him. Kaspar raised his hackles from head to tail and really scared the man. I didn't see it which is annoying me because I would have been able to tell from the original post what way his posture etc. was.

I am quite worried about this, he really gave the man a fright. Now I do think Kaspar got just as much of a fright really as he never before met others in the field but it's been playing on my mind. Would hate to think my best boy is a danger to anyone :(

Hey Guys would like to add to this thread (and might I say first its been really helpful!!) with a question.:anyhelp:

Before I start sorry for the long winded version!!:oops:

Last week my boy Kaspar was playing with me and was quite excited, all of a sudden he gave me a funny look and then snapped at me. I immediately scolded him and put him outside (he knew immediately he was wrong). I didn't think much of it really because he was excited (which was due to me playing with him).

But...the following day we went to my dad's farm and as he was running through a gate to the field we run them in, a man he hadn't met before carrying a ladder came against him. Kaspar raised his hackles from head to tail and really scared the man. I didn't see it which is annoying me because I would have been able to tell from the original post what way his posture etc. was.

I am quite worried about this, he really gave the man a fright. Now I do think Kaspar got just as much of a fright really as he never before met others in the field but it's been playing on my mind. Would hate to think my best boy is a danger to anyone :(

Like you said, its hard to tell without seeing him and noting how his whole posture is like.

Has Kasper shown an aggression before? How old is he?

I'll ask my Dad tomorrow if hes noticed any of the signs above.

Not really to be honest, he has always been quite shy and wary. Once he has met people he is great with them. He is just over 5 months now and is really starting to come into himself. I think that's why it's bothering me, he has been so retiring until now and he is changing a bit in that he is getting more confident.

lol when you put it like that, it's a perfect description! He gives a stroppy look as if to say Would you just leave me do what I want!! He really is the sweetest dog usually but I was just a bit worried about it because it was out of character for him.

It's strange because Kuna is usually the demon heading straight for trouble but she is really calming down! I think that may be some of it too because she used to keep Kaspar very much under her paw :P whereas now he's slowly becoming more dominant.

Suka, my Sibe, licks things too (even dogs' bits). And he's neutered.

I think its an alternative way to smell, maybe they do it to get more 'information' from the scent (taste and smelling are closely connected, like as with humans) or maybe its a way to get a clearer picture by concentrating the 'scent'?

THAT IS SO GOOD, DID YOU DO IT YOURSELF? Do you mind if we can use it for our Co I will put your name on it, so people wont think it's ours, do you mind cause that is just down right good?

Hi,

Yeah...this is a list I made myself by just observing behaviour at the dog park. Sure you can use it, but you'd have to give me credit (Elyse *******) and maybe provide my email address or something. (Elyse.*******@gmail.com).

Most of the pictures aren't mine, though, only the ones with Suka are mine. All of the videos are mine, though.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Elyse, if I may ... an excellent post but I'd add one comment just to make sure the person reading is aware of it.

Any dog, who's in an aggressive stance is quite apt to redirect that aggression toward you if you interfere without some acknowledgement of the dogs aggression.  Calling their name may be enough to break the aggression, a tug on the leash may also; reaching for the collar of a dog who's in an aggressive stance is very apt to get you bit!

I realize that most of your commentary relate to dog-dog aggression / submission but owners need to be aware of the potential effect of "automatically" trying to interfere.

The other comment I have is that it seems as if the videos are no longer working and toward the end one link on HO's doesn't seem to have a target.

• 1 month later...

NEW AND IMPROVED, with better examples of passive dominance, and a comparison between rough play/playful mounting behaviour and passive dominance. Tried to use more examples of a husky (Suka) because...well...we are a husky forum after all! Dog behaviour can look slightly different in each breed just by how short the hair is (hackles), if the tail is docked, etc.

Please give me your feedback! 

• 7 months later...

I took Chester out today with hubby's folks and his daughter's family so eight of us.

We went to the Boat House in Tewkesbury. As Dave's mum couldn't manage the 13 steps up we chose to sit outside (nice in sun...got a bit nippy later) but we all had jackets or spare in car.

Whilst there, a chap came up with two Akitas - one aged 10 mths and pretty humungous (Japanese) and a smaller other kind Akita called 'Bear'.

It's the first time I've seen Chester's hackles go up but...on the man's suggestion we got them nose to nose.

I had full control with collar and nose loop on Chester. The others were in walking harnesses but still an obvious challenge to hold esp the Japanese Akita who probably was easily matching my Chester's 6.5st although more furry.

This dog altho' 10mths was, for me uncomfortably aggressive and not esp friendly to me either (I felt uneasy with his direct stare at me then Chester). The smaller Akita was ok with tail wagging and was ok on sniffing to and with Chester as he was with him.

I think Chester was more concerned with my safety against the aggression because the Jap Akita growled at us; it's the first time I've ever heard Chester growl back...pressing against me as if to push me aside to safety.

I was glad the man was leaving because I don't think he really was reading his dog's body language and certainly wasn't making any attempt to curb the apparent aggression that was coming from a very young BIG dog.

Any comments please...I really felt 'my god, if this continues as he gets older, there could be a horrid incident' as my step-grand daughter's were quite scared and stayed well back.

They love Chester and although don't see him very often they have no fear of him and listen to me instantly on dealing with him on how to approach him and not patting suddenly on the head (he lifts his head up to their hands to avoid this) but now know to approaching him and hands go beside his head to scratch below ears or under jaw.

They also know he's not especially keen on big hugs although I'm working on this in 'bear hugs' at home...he's less stiff now as he's getting used to them!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk