New Husky - Won't eat, scared of everything

Parabola

Alright, so we got Leo today. He's amazing, and the kids are extremely excited. However, some odd things - and maybe they aren't odd, but I've never had a husky before, so I'd rather here from others.

He's extremely quiet and reserved - although, the person I bought him from said he was the most energetic of the litter.

When we brought him home, at first he didn't want to go inside - understandable, when I picked him up, they had him (and the others) outside in a kennel. He probably wasn't allowed inside. So I got him inside, went, opened the back door, and he ran into the backyard no problem. A little while later - same thing, he didn't want to go inside. This time, it was like he was afraid - he'd start to come in, the wimper and back out. Did this a few times, and with some coaxing (from inside), he came in - only to freak out when I even touched the door. As I tried to shut the door, he tried to run back out, scared.

Anyways, he's comfortable with being inside now, and will go in / out with me without issue.

But now, he only spends time inside in his crate. I can get him to come out and follow me, but for the most part stays in his crate. Ok - he feels safe there, getting used to the house, the 5 kids (before they came home, he had no problem laying down anywhere).

My biggest problem though - He won't eat. I put kibble in a bowl, he sniffed and jumped back like he was scared of it. He went back up to it... turned away. I got him home at 6 - it's now 11:35, and he still won't touch it. At one point he stuck his nose in it, then jumped back and acted like it was attacking him - started rubbing his nose on his blanket so the top of his nose was being scratched, then in one motion, would wipe his nose across the blanket and hit the bowl - over and over, spilling some of the food. I'm not sure what was going on there, but he acted like the food hurt him or something.

He'll drink water fine, but no food. I even got a Kong bone, with the holes on either end to put food - and put some peanut butter on it just to see - nope, wouldn't even think about it.

Is this normal? Is he just scared / getting used to the new environment? If so, any ideas on what can help him be okay with it, and start eating?

Awww poor boy lol sounds like he's a bit overwhelmed there. He's had a huge upheaval to his world and it's totally normal Kiana was very similar when I first got her; though I'm sure the plane ride didn't help anything :P He hides in his crate cause it's his "safe" place again totally normal as you've figured out already :) As for the food is it the same as the kind he was eating before? He may just be a bit overwhelmed as I'm sure for his nose there's tons and tons and tons of smells processing at one time. Elyse is right I wouldn't worry this all sounds totally normal for a new environment and don't fret about the food dogs aren't stupid lol they won't starve themselves to death he'll eat when he's good and hungry :)

Oh, and I'm sure someone else will come along and say this but when he's settled we'd love to see pics :D it's like a requirement around here haha. Welcome to the pack!

I'd have to agree, he's probably scared to death (figuratively!) Give him a couple of days and I'll bet it changes to "Someone get that pup outside!"

Like Tiffany and Elise have already said, he "safe" in his crate - and you have told your 5 to leave him alone when he goes to his crate, right? (( It's his one safe place, you need to make sure that it stays safe for him. ))

I tend to agree with your comment about outside -vs- inside, he was probably never allowed inside and you changed the rules on him so he's unsure ... you said that he was okay later ... he's a puppy so he'll adapt pretty quickly. Just give him the time.

You didn't say whether it was the same food as the breeder was feeding, but even if it is he's probably used to fighting for his food - again, the rules have changed for him and he's going to have to adjust --- and he will.

Final edit - you relax, if you're nervous and upset and he's fixing on you then he's going to be nervous and upset ... I'd put the smiley in but I can type it faster than I can find it ... take a chill pill, charlie ... everything will be fine. (( and I know you're Justin not Charlie, just a little alliteration there.... ))

aww poor fella

as has been said he is probably feeling very scared and bewildered right now,just leave him to find his way round things for a while.

as for his food,is it what he was getting from the breeder?

if so,did she add to it?

if he is a puppy try soaking it well in water first,so it softens for him.

and above all else try not to be anxious around him he will feel this

just enjoy having him:D

Sorry everyone - after I posted, I just crashed.

Food - I'm not sure what the breeder had honestly. But I got something decent, so it may have been better, I don't know.

Oh, and he's 7 months old - and I should have pics up later today. We took a couple last night, but being as it was night - I'd like to get some today.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, as usual. This is why I love this site - You ask for help, 10 people jump in and offer advice. So much different than the tech forums I'm on lol (then again, with those, I'm much more experienced in that, so when I ask for help, it's much more complex..)

Hmmm... So I figured out it's that he doesn't like the food. So I went out, grabbed a can of country gravy (pedigree I think), poured that into a bowl -

He'll lick it, he likes the flavor, but as soon as he tries to chew the beef, he spits it out, goes, licks some more, repeat cycle - after he got the juice off, he'd spit out the beef. Is it the texture? Maybe he's expecting the hard kibble?

The behavior at 7 months old suggests that things were tough at the breeder, or where he spent time before you brought him to his new home. I only have experience with one Husky, now 10 1/2 months old, but I have a lot of dog experience and training experience. My Husky is pretty normal for what is described as the breed, but I find he is extremely sensitive, especially to correction. More so than any of the other breeds I have experience with.

In short, he is scared and there is a total lack of trust. At 7 months, this behavior will take love a lot of companionship and a gentle approach for some time, to correct. He needs to learn that he is safe and loved, once that is established should be a totally different dog.

Puppies go through various stages....and with a husky, you will discover that one of two things typically happens during the various stages. Either they whiz by them without any problem OR what happens at one developmental stage can come back and affect another stage.

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

This gives a fairly good example of the developmental stages. As you read through, you can see how experiences in one stage can affect the following stages.

This isn't to say that you haven't been given great advice already.....you have. Just throwing in my two cents.

@wjmartins - yep, we've been giving him a lot of love around the house. He mainly follows me everywhere (maybe it was the 2 hour drive home with him in my lap, me petting / scratching behind the ears)... And last night, he started to show himself - rather than not eating, he started eating... well... whatever he felt like. I'm taking him to PetCo or PetSmart today so he can find a chew toy before my wife kills me lol. Seeing as how he still doesn't care for the Kong w/ peanut butter..

@Austinville awesome link, very informative. He appears to be around this stage, which would explain.. well, everything:

May suddenly be apprehensive about new things or shy or timid of new people or situations. Most of height growing is over, but pup will start to fill out over the coming year.

Many dogs will show a rise in their level of aggression (reactivity) during this time. They may become protective and territorial. Incidents of teenage flakiness may recur.

^ Yep - last night, he wouldn't come inside when told, so I went to get him (usually just guide him by the collar, never actually pull) - he rolled onto his back. I tried to roll him over, and he got a little aggressive, tried to bite at me - I wasn't sure what to do, I want his crate to be positive, but I had to punish him somehow, so in he went for a little while.

Oops, wish I had read this part earlier lol:

This is a fear of new situations and are handled with the utmost patience. The dog is encouraged to work it out on his own. If anything, it is better to ignore the whole situation than to reinforce the fear by praising the dog or petting him while he is afraid. When you "reassure" a dog with pets and "it's okay, fella", you are telling him it is okay to be frightened and you are creating a potential problem.

Everyone, as always, I appreciate your help in this time. With the other dogs I've owned, I've just kind of played it by ear. But this isn't a dog, is it? :) I want his life with my family to be a happy, healthy one. I learned quickly I came to the right place for guidance!:thankyou:

Ok, he's eating - poured the gravy from another can of food (beef and liver) over dry kibble

I'd be careful if I were you. I thought Suka was being a picky eater for 1.5 years and kept on putting 'toppings' on his kibble. Tried multiple times to get him to eat it by itself. He never did, even when I tried to ween him off of the 'toppings' by using olive oil.

Turns out, he didn't like the taste of the kibble! So, I switched to TOTW, and he eats it right away!

Try to eventually 'ween' him off of his 'kibble toppings' after a few meals. See if he eats the kibble then. If he does not, he might not like the kibble...

Nope, they aren't quite "dogs" - they think more than any other breed I've been around! Be patient, but don't let him call the shots - either as to being too picky (as Elyse said, he may truly not like the type of kibble - I have several that didn't like the Taste of the Wild, while others love it!) about not eating dog food, or about not wanting to come inside when you want/need him to come in. They will sometimes grab your hand if you are doing something they don't like - play it by ear - don't get too tough with him, but don't back down, either. If he learns that grabbing a hand will make the human stop what the human is doing, he's likely to generalize, and use the tactic more, and with other humans!

being 7 months, you need to work and have patients, do not lose your cool with him/her...

try to feed your dog, after long walk or long jog, they tend to eat better after exercise.

and with the fear, work with some treats and always go down and kneel like a dog and be at their level, to give them courage and dont pat or her pick it up, otherwise you encouraging fear.

but again as others said, give it a week:) mine did similar things with inside, now she prefers inside then out:):)

I got Blue when he was 2 years old, and after I brought him home he didn't eat for just over a week. He was just to shocked about everything. He was a stray, he lived at the shelter for 2 weeks, they neutred him, then all of a sudden he spend 3 hours in a car and ends up in this very strange lady's home (mine :) ). He also didn't talk at all for over 2 months. Just just learned to howl last weeks, so well over a year after I got him.

Huskies are a very special breed, they have way too much brain in there heads, which means they will do things at their pace and no one elses.

As for the door issues, your dog is not the only one. My parents dog Bo was bought from a farm when he was about 6 months old, he had never been in a house before. So he beleive that if he went through a door was he wasn't allowed to go through it again, very awkward! Also he refused for almost a month to use the front door. It happens. It just takes time, love and patience.

It is going to take a bit of time to get into a routine...but I'd advise making sure that you set one up with him just to add to the general structure and predictability of the household.

As for the eating...I'd avoid toppings and the like, but that's only because I'm not willing to deal with the long term of trying to wean ours off of them. We do give them toppings as a treat or the like...when I make a roast I'll mix some of the drippings in with their kibble at meal times or the like...Eponine still won't eat kibble outside her crate...people food, whatever else she can scavange however is a different tale all together...

Your pup also may not be a food/treat motivated guy...so when you give him a kong he just looks at you like your retarded. Find out what's important to him...is affection more important than food? Is being outside for a bit more important than everything? Finding out the motivator will go a long way in helping you figure out what to use as reinforcement when training.

Fox killed another kong today...so we're ditching them for him again (it's not the first time we've had to do it, but this ones lasted longer than any of the others)...You may consider going to the meat section of your grocers...pick up a couple of soup bones...give him one (I freeze them first as they last longer and for some reason when I give them frozen there isn't a runny stool problem vs. when I don't...oyeish). Good luck!!!!