walking HELP!!!!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all thanks for all the advise, even if it caused a heated debate, i did try the halti last night and he walked like a super star, he did try and rub it off a few times with no success, i nearly cried, it was like walking someone else's dog, no stress, no pain, really enjoyed the walk, the only thing i am concerned about is the halti rubbing the fur off his nose, so am looking today to see if i can buy a more padded one, thanks again guys for all your help.

A very happy husky owner

Amanda XXXXXXXXXX

Congratulations on your success!!!:yahoo:

Just keep an eye on his nose - I've never had an issue with the halti rubbing, but I don't doubt that it could happen with some dogs. If it looks likes it's starting to rub, you can do some simple fixes such as wrapping it with vet wrap (self-adhesive wrap) to keep it from sliding, or picking up a little bit of fleece or other soft material from a craft store and making a little protective tube. Gauze wrap should do the trick too.

"Kobe" is fine walking to any destination im going to, but its just when im heading home that he goes feckin gaga. he is only 4 months old but my god he is getting really strong. My girlfriend wont be able to manage him soon.

Why is he fine going 1 way and then pulls like mad heading home ?

"Kobe" is fine walking to any destination im going to, but its just when im heading home that he goes feckin gaga. he is only 4 months old but my god he is getting really strong. My girlfriend wont be able to manage him soon.

Why is he fine going 1 way and then pulls like mad heading home ?

Because he's excited to be going home!

:dog3:

I bought a harness for Phantom today that is designed to be attached at the rear, however it has a metal ring as part of its design on the chest, so i hooked the lead up to the front and took him for a walk around the yard. It was like driving a new dog! he stayed right next to me the whole time! most of the time watching me to see what i was doing. I did also try the proper attachment point on the back as an experiment, but neither of us really seemed comfortable with that. so back on the front it went!

I'm not sure what's available elsewhere in the world but the harness i got was a KraMar adjustable harness (large size adjusted to smallest setting just fits him) and it cost $15 australian.

So I'm wondering is it the fact that when he gets ahead of me it pulls him slightly around to face me? or is it because he doesn't have the collar pulling on his throat making him more interested in what I'm doing? maybe a little of both?

Hi all thanks for all the advise, even if it caused a heated debate, i did try the halti last night and he walked like a super star, he did try and rub it off a few times with no success, i nearly cried, it was like walking someone else's dog, no stress, no pain, really enjoyed the walk, the only thing i am concerned about is the halti rubbing the fur off his nose, so am looking today to see if i can buy a more padded one, thanks again guys for all your help.

A very happy husky owner

Amanda XXXXXXXXXX

Yay that's great news.

Try softening the noseband with vaseline. literally sit in front of the tv and rub it in for quite a while. We used to do it on horse headcollars if they were quite stiff when new.

Glad you are enjoying your walks! My walks with Teeko are my favourite part of the day!

:clap:

I bought a harness for Phantom today that is designed to be attached at the rear, however it has a metal ring as part of its design on the chest, so i hooked the lead up to the front and took him for a walk around the yard. It was like driving a new dog! he stayed right next to me the whole time! most of the time watching me to see what i was doing. I did also try the proper attachment point on the back as an experiment, but neither of us really seemed comfortable with that. so back on the front it went!

I'm not sure what's available elsewhere in the world but the harness i got was a KraMar adjustable harness (large size adjusted to smallest setting just fits him) and it cost $15 australian.

So I'm wondering is it the fact that when he gets ahead of me it pulls him slightly around to face me? or is it because he doesn't have the collar pulling on his throat making him more interested in what I'm doing? maybe a little of both?

@ Amanda look here..........http://www.walkyourdogwithlove.com :)

Marty

if u read the link marty posted - it works the same way

i have the walk your dog with love harness - so do a few other members on here - which also attaches at the front - its like walking a different dog - blaze has been pulling since he was allowed on walks - now he walks next to me and weve only had the harness about a week

if u read the link marty posted - it works the same way

i have the walk your dog with love harness - so do a few other members on here - which also attaches at the front - its like walking a different dog - blaze has been pulling since he was allowed on walks - now he walks next to me and weve only had the harness about a week

does anyone know if you can get this harness in uk ?