walking HELP!!!!!!!

i also wanna mention when blaze sees the canny collar he runs n hides - he willingly lets me put the harness on him - so i know which i prefer

I've never heard of a canny collar before, so I looked up the demo video. That guy can talk about innovation all he wants - all he did was reinvent the wheel with his bitless bridle (it operates no different from many other bitless bridles that have been on the market for decades and probably used for longer). But the canny collar is not even that - it's more like a de gogue or draw reins for a dog as their nose gets pulled in when they pull into it. Not a bad idea, really, but comes with all the same cautions as a halti, though I bet a power or determined dog could still barrel through it, nose to chest.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all 3 of mine walk fine when one on one but when all 3 together then ....wooooooo steam train time..

this harness looks great if walking one dog but i dont have enough hands to use on 3 .

handy website for anyone wants to find out more

http://www.mekuti.co.uk/harness_only.htm#more

sorry but these harnesses are not a new thing the original Mekuti harnesses have been out a long time now.

Why would anyone put a harness on my dogs? If they do they deserve what they get - haha! If I put one on I would expect them to go when commanded, so I'm not seeing where the safety factor comes in?

We are clearly two different people. At the moment I'm not understanding how you walk your dogs from the contradiction of you saying that they are fine off the collar to then saying you occassionally use head halters.

The Original Poster want's to solve a pulling issue, so regardless of whether you do not see the safer benefits of working on teaching your dog when it's ok to pull and when it's not ok to pull, it's obviously important to them, and so my main focus is to help them.

Stacey xxx

I've never heard of a canny collar before, so I looked up the demo video. That guy can talk about innovation all he wants - all he did was reinvent the wheel with his bitless bridle (it operates no different from many other bitless bridles that have been on the market for decades and probably used for longer). But the canny collar is not even that - it's more like a de gogue or draw reins for a dog as their nose gets pulled in when they pull into it. Not a bad idea, really, but comes with all the same cautions as a halti, though I bet a power or determined dog could still barrel through it, nose to chest.

the reason i chose this instead of a halti as i have heard bad things about how a dog has pulled the head has whipped round due to it being connected under the chin and harming the dogs neck, also heard that it cuts into the muzzle n rubs the fur away n also raises up into the eyes too - all of which the canny doesnt do

with some training blaze might have been fine eventually but i refuse to use something my dog seemed to hate - he doesnt mind the wydwl harness so i will stick with that to teach him good walking manners and will also get a proper cani-x harness for running with him - so he learns the difference of when we are going for a jog n when we arent so im not constantly getting pulled around and ending up with sore arms and a bad back lol

We are clearly two different people. At the moment I'm not understanding how you walk your dogs from the contradiction of you saying that they are fine off the collar to then saying you occassionally use head halters.

The Original Poster want's to solve a pulling issue, so regardless of whether you do not see the safer benefits of working on teaching your dog when it's ok to pull and when it's not ok to pull, it's obviously important to them, and so my main focus is to help them.

It's not contradicting, because I use head halters as a training tool to teach not to pull, and only use it on dogs with whom my usual methods on the collar don't work. I've owned many dogs, and I've used it on some but not others. Scout liked to lean. So I used a halti to teach him not to lean and pull, then gradually switch him over to collar only. I used to carry the halti with me and switch it back on if he forgot his manners and ignored corrections, but it's been a very long time since he's had it used.

So yes, it's my answer to a solve a pulling issue.

What I don't understand is why anyone with a dog trained to pull in a harness would ask their dog to learn not to pull in a different one or put them in a harness that punishes them for pulling, which is why I said that I don't use a harness (that and collar or halti has always worked so I never bought one for a dog that wasn't trained to pull). I'm sure they could be trained to know the difference - after all, sled dogs are trained to pull by voice command, not just because they're in the harness - but why would anyone go to that extra effort when they could just say "don't pull on your collar. Ever," or "don't pull unless I say so."

So where is the issue of safety, for me or anyone else? A trained dog will still heel in pulling harness, it's just that your effective correction tool has been taken away. A poorly trained dog is a 'safety' hazard no matter what kind of equipment you have on them.

I'm not discounting no-pull harnesses as a viable option, I've just offered my two-cents on the method that I use, and when presented with the option, offered my reason as to why I don't personally use one. I have no reason to, so it makes no sense to.

Ravenwolf, the two harnesses I would recommend is the "Walk Your Dog With Love" as Stacey mentioned and the "Easy Walk" by Gentle Leader. Both are very much the same in construction as well as their usage. I'm currently using the Easy Walk Harness and I find it fantastic. I also feel better knowing that I'm not choking my dog. She started to walk along side of me right away and we haven't looked back. Again, both harnesses are great and will get great results from them. Good Luck!!!

I have the Easy Wak harness as well and it has done wonders for Willow! I noticed a major difference the very first time I used it!

What I don't understand is why anyone with a dog trained to pull in a harness would ask their dog to learn not to pull in a different one or put them in a harness that punishes them for pulling, which is why I said that I don't use a harness (that and collar or halti has always worked so I never bought one for a dog that wasn't trained to pull). I'm sure they could be trained to know the difference - after all, sled dogs are trained to pull by voice command, not just because they're in the harness - but why would anyone go to that extra effort when they could just say "don't pull on your collar. Ever," or "don't pull unless I say so."

The harness I use absolutely does not punish my dog!!!!!! And the majority of sled dogs will pull on a collar, and whats worse? Risking their trachea being ruined or showing them the difference between two harness'? Just because you've found it easy to teach them on a collar, doesn't mean everyone else is. Aleu does walk beautifully on a collar - I have plenty of videos to prove that, but I walk her in a harness as it is friendly than walking her on something that either controls their head of their neck. If you don't agree, there's plenty of resources that defend harness' over the use of collars and headcollars.

If I was working her at a show, I would work her on a collar, but when we're walking I don't want to cause harm to her neck, even if the likely hood of her pulling is very very low.

So where is the issue of safety, for me or anyone else? A trained dog will still heel in pulling harness, it's just that your effective correction tool has been taken away. A poorly trained dog is a 'safety' hazard no matter what kind of equipment you have on them.

I'm not discounting no-pull harnesses as a viable option, I've just offered my two-cents on the method that I use, and when presented with the option, offered my reason as to why I don't personally use one. I have no reason to, so it makes no sense to.

You have no reason to, but the original poster does. And I mentioned safety because you weren't making your walking clear, you made it sound as though you just let them pull you down the streets because it's their job.

Stacey xxx

agree with stacey - trust me if this harness punished the dogs there i no chance in hell that blaze would let me put it on him

with the head collar it was a battle - he would run away and hide in the tightest spots he could find, when i finally got it on him he sat n sulked with his head down n didnt want to move , use the walk your dog with love harness and he still gets stupidly excited for his walks - if it punished him (which the head collar seemed to do) he wouldnt still be happy and bouncy and woo for his walks , - i also find it better to walk my dogs on harnesses as they dont damage their neck when pulling - when blaze pulls if hes on his collar he sounds like hes having an ashma (sp?) attack and i am worried he might end up collapsing - yet on this harness he does no damamge to himself what so ever - he has managed to choke himself by pulling n a regular harness before - so there for its better for him and not punishing him in the slightest

skyla i can and do walk on a collar - but when she spots something like a pidgeon or a cat etc she will pull - so i will be getting her the same harness as aleu and blaze have - i ADORE my dogs n would never put something on them i thought would harm them - which is why - like i said above blaze doesnt wear a collar to be walked .

Personally if we are talking head collars haltis are my least favourites in terms of safety to the dog. The head collars that fasten the leash on the back of the dog's neck rather than under their chin would be more favourable IMO.

Though I still prefer a well fitted martingale, or a prong collar, plus a good training program :)

Just because you've found it easy to teach them on a collar, doesn't mean everyone else is... If you don't agree, there's plenty of resources that defend harness' over the use of collars and headcollars.

...You have no reason to, but the original poster does. And I mentioned safety because you weren't making your walking clear, you made it sound as though you just let them pull you down the streets because it's their job.

I'm not disagreeing that no-pull harnesses can work, and I did in fact express interest in the one that you displayed.

I'm not disagreeing that dogs can pull on collars. I in no way said that my way is the best way. I've acknowledge the cautions that need to be employed when using a halti. But it's worked very well for me and so I express my opinion and how/why it worked... poorly, I guess. I'm not sure where I gave they idea that my dogs pull me down the street, other than saying they've been trained to pull in harness, and I want them to do so again, but - as you've made clear - that's not the same as on a halter or collar, and they know the difference. Why can they be trained to know the difference between harnesses, but still have to pull on a collar? I spoke of training Scout, who did like to lean, but he's never been allowed to pull me anywhere.

Amanda has been given a variety of options here - she can take the ones she wants and reject the rest. I only reiterated the halti because she said she already has one, so if she can successfully work with it it will save her some money - and that's a concern for some people. It will only hurt a dog's neck if used very incorrectly - which I guess is a problem because it's not idiot-proof. But if she wants to buy another harness instead (she already has one type as well), then power to her and "yay!" if it works!

I readily admit that I have no experience with no-pull harnesses other than what I've seen at the park, where some are fine but many pull right through them. I've never had the need to try one. I'm not saying they're horrible, I don't know how all of them work (the one you displayed is new to me), and there's nothing wrong with trying one if that's what Amanda wants to do. But she's also not a bad person if she wants to try again with her halti, she's not causing her dog undue pain or hardship with it, and if used correctly she won't even need to use it anymore. It's one tool among many, no better or worse than the rest.

I never said haltis weren't good, I just stated that the wydwl is more friendly - which by far, it is.

Stacey xxx

Ultimately though we need to remember that it is the dog who chooses what it finds more aversive, some dogs are not comfortable wearing harnesses for various reasons etc :)

Hi all thanks for all the advise, even if it caused a heated debate, i did try the halti last night and he walked like a super star, he did try and rub it off a few times with no success, i nearly cried, it was like walking someone else's dog, no stress, no pain, really enjoyed the walk, the only thing i am concerned about is the halti rubbing the fur off his nose, so am looking today to see if i can buy a more padded one, thanks again guys for all your help.

A very happy husky owner

Amanda XXXXXXXXXX

Hi all thanks for all the advise, even if it caused a heated debate, i did try the halti last night and he walked like a super star, he did try and rub it off a few times with no success, i nearly cried, it was like walking someone else's dog, no stress, no pain, really enjoyed the walk, the only thing i am concerned about is the halti rubbing the fur off his nose, so am looking today to see if i can buy a more padded one, thanks again guys for all your help.

A very happy husky owner

Amanda XXXXXXXXXX

Hi all again just been looking over the posts, i would love to try one of those front leading harness' but really cant afford one at the min, does anyone have one i can try before i commit myself to spending more money, please

Thanks again

Amanda

Hi all again just been looking over the posts, i would love to try one of those front leading harness' but really cant afford one at the min, does anyone have one i can try before i commit myself to spending more money, please

Thanks again

Amanda

I have trial harness' but it would be awkward to get to you, so unless you're coming to the next husky meet in Birmingham, I'm not sure what to suggest there.

Stacey xxx

Hi all need some advice, Alfie is now 6 months old and is doing really well with everything apart from walking, I did do all my research before getting Alfie and dont mind him pulling but its getting to the point where i cant walk him alone, he pulls so hard and even tries to run while on a short lead, i have tried stopping and starting, have tried turning round and going the other way, have tried a really loud slow down which worked the first few times but nothing seems to work, I have tried to get him on obedience classes to help with walking, but all the classes are fully booked and have 4 to 5 months waiting lists, I really love walking him its just getting to hard, any advice greatly appreciated.

i know youve already tried the change direction method, but i was wondering about one point of it. At first when i tried this with my Qilaq, when i "changed direction", i literally just turned around and pulled her the other way so she was facing the same way as me again to set off walking again. Didnt work.

But then what i did was, when she was at heel i held the lead at about half its length, maybe three quarters. Then if she pulled to the point where there was no slack on the length between my hand and her harness, this is when i acted. Holding the end of the lead in the other hand, i dropped the the lead from my other hand, turned around and started walking the other way. This seemed to work, although if your husky is pulling alot it may be difficult and you'll look like youve no idea what youre doing to other people. Basically, in my opinion, i feel that when she got to the end of the lead and it suddenly stopped her; rather than it being the same as these people you see yanking the dog backwards all the time... it sort of stopped her from being able to walk on her own... and showed her that if she wants to walk (which huskies naturally do want to, and run etc etc), she has to be next to me. Not sure how many people will agree with that, but it definatley worked for me. I did NOT pull the lead ever because i wouldnt want to cause her any sort of injury, i just dropped the lead from my hand which was keeping it at half length, keeeping hold of the end with my other, turned the other direction and when Qilaq got to the end of the lead i said heel. When she got to my side, i gave her praise.

I mean, it did take a while... and it will mean that even a 10minute walk can take an hour. But it really did work for me. :) She's 7months old now, and will walk to heel, or out in front, or pull me on my bike (sort of lol..still training), and walk freely on her long lead. The main thing is to not lose confidence, or faith that you will make progress i think.

I walk Diesel with a training bag of treats on my belt on the side i want him to walk on. Got some really stinky treats in it so he can smell it when he's walking next to me, give him a treat when he walks a few steps next to me so he learns that he gets a treat when he walks well. Think he's just learnt to follow the bag now though, not a bad thing i suppose lol

Works well if your dogs food motivated :)