walking HELP!!!!!!!

Hi all need some advice, Alfie is now 6 months old and is doing really well with everything apart from walking, I did do all my research before getting Alfie and dont mind him pulling but its getting to the point where i cant walk him alone, he pulls so hard and even tries to run while on a short lead, i have tried stopping and starting, have tried turning round and going the other way, have tried a really loud slow down which worked the first few times but nothing seems to work, I have tried to get him on obedience classes to help with walking, but all the classes are fully booked and have 4 to 5 months waiting lists, I really love walking him its just getting to hard, any advice greatly appreciated.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try a simple change direction method. You dont need to use any tools if your dont want to (if you do, make sure you introduce the tool correctly).

All you do is every time they pull you too much, you turn and go in another direction. Simple to do but takes time and patience!

When they are not pulling give them loads of praise :) If he gets hyped up and starts bolting ahead of you or thinks your playing a game then what I would do with mine is just stop dead in my tracks and wait for them to calm down and focus on me.

I would try a simple change direction method. You dont need to use any tools if your dont want to (if you do, make sure you introduce the tool correctly).

All you do is every time they pull you too much, you turn and go in another direction. Simple to do but takes time and patience!

When they are not pulling give them loads of praise :) If he gets hyped up and starts bolting ahead of you or thinks your playing a game then what I would do with mine is just stop dead in my tracks and wait for them to calm down and focus on me.

Thanks for the advice, i have tried the change direction method, he just gets even more excited, the bit about giving him praise when he does not pull, there is no time when he does not pull, from going out of the door to going back in its constant, if i stop dead in my tracks he bounces up and down until i move, i was stood still once for about 10 mins before he actually stopped so treat given, good rub given, set of pulling again.

I know a lot of people don't like them, but halties work wonders for controlling pulling behaviour. It's a halter that goes around the dog's head (just like a horse halter). If the dog pulls away, their head can only go as far as the leash, and because it turns their head they can't bear down on it and pull.

I had to use it with Scout, and he hated it! But it's a great training tool. I started out by using just the haltie, then the haltie and a normal collar, now I mostly use just the normal collar, switching back to the haltie once in a while when he needs a reminder that I don't like pulling - far easier than duking it out with him!

The biggest thing with the haltie is that you have to be careful using it. You cannot jerk on it to correct the dog - this could injure their neck. You only use it for resistance - the dog will have to come about on their own. Also make sure it's tight enough - another big mistake is putting them on too loose and the dog can slip it off. If there's any fear of them getting away, just put a leash on the collar also for control.

Hi all need some advice, Alfie is now 6 months old and is doing really well with everything apart from walking, I did do all my research before getting Alfie and dont mind him pulling but its getting to the point where i cant walk him alone, he pulls so hard and even tries to run while on a short lead, i have tried stopping and starting, have tried turning round and going the other way, have tried a really loud slow down which worked the first few times but nothing seems to work, I have tried to get him on obedience classes to help with walking, but all the classes are fully booked and have 4 to 5 months waiting lists, I really love walking him its just getting to hard, any advice greatly appreciated.

Hello!

I'm sad to hear those methods aren't working for you.

Someone has already suggested a head collar or head halter, but if not used effectively, they can cause serious harm to your dog. It sadly also seems to upset a lot of dogs.

I am a huge fan of the Walk Your Dog With Love Harness. I was introduced to them earlier this year and now I don't walk my girl without it. The creator of the harness has been sending me information and trial harness' to try and get people to view this harness as a nicer alternative, which most people would agree with me on. Here is a demo I did of the harness on two border collies:

CDp4h27p0dI

The reason the harness works, is that it reduces the chances of their "Opposition Reflex" kicking in, which is a natural reflex that occurs in dogs and is one of the reasons why sled dogs pull sleds. This natural reflex happens in all breeds. Have you ever pulled your dog back on the lead and they've instantly lunged forward again?

That's Opposition Reflex.

You can't rely on the harness alone to solve your problem, but it will definitely decrease the pulling by a lot and they 100% money back guarantee that, giving you the opportunity to work with your dog in a more calm manner.

With a friendly piece of equipment like a front leading harness and boundaries set to your walks, you should be good to go! If you are persistent, your dog will understand that being with you, is better.

Stacey xxx

i started badger off on a normal collar and she was soo hard to walk,she had me over a few times from dragging me down the road lol...then i bought her a standard harness and it works wonders,she is brilliant and dont pull. a metal buckle/clip one is better as i made the mistake by getting a plastic clip one and she snapped it within 10 minutes,so got a metal one. she still gets a bit hypo an bounces as were walking but with the harness i can control her easy..hope this helps

Thanks for the advice, i have tried the change direction method, he just gets even more excited, the bit about giving him praise when he does not pull, there is no time when he does not pull, from going out of the door to going back in its constant, if i stop dead in my tracks he bounces up and down until i move, i was stood still once for about 10 mins before he actually stopped so treat given, good rub given, set of pulling again.

sounds like he thinks its one big game, but you need to be persistant these kind of things could take months!! He is only 6 months old. When I first started with Gizmo, it took me about an hour to get out of my front door without him door dashing. I taught him to sit and wait which made the door much easier.

What do you do when you get ready for a walk and what does Alfie do, before and during getting his lead, etc out

Ravenwolf, the two harnesses I would recommend is the "Walk Your Dog With Love" as Stacey mentioned and the "Easy Walk" by Gentle Leader. Both are very much the same in construction as well as their usage. I'm currently using the Easy Walk Harness and I find it fantastic. I also feel better knowing that I'm not choking my dog. She started to walk along side of me right away and we haven't looked back. Again, both harnesses are great and will get great results from them. Good Luck!!!

Ravenwolf, the two harnesses I would recommend is the "Walk Your Dog With Love" as Stacey mentioned and the "Easy Walk" by Gentle Leader. Both are very much the same in construction as well as their usage. I'm currently using the Easy Walk Harness and I find it fantastic. I also feel better knowing that I'm not choking my dog. She started to walk along side of me right away and we haven't looked back. Again, both harnesses are great and will get great results from them. Good Luck!!!

Heh, thanks - I'm not the one looking anything though! Both of my guys have been trained to pull in harness, and I ultimately want them to do so again, so I don't particularly like the idea of trying to teach them they can/should pull in one harness but not another.

I know a lot of people don't like them, but halties work wonders for controlling pulling behaviour. It's a halter that goes around the dog's head (just like a horse halter). If the dog pulls away, their head can only go as far as the leash, and because it turns their head they can't bear down on it and pull.

I had to use it with Scout, and he hated it! But it's a great training tool. I started out by using just the haltie, then the haltie and a normal collar, now I mostly use just the normal collar, switching back to the haltie once in a while when he needs a reminder that I don't like pulling - far easier than duking it out with him!

The biggest thing with the haltie is that you have to be careful using it. You cannot jerk on it to correct the dog - this could injure their neck. You only use it for resistance - the dog will have to come about on their own. Also make sure it's tight enough - another big mistake is putting them on too loose and the dog can slip it off. If there's any fear of them getting away, just put a leash on the collar also for control.

Hi and thanks for the advice, I have got a Halti only used it once or twice i felt cruel using it and people out walking thought it was a muzzle, may give it another try. Thanks

Hello!

I'm sad to hear those methods aren't working for you.

Someone has already suggested a head collar or head halter, but if not used effectively, they can cause serious harm to your dog. It sadly also seems to upset a lot of dogs.

I am a huge fan of the Walk Your Dog With Love Harness. I was introduced to them earlier this year and now I don't walk my girl without it. The creator of the harness has been sending me information and trial harness' to try and get people to view this harness as a nicer alternative, which most people would agree with me on. Here is a demo I did of the harness on two border collies:

CDp4h27p0dI

The reason the harness works, is that it reduces the chances of their "Opposition Reflex" kicking in, which is a natural reflex that occurs in dogs and is one of the reasons why sled dogs pull sleds. This natural reflex happens in all breeds. Have you ever pulled your dog back on the lead and they've instantly lunged forward again?

That's Opposition Reflex.

You can't rely on the harness alone to solve your problem, but it will definitely decrease the pulling by a lot and they 100% money back guarantee that, giving you the opportunity to work with your dog in a more calm manner.

With a friendly piece of equipment like a front leading harness and boundaries set to your walks, you should be good to go! If you are persistent, your dog will understand that being with you, is better.

Stacey xxx

Hi and thanks for the info, how much would I pay for one of these and where do i get it from, I will try anything now my arms are sore xx

sounds like he thinks its one big game, but you need to be persistant these kind of things could take months!! He is only 6 months old. When I first started with Gizmo, it took me about an hour to get out of my front door without him door dashing. I taught him to sit and wait which made the door much easier.

What do you do when you get ready for a walk and what does Alfie do, before and during getting his lead, etc out

Alfie does sit and wait, while i put on his harness then I put on my coat, then I open the door and he makes a dash for it before i can say a word.

I use halti's and they do help alot!!! but you have to very slowly adjust your dog to wearing it. get them to asociate it with treats and games before you ever try attatching a leash to it. and make sure it fits good-Because if they get it off once-they do not stop trying to get it off again. And you do have to deal with alot of annoying people asking "IS YOUR DOG MEAN" or "DO IT BITE?" becasue it kinda looks like a muzzle. BAH!

However i have decided to quit fighting the problem and work with it! and LET MY HUSKYS PULL. It's pretty much what i want them to do most of them anyhow. i run canicros,bikjor and sled with them. So getting them to "walk nice" once in a while was just a pain in the arse. So i now have the CanaDog Shorty harneses. which is a pulling harness, but it fits like a regular walking harness. (just like the manmat distance harness) And i always walk them with a handfree walking belt(mountain climbing harness actually.) It works wonders!!!

**even my 14 yr old sister can walk them no probelm at all letting them pull(in a pulling harness) and wearing the walking belt.

Hi and thanks for the info, how much would I pay for one of these and where do i get it from, I will try anything now my arms are sore xx

I can get you one for £18 or you can order them from http://www.walkyourdogwithlove.com

Heh, thanks - I'm not the one looking anything though! Both of my guys have been trained to pull in harness, and I ultimately want them to do so again, so I don't particularly like the idea of trying to teach them they can/should pull in one harness but not another.

I am currently doing this and it's working wonderfully. She can distinguish the difference between the two because she is intelligent - ALL huskies are and have the capability of understanding the difference. You've just got to put in the effort to let them know the difference and not just accept their core job.

Stacey xxx

Hi and thanks for the advice, I have got a Halti only used it once or twice i felt cruel using it and people out walking thought it was a muzzle, may give it another try. Thanks

Sheppard's advice is good advice - just gradually get Alfie used to wearing it before taking him on long walks in it - I held a treat through the hole so Scout would actually put his own nose into it instead of having to force it onto his head. It's a very strange and unnatural sensation for a dog, which is why it takes them so long to get used to it, plus it sucks because they can't pull like they want to!

Scout still isn't a fan of it, on walks he would occasionally try and 'submarine' - rub his nose on the ground whilst propelling himself along by his hind legs - and while funny as hell, it was kind of annoying. It can be prevented by just holding his head up when he tries to go down. Just so long as you are not forceful with it and no harsh jerking - think of it as a way of doing more with less. Where the head goes the body must follow. And don't let Alfie stand facing you and trying to pull away from you, always keep him at your side in a halti. When I let Scout wander ahead in a walk I would always switch him to the collar.

Misconceptions never really bothered me much - I've had people ask why my dog is muzzled when he's gaping his mouth and panting with a dog grin! I just point out it's a halter and go on about my day.

I am currently doing this and it's working wonderfully. She can distinguish the difference between the two because she is intelligent - ALL huskies are and have the capability of understanding the difference. You've just got to put in the effort to let them know the difference and not just accept their core job.

I don't doubt that they can learn the difference, but why go through the trouble of having to teach them? Mine are fine off the collar - the halti is just a training tool I use initially to teach my dogs not to pull, and only if they need it - Wyatt never did. Why fix what ain't broke?

I am intrigued by the way those harnesses work though - the premise behind them looks more effective than most "no-pull" harnesses I've seen, which in my experience dogs seem to be able to pull just fine!