Afraid of thieves...

Parabola

Just a quick intro for those who didn't see my new member post, and therefore don't know me / my situation

We are getting our first pup next Friday. We are very excited, and the kids have NO idea :) The plan is pick him up Friday (in a week), let him stay at in-laws overnight, then bring him over to "wake up" the children early Saturday.

Anyways, onto my question -

My wife brought up a good point. I'm not sure how common it is other places, but here, it's fairly common for pure-bred Huskies to be taken from people's yards. So my problem is this- Can I leave him in the yard overnight? Do I bring him inside? If so, how often do I need to get up to take him outside? (By the way, he's 7 months old, half potty trained [which we'll have to restart since he'll be in a new environment]). What about Monday's and Tuesday's, when no one is home at all? How can I keep him inside, without a designated place to use the bathroom? We unfortunately do not have a door for him to get outside, and may not be able to get one (we are renting the house). I'm at a loss, and not sure what to do. Any advice?

Oh - My house is a corner house, with a public facing fence on 3 sides if you count the front :( Hence why I'm so worried.

I too am worried about thieves which is why my two are in their crates in the loungeroom when i leave the house and have been since day one of joining our family. They are also indoor dogs and sleep inside at night. I'm not sure what you can do with leaving them for long periods of time. Mine are only on their own for a maximum of 3-4 hours.

I would not make him sleep out side he will not like it. My Kaiden is home alone during the day for about 8 hours let out every now and then by my mom and dad and is fine in his cage but as soon as I get home we get out and play and I allow him to sleep in my room with me so that he is not crated 24 hours a day. On Mondays and Tues can anyone let him out in the afternoon? The general formula for how long a dog can "hold it" is their age plus 1 so ideally he could hold it for 8 hours but any longer than that and you might have problems! But since hes not house broken that might not even matter as he might lift on the couch thats a whole other discussion. He is going to be home a long time alone you will need to crate him until you know he can be trusted or you will inevitably come home to some ruined items

I don't live in the greatest area, but I know my neighbours, and I know I have the only white husky in town. That said when my dog is outside he is always on the lead, more for his protection and to keep him from escaping than for theives. My mutt (its a term of enderament, i promise) sleeps inside, actually in a bed, and he usually steals my blankets.

Never forget that huskies are pack animals. That means they want to be around there people. Also remeber when you were a kid. You prefered to sleep with mom and dad right? Same idea. Sleep is when you are most vulnerable, himan or dog, and there is safety in numbers.

This isn't to say you can't leave him out overneight, but do you really want to get a dog and leave him out all the time?

Personally, if his (sorry, assuming he's a he) is not house trained, when you're not home either crate (with will involve crate training) or get a designated area for him, entrance, a room with not too much furnature, etc, that way you don't get messes all over the house. He doesn't know better yet, it happens.

As for nights, I would have him sleep inside, either in a crate, or get him his own doggy bed or trow or blanket or what have you. Set a space aside just for his bed, it's always there and he know its his space.

I might not have the perfect solutions, and some might disagree with me completely, and that's okai. My mom throw a silent fit when she found out my mom was sleepng with me. To each there own.

I have no problem whatsoever letting him sleep inside - was planning on it actually. On that side, I was just curious on how often I needed to get up and take him out.

The part I was worried mostly about was the 8 hours that no one would be home on Mondays - Tuesdays, it's only about 4 or 5 hours. I have no problem letting him stay inside - I prefer it. I'm just worried about him needing to go.... I guess it's a good thing we are planning on a whole new set of living room furniture soon? lol...

But just to clear up - I want him to be indoors, no issue there. I have NO plans to ever leave him outside on his own. If I'm outside, he can go out. If I'm inside (and the kids are) - he will be inside. I'm just worried about times.. lol.

I guess I'll go ahead and start by keeping him indoors (which will be permanent) while we are gone. He's going to make a couple messes... that's expected. As far as someone coming over, I may be able to get an in law to come by. That's the only person I can think of.

Here in Montreal Huskies are rarely seen, which surprises me because the cold weather lasts 7 months plus, but the one's that are here many are stolen. The reason being because owners here tie them outside to a tree all day. I could never do that to my girl. She's a pack animal and wants to be near her pack(family). Her state of happiness is when she's with us....

Would definitely suggest crate training for this :) They typically view the crate as their den, so they'll hold off on pottying in it until they can be let out (no one wants to pee in their bed!). Crating him when you need to leave the house protects your house from destruction, and him from getting into something potentially harmful too.

At 7 1/2 mo, once he's potty trained and settled into some sort of schedule for sleeping, you probably won't need to let him out during the night even if he's not in his crate.. just take him out right before you go to bed and he'll get the idea.

edit: I don't know about 8hrs, I try not to leave mine for more than 6 without a break.. can no one go home for lunch break or something of that sort during those days?

At 7 months old, once he has been potty trained, then he should be able to last the 8 hours... My pups both sleep in our bedroom, just Togo sleeps on the bed at the bottom or by my side.. Maya sleeps by my girlfriend on the floor on her side of the bed... Togo is now nearly 5months and he can last from about 1:30am (normal bed time) until about 8;30am... So he manages to last 7 hours over night, i just make sure i feed them aroud 7pm every day and they have no more food after that and always take them to potty right before we go to bed... It is to the point now, where when i wake them up in the living room and take them out to potty, they know its bed time and head for the stairs as soon as they come back in.

Crate training will be a good idea though, my pups only use their crate for a safe haven through the day to rest now and have the kitchen to roam if they are alone (although they are oly usually alone for 4 hours maximum) ad we have had 1 or 2 accidents in the kitchen, but it is always right next to the door, and i know that they had held it for as long as they could, just if accidents do happen, dont punish them for it or ever shout at them... Instead, just clean it up without any fuss and then take them outside and when they potty there, praise and treat them for it.

Ok, I was misunderstanding the crating thing - I wasn't thinking "close the door" lol. I realize it's an ok thing, and many do it... I've just never felt comfortable locking a canine into a cage lol. So basically, by keeping him in the crate, he will see it as his den, and therefore will hold off going. Got it.

I really appreciate everyone's help, I just wasn't sure what to do. Everyone on this site has been so great and helpful!