Would your husky protect you?

I have rescued Mya from a pound from being purely treated badly, had bite marks and was scared from all humans approaching her.. I adopted Mya after she was only 1 yr old. After 10 months with hard work with training and introducing her to human activities, I was amazed with the results.

When I first adopted Mya (purebred husky) my family was scared from her wolf style looks and her growls towards my 2 month old baby boy, Mya was first curious, sniffing and licking my boy's face.. I slowly began to wonder if I had done right thing to bring a strong breed to my family, my son is now 1 yrs old and walks the dog with my wife (who was telling me from start to get rid of the dog). During session of a walk, my wife and son was attacked via 3 dogs, and Mya lost one of her eyes while she protected my family.

Treat your dog like your best friend, and they will protect you, especially huskies:)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her other odd trait is that she is very protective of me, even with my husband. If she thinks that he is coming to me she is at my side and he can't touch me or get near me, she will bite him and she means it. She has run of the house and at night she sleeps in the bed with us. She is right up to my side, if he gets up to use the bathroom, he has to be careful not to put his hand anywhere near me because she has bite him. I hear this and tell her Yukon, let your dad back in the bed and I have to pet her to let him back in. I would hope that if someone (a stranger) tried to hurt me and I had Yukon with me that she would attack, which is usual for a husky.

I told him that it was the ride home, when we took her for her litter mates she howled and they howled for her to be put back. When we finally got in the car for the 200mi ride home I held her on my lap with her head on my shoulder and she sleep the whole ride home. I kissed the top of her head and petted her all the way home and my husband asked me what was I doing and I said I'm trying to bond with her. She was a puppy then (not a small puppy) LOL and still to this day she will jump in my lap and put her head on my shoulder like the ride home, I think she never forgot that ride home.

Does anyone have any idea's on this, I don't want to change her wanting to protect me, which I think is just odd for a husky because they are usually laid back dogs. Her barking at strangers at the door just makes me laugh. If I have a service person come to the house for my internet of any service I have to crate her because they think that she is bad because that think that I have a dog that is a wolf. :eek: When she is in the car and I run into a store real quick people walk 5 cars away from my car because of her looks. I saw one man petting her once and I told him, I see you know about huskies. LOL

Personally I don't think it's appropriate for a dog to be defensive without cause. I know some people on here don't subscribe to the alpha/omega mentality, but I think this is a classic case. There could be many reason why your dog feels the need to "protect" you from strangers, ranging from she doesn't think you're capable of defending yourself or perceiving threat to straight up possessiveness. You need to be firm, confident and in control to say "your wariness is unfounded, I got this one." Dewey comforting over everything just solidifies in their minds that they need to look out for us. At best, stroking and saying "it's okay, baby, he's just here to check the meter, he's not going to hurt you. Be nice, baby!" translates to "I'm not comfortable with this guy either but please don't fight!" And that's classic omega jaw-licking - acting as peacemaker to prevent violence instead of being a leader and saying "there is no reason to worry here, so I don't want you starting anything."

Not letting your husband back into bed is possession - of you, of the bed. It's not cute, it's not appropriate and it should not be tolerated. You need to change up the ownership of the bed, because it may get worse to the point where she won't allow your husband on the bed at all! Only let her onto the bed when you invite her up, and if she growls at your husband, you need to send her off the bed. This tells her "I don't want you to protect me from him, and since you don't like him here YOU can leave." Petting her and pleading with her reinforces her behaviour. Don't fool yourself into thinking that it's you convincing her it's okay for your husband to get into bed. She's making her point, then allowing him to get in on his own side, so long as he minds his distance from you. I cannot stress enough how much this should not be allowed!

You also don't have to worry about "breaking" her of her protective nature. Setting boundaries will not dissuade her if she genuinely feels that you're threatened (and on top of that in such a situation you won't be correcting her!). But she needs to learn that it's not cool to assume hostility from everyone, and it's especially not cool to treat your husband - a packmate - that way. He too, should ultimately be able to send her off the bed, but it needs to start with you.

Bandit usually sleeps on the floor at the foot of my bed, I've designated it as her place by putting out a blanket and a toy there. She understands it and rarely comes up on the bed unless Im overly inviting her up. Otherwise the only time she jumps up on the bed is during the day when we're playing about. In which she'll run out of the room away from me then come running back into the room and jump on the bed and lie down and stare at me until I approach her. Then she takes off again.

I've encountered a few people while out walking that Bandit completely disliked, she lunged, growled and, barked at a select few people. She also responds to "ow" and will do everything in her power to seize the source causing me to say ow. I've trained her this way and, she has no proactive defensive/aggressive issues otherwise. I believe I have instilled the pack mentality within her, she picks up on when I become nervous and responds appropriately.

If she was subjected to an encounter in which I was in danger, she would stand her ground. If the person or animal rushed her, she would run away and circle. Until she had a chance of her own to rush the person/animal. Whenever I have her out playing with other dogs, she is fine aslong as the other dog doesn't get aggressive. She usually ignores another dogs growl, but will pin the dog instantly if the other dog snaps at her. For the most part she'll go for the neck regardless if its just to pin or attack. And much like a Rottweiler or Stafford Bull Terrier, Bandit will start a ripping motion throwing herself side to side while ""locked"" onto the offender. Bandit will attack if you run from her, not out of the hell of it but because she knows when you've done something you shouldn't have. Wether its harming me or trying to break into the house. This is the only time I've feared her while playing cause she tries to jump up on my back.

Im not sure what Bandit would do if I were too go after somebody, as in defending myself. She usually just tries to mediate the situation and, she has went after me when I chased after my ex. But I think it was because she saw my ex as part of the pack. Hopefully should wouldn't go after me in a situation where I had to defend myself against someone or something that wasn't part of our pack.

Personally I don't think it's appropriate for a dog to be defensive without cause. I know some people on here don't subscribe to the alpha/omega mentality, but I think this is a classic case. There could be many reason why your dog feels the need to "protect" you from strangers, ranging from she doesn't think you're capable of defending yourself or perceiving threat to straight up possessiveness. You need to be firm, confident and in control to say "your wariness is unfounded, I got this one." Dewey comforting over everything just solidifies in their minds that they need to look out for us. At best, stroking and saying "it's okay, baby, he's just here to check the meter, he's not going to hurt you. Be nice, baby!" translates to "I'm not comfortable with this guy either but please don't fight!" And that's classic omega jaw-licking - acting as peacemaker to prevent violence instead of being a leader and saying "there is no reason to worry here, so I don't want you starting anything."

Not letting your husband back into bed is possession - of you, of the bed. It's not cute, it's not appropriate and it should not be tolerated. You need to change up the ownership of the bed, because it may get worse to the point where she won't allow your husband on the bed at all! Only let her onto the bed when you invite her up, and if she growls at your husband, you need to send her off the bed. This tells her "I don't want you to protect me from him, and since you don't like him here YOU can leave." Petting her and pleading with her reinforces her behaviour. Don't fool yourself into thinking that it's you convincing her it's okay for your husband to get into bed. She's making her point, then allowing him to get in on his own side, so long as he minds his distance from you. I cannot stress enough how much this should not be allowed!

You also don't have to worry about "breaking" her of her protective nature. Setting boundaries will not dissuade her if she genuinely feels that you're threatened (and on top of that in such a situation you won't be correcting her!). But she needs to learn that it's not cool to assume hostility from everyone, and it's especially not cool to treat your husband - a packmate - that way. He too, should ultimately be able to send her off the bed, but it needs to start with you.

I agree:) setting boundaries for the dog is a exercise for them and will provide respect and trust to both you and the dog...

also make sure you are the alpha pack leader, as being human, you need to control your dog not other way around... get in habit to put your family as your leader role and you will see big change..

I am really curious about this as well. Bella thinks everyone wants to know her and would probably jump up and try to lick them. She is almost a year and has been really friendly and open to everything except door stoppers and vacuums. I have noticed that she is becoming a little more cautious and is barking more than she used to. I like to think she would protect us but she would probably let them in and show them where the silver is.

A guy tried to mug me while I was out walking Anik and my ex girlfriends fat Labrador...man I miss that dog. You could talk to him in normal sentences and he knew what you were saying. Best dog ever.

Anyway, it was the Lab that intervened and saw the guy off. Anik was totally oblivious and just carried on sniffing the ground as per usual.

If Anik perceives trouble he looks to me, as his pack leader I guess, for reassurance and doesn't take it upon himself to do anything.

I think this is a good trait as I'd rather him be friendly all the time than aggressive if he reads the situation incorrectly.

i would have said no..... darwin loves everyone!!!!!

but i was walking my pack and i walked past someone who i hate and who likes to harass me...

echo my gsd was none the wiser and carried on but daughtry my female husky, spread her feet..her ears went flat and she growled the deepest (f u) growl ive ever heard.....just staring and growling at that person....

i managed to pull her away and get her happy again but ive never seen her like that....the other two dogs did nothing and daughtry is the sweetest dog ever

I have rescued Mya from a pound from being purely treated badly, had bite marks and was scared from all humans approaching her.. I adopted Mya after she was only 1 yr old. After 10 months with hard work with training and introducing her to human activities, I was amazed with the results.

When I first adopted Mya (purebred husky) my family was scared from her wolf style looks and her growls towards my 2 month old baby boy, Mya was first curious, sniffing and licking my boy's face.. I slowly began to wonder if I had done right thing to bring a strong breed to my family, my son is now 1 yrs old and walks the dog with my wife (who was telling me from start to get rid of the dog). During session of a walk, my wife and son was attacked via 3 dogs, and Mya lost one of her eyes while she protected my family.

Treat your dog like your best friend, and they will protect you, especially huskies:)

How terribly sad that your lovely dog lost an eye.

It just goes to show how brave the huskies can be.

You have done a marvelous job rescuing her and it sounds like she has been through so much in her short life.She must have been unsure about humans,hence the growling initially because of the bad treatment she had endured.

It sounds like you have worked hard with her and she is now your best friend.

Teeko loves everyone and I have always said that I don't think he'd do a thing to protect me....he'd just watch and wait for me to sort it out.

But tonight out walking it was very dark and there were a few groups of dodgy teens loitering about. Even though teeko had a potential 100foot of lead he didn't stray more then 10feet away from me and kept coming back to see how I was doing. He didnt flinch when one toad through an egg at us but he did step closer beside me and had his alert head on (head up, tail up). I think he's an awesome dog! He sticks close when i'm ill aswell. Still don't think he'd protect me with aggression but I do think he likes to know i'm alright.

Love my fuzzball!

Thank you all for the information. Yes I do think that she thinks she owns everything and just lets us live here. I have been away for awhile, but now she sleeps on the floor by the bed or under the bed. I will correct her in a firm voice, I don't believe that hitting a dog is the correct way to change something. I have never hit one of my dogs, just don't think that is a way to correct a dog. She may get a tap on her hind quarter to tell her stop that, but that is all she gets a tap.

Thank you all for the great information. :)

I've been thinking about this.

Harley sees me grappling and fighting and sparring and normally just goes to sleep, or wants to join in with the ground fighting which can give some nice comedy moments. If something happened when I'm out I'm torn between him thinking its just training, or whether he will pick up on my changed emotions...hmmm...

With regards to a person attacking me think Nix would just "woooooo wooooo wooooo" at them but don't want to test the theory mind you i'm probably more scarey than Nix.

Having said that I have a stroppy terrier in foster at the moment and whilst being groomed yesterday he decided he'd had enough and tried his best to bite my hand twice. I then discovered huskies can fly! who knew? she pinned said stroppy terrier to the sofa then chased him out the back door. So she would protect me in that instance.

In all honesty I'd perfere she didn't protect me, that why she stands no chance of getting herself hurt, and it's my job to protect her not the other way round.