Would your husky protect you?

I should elaborate as to what made me ask the question.

At the weekend,I came across a break in at one of the buildings in the grounds.Again they came during the day.It shook me up as it is secluded there.

Police checked cctv and said looked like a "druggy" who is desperate to grab what he can.He has been before.

My dogs picked up the scent and were acting very alert,Blue was barking and wooing a lot.:woohoo:

I worry about the chance of coming across one of these low lifes and what would happen with the dogs.

On two occasions in the past,when strange guys had walked into the grounds they have reacted like crazy,Max always goes on his hind legs and looks big and mean and woos really loud.Blue barks erratically,though I think he is just nervous,but again looks alarming when he tries to bungee towards people!:)

One of the lads came out of the bushes with his hands in the air!!(my sister had shouted out-"get him Max",which seemed to do the trick)he was shaking and Max was making a commotion,bouncing towards him,dragging my sister along.:dog3:

Thankfully both occasions were people crossing through,when they shouldn't have been,nothing sinister.

I have been considering adding a German Shepherd to the pack to make me feel safer as I walk for hours every day with the boys.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you want a dog that loves the pack to death and is known to defend against wolves, go Caucasian, but i think a German will be much easier to socialize with strangers in the park for example, plus GS are very smart and comply easily which im sure you'll love after owning a stubborn breed like a Sibe LOL.

From a wild animal, I'm positive she would protect me, when she's with me in the forrest I haven't got a bit of fear, cos I know she would attack any wild animal or a dog that has wrong intent.

She already proved it to me when we came close to a bear, she started growling at him and gave us a warning, cos we wouldn't see it in the forrest. Good thing she was on a leash cos she would attack him.

Butt with humans, she might lick 'em to death:doglick:, that's about it, butt who know, maybe if I was attacked she might protect, not really interested in finding out though.:D

That's interesting how they are different with animals and scary for you to encounter a bear!

I suppose I am lucky in that respect that we have no scary wild animals here in the UK just dodgy people!

Both my dogs have so many sides to their personalities and are amazingly gentle souls too.

I think they know how you feel so if scared,may react differently.

I really hope I don't ever have to test the theory.

Well if you want a dog that loves the pack to death and is known to defend against wolves, go Caucasian, but i think a German will be much easier to socialize with strangers in the park for example, plus GS are very smart and comply easily which im sure you'll love after owning a stubborn breed like a Sibe LOL.

Yes a GS will be like a walk in the park after training with stubborn Sibes!!

I have already been checking out rescues:)

....Rusty is not a typical traited husky. He is not sociable with humans and takes him a while to warm up he acts very shy. He is very protective if I so much as say ouch he comes running with his mean face on until he sees that I typically hurt myself. Then he is all kisses. As far as another animal he goes nuts if another dog comes in our yard and we are out there too. He loves other dogs a lot exept when they come up to us befor him..lol

It's interesting how different huskys can be.

My Max is a gentle giant but if my other half play fights with me,he will gently grab him and pull him away,or push his body between us so he cannot touch me.He is definitely aware of what is happening to me.

I have some that I think would defend me if they truly thought I was being threatened - others, I'm not so sure of! Raf is also shy, and would likely bark, but not with any real assurance. More like Timmy in the well (help, help!) than Lassie pulling Timmy from the well! I have no doubt that my old guy I lost at the end of July, Shad, would have given his life to protect me if anyone had broken in and he felt I was threatened, however...

I understand what you mean,the difference with the individual dog comes into it.

Max is so close to me and tuned into everything I say and do,I do think he would react if he thought there was a threat.He does seem wary of some men and once someone asked me innocently,but loudly for directions he went towards them barking,he scared the beejeebes out of them!

He does seem to want to dominate most men though.:)

Max won't let anyone play too rough with me and always steps in,with his gentle jaw on my other halfs arm if he plays the fool.He only uses enough pressure to pull him away.

He might be stronger with a real threat.Hope I never need to find out.

I worry that these criminals will try and take the dogs from me also.

So sorry that you lost your lovely Shad,I have never lost a dog as Max is my first but feel a knot in my stomach when I think of it.

I briefly looked on the rainbow bridge section a few weeks ago and felt my emotions heightened,then came the tears with empathy as I read the words that meant so much.I had to stop reading.

:(

We did have an experience when we rented a cottage in summer 2010, though. We were cooking a fish I caught that day (OMG - smallmouth bass is really good!!) and we heard an animal moving through the woods.

It sounded like a huge animal, but we couldn't tell because it was dark. Suka was very tense and kept on looking in a particular spot. He wasn't moving. Wasn't making any noises. Just watching and listening. I was getting tense too, because I know Suka wouldn't react that way around deer. He's seen deer before, and he was NEVER that tense.

So, my family and I quickly went inside after I urged them to go. We brought in our fish with us. xD

In the morning, I looked around. I saw bear tracks; looked like a black bear made them. Scary, eh?

But, if the bear actually did decide to charge us...Suka would probably run. I don't want to test my theory, though...

Sounds like you had a lucky escape!That bear was after your supper and Suka could hear and smell the bear!Yikes!

Dakota would. He has alerted me on several occasions when someone was in our yard. He does this really low growl and it's the only time he does it. He knows the difference between someone using the sidewalk and someone entering our yard. Several years ago he had a very interesting reaction on a camping trip. There was a walking trail right next to our campsite and he was fine with people all weekend except for one man that walked on that trail by us. He ran right to him and walked right beside him doing the low growl until he passed our campsite. I was kinda in shock and just sat there since I had never seen him do that before. The guy didn't see me and was watching Dakota the whole time saying "Good doggie". Dakota doesn't like most men. He never has and he usually stays away from them so for him to "walk" that guy out of our campsite was what shocked me. There has been other occasions of him barking madly with some men and I notice he always makes sure I am in his line of sight when someone triggers this behavior in him.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape!That bear was after your supper and Suka could hear and smell the bear!Yikes!

Oftentimes even the scent of a dog is enough to deter a bear - black bears can be bold, but they aren't particularly brave, and in some parts of North America dogs are used to harry them, so they're pretty leery of the scent. So long as you don't have the kind of dog that will go harass the bear, then come running back to momma when the angry bear pursues!

Dakota would. He has alerted me on several occasions when someone was in our yard. He does this really low growl and it's the only time he does it. He knows the difference between someone using the sidewalk and someone entering our yard. Several years ago he had a very interesting reaction on a camping trip. There was a walking trail right next to our campsite and he was fine with people all weekend except for one man that walked on that trail by us. He ran right to him and walked right beside him doing the low growl until he passed our campsite. I was kinda in shock and just sat there since I had never seen him do that before. The guy didn't see me and was watching Dakota the whole time saying "Good doggie". Dakota doesn't like most men. He never has and he usually stays away from them so for him to "walk" that guy out of our campsite was what shocked me. There has been other occasions of him barking madly with some men and I notice he always makes sure I am in his line of sight when someone triggers this behavior in him.

Sounds like he picked up the mans energy and it wasn't good.

The more I think about it,my boys react to certain men,and Blue barks at one in particular as if warning him.

I know that this man does not like dogs,so maybe dogs are reading the negativity in humans?

Oftentimes even the scent of a dog is enough to deter a bear - black bears can be bold, but they aren't particularly brave, and in some parts of North America dogs are used to harry them, so they're pretty leery of the scent. So long as you don't have the kind of dog that will go harass the bear, then come running back to momma when the angry bear pursues!

I am sooooo glad there are no bears in the UK!!!LOL!

That's all I need,a bear in pursuit of my cheeky boys!

Where in the world are you situated?

lol...i dont think bella would protect me when oh and me play fight she joins in or just trys to lick us also have experience with when oh has come home and we havnt heard him come in he walks into the room bella will jump bark once and then run away....so atleast i get the warning bark but then she goes and hides lol

I understand what you mean,the difference with the individual dog comes into it.

Max is so close to me and tuned into everything I say and do,I do think he would react if he thought there was a threat.He does seem wary of some men and once someone asked me innocently,but loudly for directions he went towards them barking,he scared the beejeebes out of them!

He does seem to want to dominate most men though.:)

Max won't let anyone play too rough with me and always steps in,with his gentle jaw on my other halfs arm if he plays the fool.He only uses enough pressure to pull him away.

He might be stronger with a real threat.Hope I never need to find out.

I worry that these criminals will try and take the dogs from me also.

So sorry that you lost your lovely Shad,I have never lost a dog as Max is my first but feel a knot in my stomach when I think of it.

I briefly looked on the rainbow bridge section a few weeks ago and felt my emotions heightened,then came the tears with empathy as I read the words that meant so much.I had to stop reading.

Thank you - he was my best friend, as his mother before him was, and like your Max, was very in tune with me. He's the 3rd generation I've lost so far - it doesn't get any easier! I will say, however, that what they add to your heart is greater than the amount they take when they leave... That said, I get too sad reading the Rainbow Bridge posts, too, so I often don't!

lol...i dont think bella would protect me when oh and me play fight she joins in or just trys to lick us also have experience with when oh has come home and we havnt heard him come in he walks into the room bella will jump bark once and then run away....so atleast i get the warning bark but then she goes and hides lol

:lolman: Your Bella is similar looking to my Blue:) He's like a cheeky little blue eyed fox!

Adorable!

post-7406-13606853668879_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

post-5380-13585993188986_thumb.jpg

Thank you - he was my best friend, as his mother before him was, and like your Max, was very in tune with me. He's the 3rd generation I've lost so far - it doesn't get any easier! I will say, however, that what they add to your heart is greater than the amount they take when they leave... That said, I get too sad reading the Rainbow Bridge posts, too, so I often don't!

How fantastic to spend your life with so many huskies,what a priviledge. You are richer than most people!:)

To have lived with 3 generations is amazing and to know that you have given them the best life possible,doing what they were genetically born to do,run.

Compared to you I am a novice but these beautiful creatures have changed my life and I feel so lucky to have them with their pure hearts.

How fantastic to spend your life with so many huskies,what a priviledge. You are richer than most people!:)

To have lived with 3 generations is amazing and to know that you have given them the best life possible,doing what they were genetically born to do,run.

Compared to you I am a novice but these beautiful creatures have changed my life and I feel so lucky to have them with their pure hearts.

Yes, I have been blessed! Unfortunately, the current generation hasn't had much opportunity to run much. :( Before I divorced and moved, I had a place where I could run off my property, and friends to help. Only recently since that move (7 years ago, now), have I been in a situation where I could get some help, thanks to Becky/Austinville, who lives nearby, and also loves the dogs!

I have to admit Kaiser would.......... but only if it's me ex :yahoo:i don't know if he was picking up on how depressed I feel when I see him holding back the tears but whatever reason he was he stood in front of me barking, growling, teeth barred the works. he as never done this with anyone and I was really shocked because every animal loves the ex he's a magnet for them. I'm not saying it's a good thing and he got a no for it etc because obviously when he's bigger i wouldn't want him to go for him or anything hell no but I have to admit inside I'm smiling and feeling loved (as strange as that sounds) and as tiny as he is I felt safe, this is probably ramble but I know what I mean hehe :P

I'm pretty sure Blue would protect. We ran into a dog that pissed Blue off, and Blue told him what's what. Okai it was a jack rusell, but still . . .

There was also a man at a parade . . . Blue loves everybody! He's so VERY husky! But this guy, when he came over to pet Blue, Blue throw a fit, hackles up, growling, no teeth, but still nice and pissed off.

There was also the incident when my enighbour's got broken into. (some quick background, my dog thinks my neighbours and their 150lbs mastif are part of the pack). Early one monring (arounf 8am) on a weekday, some guy was running away from something or other and decised to go into my enighbour's house to hide. Neighbour screemed, Blue woke me up freaking the hell out! I have never heard those pained helpless noises come out of my dog before. Now Blue was in my house, I don't know what he would have done had he been in the yard, but my money in on my dog. Everytime.

Bo would be as useful as a chocolate teapot. Ollie I think may be more protective even though we have only had him two weeks. Bo doesn't move when the door bell rings and doesn't even get up if someone wants to get by. I can just see a burglar stepping over him to get in or out.

I think that I have found the right place to talk about one of Yukon's odd traits. Like I said before she is my thrid husky, Juneau and Kodiak were just laid back and would not hurt a person. Yukon is just different, first off she barks at the back door if a stranger knocks or UPS puts a package at my door, but if it my Mother she wages her tail. I have never had a husky that barks.

Her other odd trait is that she is very protective of me, even with my husband. If she thinks that he is coming to me she is at my side and he can't touch me or get near me, she will bite him and she means it. She has run of the house and at night she sleeps in the bed with us. She is right up to my side, if he gets up to use the bathroom, he has to be careful not to put his hand anywhere near me because she has bite him. I hear this and tell her Yukon, let your dad back in the bed and I have to pet her to let him back in. I would hope that if someone (a stranger) tried to hurt me and I had Yukon with me that she would attack, which is usual for a husky.

I told him that it was the ride home, when we took her for her litter mates she howled and they howled for her to be put back. When we finally got in the car for the 200mi ride home I held her on my lap with her head on my shoulder and she sleep the whole ride home. I kissed the top of her head and petted her all the way home and my husband asked me what was I doing and I said I'm trying to bond with her. She was a puppy then (not a small puppy) LOL and still to this day she will jump in my lap and put her head on my shoulder like the ride home, I think she never forgot that ride home.

Does anyone have any idea's on this, I don't want to change her wanting to protect me, which I think is just odd for a husky because they are usually laid back dogs. Her barking at strangers at the door just makes me laugh. If I have a service person come to the house for my internet of any service I have to crate her because they think that she is bad because that think that I have a dog that is a wolf. :eek: When she is in the car and I run into a store real quick people walk 5 cars away from my car because of her looks. I saw one man petting her once and I told him, I see you know about huskies. LOL