Would your husky protect you?

Has anyone out there ever had an unfortunate experience where their husky has had to protect them?

I know the breed character trait is that Siberians are really quite gentle and soft and would be terrible guard dogs,but recent discussions with people seem to be of the opinion that if the worst came to the worst,and the dogs witnessed an attack,then they would be protective.

I am not so sure about this.

I have watched an account of an American guy on Discovery that was under attack from a bear and his husky stayed with him,snarling at the bear and warding off an attack until help came,he said he owed his life to his loyal husky.

Is this the exception to what a husky would do if someone was under attack from a person or animal?

I am interested to know of members views and experiences.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Rusty is not a typical traited husky. He is not sociable with humans and takes him a while to warm up he acts very shy. He is very protective if I so much as say ouch he comes running with his mean face on until he sees that I typically hurt myself. Then he is all kisses. As far as another animal he goes nuts if another dog comes in our yard and we are out there too. He loves other dogs a lot exept when they come up to us befor him..lol

I saw that same show. I laughed because Wyatt would be all "don't worry! I'll get help! See ya!"

In all honesty, I don't know what my guys would do in such a situation. They are both gentle souls, though as big of a pushover as Wyatt is he did once go after a little dog that "attacked" Scout. Basically, we were at the park and Scout was playing with a bunch of dogs, then turned around and completely mowed down a little bichon cross. The little dog screamed as Scout stumbled over it, and Scout backpedaled quickly away, while the bichon got up and leapt forward, all "you son of a bitch I was walking here! Watch where you're going you big klutz!"

Well, Wyatt saw that and went "oh no! My brudder's in trouble!" He rushed over before we could stop him and grabbed the bichon by the back of the neck and pinned him to the ground. Didn't hurt the little guy, just put him down to save his brother.

Scout shows defensive qualities, but he's not a brave dog. He'd have to really fear for my life to step up, I think. We were rushed by a loose doberman once, and thank the gods Scout let me handle the situation! I commanded the doberman to git in a voice that my sister is convinced could turn a charging bear, and spin on its haunches it did. But if Scout had have shown any aggression at all toward that dog I don't have a doubt in my mind that things would have gone badly - the doberman was, well, being a doberman and guarding its property with its life. Instead Scout stayed at my side and trusted me to handle it.

I have some that I think would defend me if they truly thought I was being threatened - others, I'm not so sure of! Raf is also shy, and would likely bark, but not with any real assurance. More like Timmy in the well (help, help!) than Lassie pulling Timmy from the well! I have no doubt that my old guy I lost at the end of July, Shad, would have given his life to protect me if anyone had broken in and he felt I was threatened, however...

:(

We did have an experience when we rented a cottage in summer 2010, though. We were cooking a fish I caught that day (OMG - smallmouth bass is really good!!) and we heard an animal moving through the woods.

It sounded like a huge animal, but we couldn't tell because it was dark. Suka was very tense and kept on looking in a particular spot. He wasn't moving. Wasn't making any noises. Just watching and listening. I was getting tense too, because I know Suka wouldn't react that way around deer. He's seen deer before, and he was NEVER that tense.

So, my family and I quickly went inside after I urged them to go. We brought in our fish with us. xD

In the morning, I looked around. I saw bear tracks; looked like a black bear made them. Scary, eh?

But, if the bear actually did decide to charge us...Suka would probably run. I don't want to test my theory, though...

I dont honestly think Marley or Bear would protect me but when we had Rosie she would have, we were out on the scooter one night and a car came speeding round the corner on the wrong side of the road. I had to pull her back quick and had a few choice words for the driver. He got out of his car in an agressive manner and she started to growl and snarl at him so he got back in his car quick and drove off. She did have an aggresive streak in general though as we discovered so maybe thats why.

It's not something I would like to find out but I suspect Polee would protect her 'Pack'. She is protective of her Grannie and will growl at strangers who come to the house if it's just Polee and Grannie at home. Due to her size and peoples unfamiliarity with the breed her presence is enough to make most people think twice.

Without a question, NO.

I've been in situations on walks when faced with a group of nasty guys and all he did (instead of picking up on my vibe and growing tense) was to go towards them to greet them! It's a good thing they thought he was charging them and went round us, but he was really being friendly.

I think it only once happened that he got a bit nervous when I was walking past some guys who started commenting about me and the dog, but that's that. No other sign like barking, growling etc.

If I were in a really threatening situation, I am pretty sure Kremlin would be very confused and basically, do nothing.

I don't know about my father though; he is extremely attached to my father (more so than everybody else) and would perhaps react in a different way.

I seriously doubt it. Luna's a scaredy cat underneath a confident exterior, if she's in a situation she doesnt like she comes running back to her mum & dad! If it was us being threatened I think she would just pick up on the fear & hide behind us.

Although Luna has a tendency to jump up at strangers which some people misinterprete so I'm hoping I never have to test her courage

I have been in that situation, some strange guys on the field at night tried to scare me by jumping out from behind a bush, Alfie went up on his back legs in front of me and they legged it, I have never seen him do this before i think it was the fright, it was really dark and he put hiself between me and the nutters, dont know if he was protecting me or they scared him but it worked.

Hmmm...Harley looks to me when there's trouble and calmly let's me deal with it. However, i do believe if my wife was attacked he would see to it that she is alright.

Reminds me of the dog that made me fall in love with spitz dogs, cody the malamute who played nanook in The Lost Boys and Wolf in Dr Quinn. He died from injuries sustained defending his sled team against a bear attack when he was about 10.

I saw that show too! It was really awesome... made me smile.

I like to think Viggo would protect me, but he is very friendly towards all humans. So I have my doubts. But one never knows truly. Tika, on the other hand, can be standoffish (towards men especially). He barks a lot at them and I can honestly say, I think if someone tried to attack me, he may bite.

LOL LOL LOL, no way, never, my dogs are not protection trained therefore I wouldn't expect them to "protect me". Micha would potentially protect himself if threatened and he was backed into a corner but his first reflex would be to run away - flight definitely not fight.

Hmmm...Harley looks to me when there's trouble and calmly let's me deal with it. However, i do believe if my wife was attacked he would see to it that she is alright.

Reminds me of the dog that made me fall in love with spitz dogs, cody the malamute who played nanook in The Lost Boys and Wolf in Dr Quinn. He died from injuries sustained defending his sled team against a bear attack when he was about 10.

:jawdrop: He did? I did not know this! I loved that show and loved the dog. :(

My buddy originally had 2 Huskys and later got a Caucasian Shepheard (most fiercest guard dog hands down).

When i asked him the same question he said it depends on what the leader feels and when they're with the CS they're hostel towards strangers but when he walks them alone they're normal loving Huskys.

BTW- this is a Caucasian Shepherd :eek:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HccF5tEkXIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From a wild animal, I'm positive she would protect me, when she's with me in the forrest I haven't got a bit of fear, cos I know she would attack any wild animal or a dog that has wrong intent.

She already proved it to me when we came close to a bear, she started growling at him and gave us a warning, cos we wouldn't see it in the forrest. Good thing she was on a leash cos she would attack him.

Butt with humans, she might lick 'em to death:doglick:, that's about it, butt who know, maybe if I was attacked she might protect, not really interested in finding out though.:D

My buddy originally had 2 Huskys and later got a Caucasian Shepheard (most fiercest guard dog hands down).

When i asked him the same question he said it depends on what the leader feels and when they're with the CS they're hostel towards strangers but when he walks them alone they're normal loving Huskys.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HccF5tEkXIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched that, plus a couple of other REXANO vids there, that "poor little pussy cat" takes more abuse at the hands of those dogs ... LMAO!!!

Dana definitely no - she is scared of anything that's not familiar to here. Glala probably no as well, but I haven't yet experienced anything that comes even close to this situation yet. I'm pretty sure they'll just look, want to do something, but are afraid to do anything because of the "unfamiliar" (whatever that may be - lets hope that won't get answered!)

Omg!

The Shepherd looks so nice ,fluffy and fearless!

Wonder if they have grown up together,prob as so playful with their body language.

I have been considering adding a German Shepherd to my pack to protect us all!!

Or maybe a tiger!!!LOl!!!That's the solution!!:D