Please help me with Koda

So - as you know - Koda came to live with me tonight. And i need advice please guys :D

He is 18 months old, not neutered, get on FANTASTIC with my boys so no issues at all there HOWEVER....he isn't crate trained :( He slept on a bed with his mum

Issues i have:

I have a cat

Both Kimba and Kaiser are crate trained and never make a peep in their beds

Koda will go in his crate, let me close the door, feed him treats and walk away

2 mins after leaving he kicks off and my two do the same

Normally, to crate train i'd give myself time - ideally a day, where i leave him a bit more each time he goes in but tonight i can't.

Do I:

A) crate him in front room with me on the sofa

B) Crate him and leave him like i do with Kimba and Kaiser

C) leave him in the front room with me sleeping on the sofa

A and C would be until Thursday when i'm off work and i can really work with him and the crate before camp.

He's had a massive upheaval today and i know he will stress out in the crate.

Anyone any ideas?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

start as u mean to go on hun or you may find your self starting all over again, so if A/C then when it comes time for B your gonna start from scratch. Maybe B but with you on couch so you can let him know you are there, till he settles and get's used to it xxxxx also a jumper of yours xxxx

Is he freaking out all the time, or just in the crate?

Suka isn't crate trained either...we haven't really found a need for it as at least 1 of us is home 95% of the time...so I can't provide any advice on that. I hope everything works out!

(And congrats on getting Koda!)

yeah his owner sent his blanket with him so it has their and his smells on

well do as i do then .. go to bed.. let them follow ..and let them sleep your side of the bed... works for me ..mine have had a treat and are not sprawled out to my side and will stay there quietly till my alarm.. ..oh yeh and dont forget to smile sweetly at Marc,whisper "i love you" by the time he realises whats happened you and the boys are fast asleep..:lolman:

Storm did the same thing when she was younger and like you She HAD to go in the crate 'cause I had to go to work. She cried for about half an hour then eventually settled when my mum came down stairs and lay on the sofa whilst Storm was in the cage. Maybe you could try that for tonight then he won't mind too much when left in the crate when you go to work. I think its a comfort thing with them, as long as they know they will not be abandoned then he will get used to it . . . eventually lol xx

D) Definitely D)

In case you forgot plan D): take the rest of the week off work to spend time with him so that he feels nice and secure and happy then bring him to camp and hand him over for me to look after him for you for the next dozen years or so.

I have to agree with Linda, start as you mean to go on. Although im not very good with advice as when we had Rosie, even though we were told she was crate trained she clearly wasnt and she made the most horrible screaming noise that stressed me out to the max (so much so that one time when I was trying to crate train her, I put my headphones on to escape the noise for 5 mins but it was so loud I ended up smashing my laptop keyboard through anger and stress)

2 words - Epic Fail :(

He screamed all night first off he escaped - all went quiet and i thought YES!!!! then i heard him padding around the front room :duh:

came back down sellotaped all the edges so now he cannot get get - but he bent the bloody bars at the bottom :( :(

So he was screaming - Kimba was howling - yes - my baby who i thought was a broken husky HOWLED ALL BLOODY NIGHT!!!!!!!

God my neighbors are going to hate me. Finally caved in about 5.30 this morning - went to bed at 12 so he had 5 1/2 hrs of crying. came down didn't fuss any of them, let them out to do their business, left back door open and crashed on sofa i am so so tired i feel sick