Do Huskies Change Color?

Jattsoorma

22448720844345937551331.jpg

That used to be his color. And that was 7 weeks. Now at just 4 months his whole tail is turning darkish grey/black. I can see the the undercoat is white with a blackish tone to it. the bottom part of his stomach is turning grey.

Does this mean he will no longer be brown in a year or so? will the black take over his fur color. That would suck cuz i loved his brown color.

I would guess that he will end up being sable - the reddish color underneath, with a banded black guard coat. When the guard coat comes in over the puppy coat, they often do change color somewhat, anyway. From year to year, they often will be a bit different in color - not sure what all affects the color... Genes are part of it, but I suspect that nutrition, minerals in the water and diet, and probably other factors (sunlight would be one) play a part in the color, as well...

http://www.huskycolors.com/

My black and white siberians tail has started to get a red tint to it, im not sure how common it is though

That's quite common with black dogs - the reddish color can come from sunburn, but it also tends to happen as the coat ages. When new coat comes in, it is usually dark/back to black again, as long as the dog isn't out in the sun a great deal (where it would burn again!).

Yeah, I think they do change overtime. Mine used to be gray and white when he was a month or two old. And after just 3 months I think he's now a black sable if there's such. And yes, like one pack member said a while ago, it is basically due to genetic and environmental influence ;)

The reds tend to change more than any other colour.

This was our Ute a few weeks after we had imported him from France.

UTwoBath2.jpg

This was him a year later

Utesouthampton1.jpg

He tends to go much lighter during the summer and reverts to a darker colour during the winter months.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...