Afraid of water, sometimes?

Hey everyone

Just curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience to me. The first time i took Maya to the park i walked with her into a stream of water and when she got about 3 feet into the water she sort of freaked out. Its not like shes scared of the water because she'll swim with me and float on a raft for hours but for some reason when she walks into a lake or stream she kind of loses it and takes off running. Since i had her on a leash she took off running and got to the end of the lead and tried running in the other direction to get out and did this until i got out of the water. I noticed her do this the other day on our walk when she went through a puddle of rain water too.

0705001231.jpg

005.jpg

Maybe she had a bad experience with water puddles when she was a puppy?

And, at least your girl swims with you. Suka (my boy) avoids water like it causes him physical pain - also doesn't like being rained on or getting wet.

When I first got Bo he would walk around puddles as if they were plague infested. He also wouldn't go into the lake except just to get his toe nails wet because he made the mistake of jumping off the bank to get at some ducks and did a submarine impersonation. Now he loves to dig in puddles and is happy to paddle through them as well as going chest deep in water. This is all thanks to walking with a couple of other huskies who are happy to trot through puddles and go into the lake. Ollie has only seen the lake 4 times in the 10 days I've had him and he went swimming in the water yesterday to chase after some ducks and loved it. I think dogs take the lead possibly from watching other dogs or from having either a good or bad experience.