Bailey. RIP

mike_p

HB3S9982.JPG

It is with heavy heart that I make my first post on this forum. I regret that I didn't come across the forum until it's too late.

My lovely Bailey was hit by a car on August 20th. Although he remained alive and appeared unmarked, he had suffered a blow to the head causing brain damage: he was paralysed. I took him to the vets and the vet immediately diagnosed the condition and advised me that there was little hope that he'd ever regain normal movement. Through all this he was clearly conscious as his eyes would follow me and react. He must have been totally bewildered and confused that he couldn't sit up or wag his tail. So with a very heavy heart, I signed the consent form and through floods of tears I consoled and caressed him as he slipped away.

HB3S0255.JPG

Bailey had come into our lives back in November. I am very active in GSD rescue, but had a call from someone who urgently needed to rehome his Husky and had been unble to find any rescue that would take him. He was on the verge of having Bailey PTS. Why? ... Bailey had killed a cat in front of the children and they were now terrified of him. Bailey was only 11 months old at the time.

So Bailey came to live with us and our three cats, our two GSDs, our Utonagan and two foster GSDs.

Here he is with Angel, the Utonagan.

HB3S9741.JPG

It was an absolute pleasure to have enjoyed his company for the past nine months. He was a very special dog, very loving, very cheeky, very demanding and wonderful at helping with other dogs. He was my constant companion and he delighted people wherever I took him. In the car he'd insist on sitting in the front passenger seat watching the world around him with great interest. At home he'd always be within a few feet of me and used to sleep under our bed.

On my regular visits to the kennels where we keep rescue GSDs, Bailey would come and help. He was brilliant with other dogs, especially those that didn't like other dogs: when a new dog-aggressive dog came in, I'd put Bailey in with them. They'd try to attack or dominate him but, with amazing agility, he'd simply jump around so that he was always facing them. He wouldn't retaliate. After only a few moments, they'd realise he was no threat and they would settle in his company and become friends and play.

HB3S0387.JPG

He used to come walking with friends with other dogs and mixed well...

HB3S0302.JPG

HB3S0405.JPG

And here he is just looking gorgeous...

HB3S0452.JPG

I often hear that Huskies have very poor recall, but ...

HB3S0441.JPG

HB3S9941.JPG

I desperately want him back and keep thinking I can replace him, but of course that's impossible. I want another Husky, but that would be unfair because all the time I'd be comparing him with our "Cuddly Bailey". I guess I'll just have to wait and see what life throws at us.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Run Free Bailey.

You have lots of Husky friends waiting at the bridge to guide you.

So Sorry that your first post is so sad.

We have a Rescue GSD "Echo" a gorgeous white girly. (She's actually our second 'rescue' white. Bear who passed away 18 months ago was our first)

and as many members here have discovered she is very protective of her 'Pack'.

Welcome though, we would still like to hear of your life with Bailey.

Firstly Mike, Welcome to Husky Owners.

I can't say how sorry I am for your loss especially at such a young age.

It sounds like he had a wonderful wonderful life with you and knew that you'd given him that second chance. He sounds an amazing dog.

I know what it's like to make that awful decision but you selflessly put his needs before your own. One day the pain will be easier (a little) and you'll be able to look at pics and laugh at his antics.

RIP Bailey :rip:

Mike I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Huskies seem to have the uncanny ability of creeping deep into your heart and filling an emptiness you did not even know was there.

I admire your work the GSD's, that must keep you very busy. Husky rescue is also something close to a lot of people on this forum.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Would love to hear more about the work you do with the GSD's.

Angel is also very beautiful :)

Welcome to the pack, I am very sad to hear this. It's great that you were such a wonderful owner for him. Even though it caused his ultimate pass, I bet he loved all the freedom that he managed to get before the accident.

Most of us here that have huskies use 100ft leads so as our huskies can run around, it may be something for you to consider if you ever decided to get another?

Stacey xxx

Staceybob: In the first few days he was with us I was using a long line (can be seen in the photo with Angel), but soon realised that his desire to run was overwhelming.

We got into a routine on our daily walks where I'd let him off lead at the start of the walk and he'd put his ears back and RUN! After a few minutes, he'd coming running back and then he'd stay in touch for the rest of the walk. Just occasionally, he would decide to extend the walk towards the end, so I learn't to put him on a long line about two thirds of the way round.

The day he got hit, our routine was broken because someone in the car park (a policewoman!) was a husky fan and he went back to her for additional attention and then set off to find me again, but in the wrong direction.

To me a major part of his character was his free spirit - combined with a desire to be with people - and although ultimately it was a factor in his death, I do believe the quality of his life was worth maintaining.

In his moments of freedom he made many friends. On one occasion I had a phone call from a horserider on the other side of the common: he met them and had been trotting alongside so she jumped off her horse and read my number from his tag. She told me he'd been perfectly well behaved but she'd worried he was lost. I thanked her, and asked her to let him go. A couple of minutes later, he was back with me.

I do listen to advice and can assure you that when (not if!) I have another husky we will carefully consider whether it is appropriate to let him off lead.

HB3S9789.JPG

WOW !!!

So heart wrenching, really sorry for your loss but at the same time happy for the beautiful memories and wonderful photographs that you have of a life that if it wasn't for you would not have existed to this point. I start my day with a sad heart and I will make sure and cherish every moment I have with Boone,

Thank you Mike for sharing your sad story, I would love to let Boone off lead, I see him running on his long lead and think yeh I could let him off but always stop because I lost him once when I was nieave and don't want to go through that again,

With all our love to you and Bailey,

Andy and Boone.

R.I.P Bailey run free with all the others over the bridge baby boy!

i'm so sorry for your loss this brought tears to my eyes:cry1:

he was truly a gorgeous boy and i can imagine the pain you are going through

please dont torture yourself with ifs and buts,take comfort in the happy memories you have of him and the happy life you gave him.

i do hope one day when you feel up to it you will rescue again and give another girl/boy a forever home

but please please anyone and everyone......learn from this.

sleep tight lil' fella free from pain!:rip:

Requiescat in pace, beautiful boy.

So sorry for your loss, Mike. Siberians really are unique dogs, such unique personalities, unlike any other breed I've ever encountered. I hope in time you can open your home and heart to another Siberian in need. Don't beat yourself up over this, it was an accident. If you have another you'll know the danger. Siberians were created to run and sometimes that innate drive results in tragedy.

(((((Mike)))))

Thank you Mike for sharing your sad story, I would love to let Boone off lead, I see him running on his long lead and think yeh I could let him off but always stop because I lost him once when I was nieave and don't want to go through that again,

I let Sarah offlead in a fenced baseball field to let her run her little heart out. If you can find a large fenced area, letting them run free is a beautiful sight! But I would never let Sarah offlead without fencing. Her recall has been very good but I just can't take the chance, KWIM?

Hi Mike, and a sad welcome to our family. Those pictures of Bailey are precious, Bailey was quite obviously a one of a kind Husky (( as they all are! )) There is something about their personalities that make them, IMHO, such excellent companion dogs.

From working in rescue, you know you can never replace any friend in fur we've had, we can only hope to find another who someday will bring back the love and the memories ... and the smiles at those memories.