Defragmenting...

xLOBOx

Soooo I've been working with this IT guy at work all day on my laptop since its a mess....and I'm doing a deep defrag and I swear it's been going for 3 hours now and only at 30%! Is that like...normal? Haha. I had a total of nearly 5,000 files that needed to be fixed/removed from the computer...I definitely wasn't expecting that!

Anyways.....I hope my laptop is working better after this freaking thing finishes!

Ext3/4 also have an online deframentator. It always works in the background. This works fine until you have your partition about 90% filled. For big files (like explained in this article) in ext3/4 I honestly don't know. If I would have very big files I would probably use Reiserfs anyway ;)

Just to include at least _something_ for the non-geeky people here: If you use ntfs (what Windows uses by default) you WILL need to manual deframentate it once in a while otherwise it will get slow over time. It's more of a requirement to do this actually. And it is normal for it to take aaaages to run.

Can't remember last time I had to defreg a drive ( years ago ) don't see to need it these days unless you got a really old comp :eek:

You should try it and then you WILL notice a speed increase... If you don't I'll give you a big ol' imaginary check for $1

Just do it before bed or you go out or something :P

Depends on size of drive, speed of drive, storage type, fragmentation, operating system and software used to defrag ...

And for those who think because you use xyz its good and you dont need to defrag thats incorrect. Files are stored on a physical disk which adds and removes metalic markers and therefore the second you remove a single file, you drive is fragmented even if its by a very small amount. The only exception to this rule is SSD drives and people who are using striped raid configurations, which should not be defragmented as doing so can actually slow down the access time.

Depends on size of drive, speed of drive, storage type, fragmentation, operating system and software used to defrag ...

And for those who think because you use xyz its good and you dont need to defrag thats incorrect. Files are stored on a physical disk which adds and removes metalic markers and therefore the second you remove a single file, you drive is fragmented even if its by a very small amount. The only exception to this rule is SSD drives and people who are using striped raid configurations, which should not be defragmented as doing so can actually slow down the access time.

Though all drives fragment, ones like EXT3 tend to keep the data much better than NTFS drives, so you don't "NEED" to on them as much as NTFS or FAT32 and the improvements won't be as noticeable.

While ext3 is more resistant to file fragmentation than the FAT filesystem, nonetheless ext3 filesystems can get fragmented over time or on specific usage patterns, like slowly-writing large files.
~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3#Defragmentation

Though all drives fragment, ones like EXT3 tend to keep the data much better than NTFS drives, so you don't "NEED" to on them as much as NTFS or FAT32 and the improvements won't be as noticeable.

~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3#Defragmentation

Ahh .. as much indeed, however since they are run on an OS that also doesnt need reinstalling as often, then you are likley to have to defrag it at some point :P