Ever Seen a 'Show Quality' MOUSE?

Some people will already know this having followed my threads in the past, but I am now a registered NMC (National Mouse Club) breeder of show quality mice in the agouti and cinnamon varieties :D I've had them for a while now; I bought a trio consisting of one cinnamon buck and two agouti does from one of the most respected breeders in the fancy and within the last week or so the two does have both dropped litters (after a mere 3 week pregnancy ;) ).

These are the original three:

The cinnamon buck

5897488531_eefd23a37d_z.jpg

The two agouti does (the one on the right is particularly big and stunning!)

5897490645_231470ef3c_z.jpg

The doe on the right had her litter first, they are now 11 days old so should be opening their eyes soon. This was them at 9 days old:

6080946450_ef838c6db0_z.jpg

The other doe had her litter 4 days after so her pups are 1 week old today. This is them at 5 days old:

6080945496_d10258797b_z.jpg

In both photos the lighter ones are the cinnamons and the darker ones are the agoutis :)

I've had problems in the last few days because a respiratory infection has found its way into my stud. This is common among new studs so I'm not exactly surprised, but it has infected my cinnamon stud buck, the second nursing doe and two of the pups from her litter (the two agoutis in the last photo) so I'm now worried that I'm going to end up losing all but the doe with the other litter and her 5 pups (all does!!) which means I'd be stuck, but I'm in contact with other breeders to hopefully arrange getting another buck in to rescue me :P

I've still got a while to go until I can show any of these - I'm hoping to make my showing debut at a show in Manchester in November :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are so cute! I like mice and rats. I use to own a hooded fancy rat named Sickle. I hope to get 2 males soon. i would love to get some dumb teddy bear rex rats but they will be hard to find here in KY.

How big are the mice? They look much larger than the pet mice we have her. Are they larger because they are show quality?

Good luck with showing :D Look forward to seeing more pics.

Yeah the mice in the UK are very different to those you'll find in the US. The US only really have what we would call 'pet type', that is smaller size, pointier faces, smaller ears, thinner tails etc. In the UK we have pet type too, but we also have the show type like the mice I have. These mice have been selectively bred for about 150 years to look the way they do, something you don't have the benefit of over there which is a shame. I think there are possibly 3 or 4 breeders in the entire US that have mice that resemble the UK show mice (I think they were imported), but for some reason I can't comprehend they have decided to selectively breed for tails that are almost twice the length of the mouse which has led to them becoming kinked, thin and just horrible looking :eek:

Here's a photo comparing pet and show mice:

jqjkm0.jpg

Yeah the mice in the UK are very different to those you'll find in the US. The US only really have what we would call 'pet type', that is smaller size, pointier faces, smaller ears, thinner tails etc. In the UK we have pet type too, but we also have the show type like the mice I have. These mice have been selectively bred for about 150 years to look the way they do, something you don't have the benefit of over there which is a shame. I think there are possibly 3 or 4 breeders in the entire US that have mice that resemble the UK show mice (I think they were imported), but for some reason I can't comprehend they have decided to selectively breed for tails that are almost twice the length of the mouse which has led to them becoming kinked, thin and just horrible looking :eek:

Here's a photo comparing pet and show mice:

jqjkm0.jpg

It interesting to see the difference. Seems like the show mice in the UK are about the same size as the fancy rats we have here. Sadly most of the mice sold here are used more for snake food than for pets :( I know snakes need to eat but many people write mice and rats off as being nasty when they aren't. I always got strange looks ---> O.o when telling people I had a pet rat

I used to keep mince and rats when I was younger. I had the pleasure of buying one from Harrods one day while on holiday and transporting it back home on the train in a box. The look on people faces when they looked in the box with Harrods all over was a picture. They expected to see a lovely fluffy kitten or puppy, and staring back at them was a pair of beady eyes and a wiry tail haha.

I used to have 2 albino pet mice, 4 russian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinese dwarf hamsters, a syrian hamster and a dumbo rat (my favourite, called Rodger!)

I never really seen many show mice, do they cost much? And do they make nice pets? they sure are pretty!!!

Not really. Pet type mice will cost anything from 50p to £3 - any more than that and the person's being a bit cheeky! Though I've heard of pet shops charging up to £8! Show type mice will cost £3-5, with only the really good mice (one that either can be shown or will produce showable young) at the higher end. My mice were £5 :D

They make really great pets. They're small and actually prefer smaller spaces so you don't need a massive cage, they don't eat much at all, need cleaning out once a week, are really cute and come in a whole bunch of different colours, and can get really tame and friendly :) Does are better to keep because bucks tend to smell. Also you can't keep bucks together because they'll fight, whereas does prefer to live in little colonies of 2-6.

Very cute - but you can keep them! I have too many of the little country mice around, who will like to move in to house and kennel in the next few months - yuck! (Wouldn't mind them so much if they would move into cages and let me clean up after them that way!)