'Coughing up Hairball sounds'? HELP!

Elyse

This has been going on for some time. I don't know what is causing it or how to fix it.

But, some mornings (usually early in the morning), Suka wakes me up frantically asking me to go outside. He makes noises like a cat does when it is trying to cough up a hairball. I take him outside, then he proceeds to eat a TON of grass. Then, sometimes he dry heaves (like he is goin to throw up.) and sometimes he does not.

If he does not dry heave, he usually eats more grass then lies down outside. He seems fine after that.

This has happened before I switched his foods over, too.

He is currently on Taste of the Wild (Prairie Formula) that is fed once a day. (1 1/4 cups) at supper time. (6:30pm)

He is sometimes given treats throughout the day (milkbones, usually.).

This situation happened again this morning; except now he is lying comfortably on my bedroom floor as if nothing happened. Help?

Could he have swallowed some string and its stuck somewhere near his throat?

Most likely not; this has happened multiple times before. He doesn't eat things that aren't food or that doesn't smell like food. (He smells everything that's put in front of his nose; even things clear not edible like pieces of paper.)

how long has it been going on for?

sounds odd, Sounds kind of like symtoms of kennel cough, but if he had that then I'd assume its abit more regular through the day :confused:

It's been going on since we got him, I guess. (2 years ago.)

But it doesn't happen every morning; this morning's case was the first time in 2-3 weeks. It is very irregular and I can't find a pattern as to why it happens. I talked with the vet on the phone too and she has no idea either.

When he eats grass, does he vomit it back up with some bile? It might just be, if that's the case, that he's feeling a little empty and nauseous early in the morning. A lot of my dogs will go out and eat grass in the morning (although I haven't noticed them sounding like they're coughing up a hairball), and often will puke it back up...

I wonder if it could also be that his throat is just dry in the morning - kind of itches/tickles, and he wants to eat the grass to help 'scratch' the itch/tickle away?

you can try feeding him half at regular time, and the other half of his food before going to bed, to rule out him being hungry or feeling empty. my boy does the puking reflex but doesnt puke at all every now and then, which is usually something stuck in his throat. or he sits down and eats leaves just because he wants to eat something.

When he eats grass, does he vomit it back up with some bile? It might just be, if that's the case, that he's feeling a little empty and nauseous early in the morning. A lot of my dogs will go out and eat grass in the morning (although I haven't noticed them sounding like they're coughing up a hairball), and often will puke it back up...

I wonder if it could also be that his throat is just dry in the morning - kind of itches/tickles, and he wants to eat the grass to help 'scratch' the itch/tickle away?

I'm not sure - this morning it looked like he swallowed it so I couldn't tell you the colour.

And I'll try separating his meals - maybe once at noon and the other time at supper? 6.5 hours apart should be enough, right?

Thanks for the help, so far!

• 8 months later...

I notice this thread is several months old so I am wondering what, if anything, came of the situation. I was browsing through old posts to see if anyone had anything about this very topic because my puppy is doing this. She acts fine before and after but it does look just like a cat trying to cough up a hairball!

Taz did the same thing - almost every day! Just a hacking, it didn't last too long, he would usually hack twice and then after the hacking, he would look like he was vomiting, but nothing came out. We never figured it out, so I almost figured it was kind of like a hairball situation.. maybe some hair stuck in his throat from cleaning himself, which he would do all the time and he shed heavy year round - even I found myself having to clear my throat, as his hair ended up in my mouth at some point everyday, lol!

An update on the situation, then...

He (Suka) still does it from time to time, but the problem has mostly gone away since I've been feeding him more.

It basically boiled down to an empty stomach and his stomach acids were irritating his stomach lining because of that.