16 Days and happy

Marc

Once upon a time Sarah my wife had a thought about something that she thought would be a good idea.

I was spending a lot of time building a gaming forum online and it was driving her nuts due to the time I was spending online, just sat at my computer typing away, occasionally chuckling to myself and enjoying myself on a forum which was built around people who had similar hobbies. It has been something that I have enjoyed for years, and something I wasnt willing to give up for the world.

Sarah wanted in on the action, and I relutantly built her a forum that would never work, she would never be interested in, and would last 2 mins in reality. That forum was called husky owners.

The reality is that my wife and I actually enjoyed the same things. Forums!! Even though we hadnt quite found the right forum for ourselves, or even realised that we both had that same idea, husky owners was born. One night I set up a basic forum built on a licence I had aquired from some forum lost since gone and I thought I would use for "Something or other" at some point.

So a few days go by. My dad (Dunc) joins the forum and is made one of our first super moderators on the forum. A couple of moderators long since gone from the forum came and went and we were good to go. One of our other very early staff however being Amy (Siberian Wolf) who although has been very very quiet of late due to commitments at home is another very big part of this forums building.

So enough with the history lesson, I just want to say both me and Sarah are really happy about something. Earlier this year I posted up to get some meets around other parts of the globe due to the size we have now got to. In 16 days time I am happy to say that we have our very first camp (VERY much thankyou to Gigi and Becky (Sutsibe and Austinville) ) .

TO ALL OUR USA MEMBERS:

We started this in the UK, and when we started we had a similar amount of people on the camp. You very first camp in the US is your IOWA camp. Cherish it and visit as many as you can. We now have a LOT of member at the UK camps due to keeping it going each year and I have to say we really really enjoy them.

Congrats on your first camp guys. Enjoy it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a great post Marc :up:

Hope all the USA members have a great camp and dobt forget the pics for us to look at ;)

I agree Marc very good post ...

I wish I could make this camp but I have to concern myself with getting my own place to live rather than this rented 'caravan'.

Er .... about the pictures, I'm not too sure that I'd want to see all of them! Methinks this group (here in the States) might be able to get HO banned if they aren't careful.

For those who are going, enjoy guys and know that I wish I could be there as well. //al

Thanks to you and Sarah and all of those who've put in alot, its come far and we all want to take it farther and longer-thank you for this first meet here in the US-this is her first Husky pup (my wife's), our first event like this, and first meet in the US-alot of firsts for all of us, and we can't wait! Just want to thank all of you responsible and those who can make it also, it will be our pleasure to meet you all! :up::camping::thankyou::D:yahoo:

@Marc and @Sarah, THANK YOU! Great post. We are stoked here in Iowa. There is a lot of anticipation, for me anyway, to actually arrive in Ackley, Iowa, for the First USA Husky-Owners Meet. I can hardly wait. Hats off to @Austinville and @sutsibe. They have been the driving force behind this upcoming Meet. And, so as not to forget, hats off to the members who will be attending, some driving long distances to join in the fun.

@Marc and @Sarah - without the two of you and this wonderful community you've created, the Iowa meet would consist of Becky and me going for a walk with a couple of our dogs! Thank you so much for the opportunity to meet and get to know so very many wonderful people, both here in the US and around the world... I am so very much looking forward to meeting those who are coming - and am beyond excited, looking forward to it!

Becky @Austinville has actually been the main planner and force behind this gathering - give her the credit! I've mostly been a sounding board, and hands to do what she hasn't had time to do, herself. Dave/Mazz and Sally/Zoya&EisasMom have also been quite helpful, and deserve credit, as do all the members who have committed to traveling long distances (can't believe Brian/Sid&BellaNTX is coming up from Texas!), giving up their time and money to come and socialize with us! I also want to thank all of those who submitted designs for a t-shirt, giving us their time and talent - especially to @Andy, whose idea we used!

I plan to have my laptop at camp so that I and others can update periodically. I have started a blog (not very many entries, yet, mostly tributes to Shad and Roller, and I've started intros to my dogs) that I'll probably post to, and I'm sure we'll get a thread going for Iowa Camp Updates... 39_5_1.gif:camping::lovecamp:

Looking forward to hearing tales of the fun and games.

At our camps and meets there are always some funny stories, of wierd and wonderful incidents and mishaps

Jokes and pranks, perpetrated by and upon Admin.

Don't let us down by being TOO civilised. :doglaugh:

Looking forward to hearing tales of the fun and games.

At our camps and meets there are always some funny stories, of wierd and wonderful incidents and mishaps

Jokes and pranks, perpetrated by and upon Admin.

Don't let us down by being TOO civilised. :doglaugh:

You know, I find that very ironic! :P I kind of hate to say it, but I think at least to some extent, that we are a bit more straight laced than you in the UK are... That just totally has shocked me, over the past year - I always had a mental image of you Brits as being very prim and proper!!! :doglaugh:

Yeah, I think you tend to see us equated to your "Ivy League" tea parties, croquet and polo matches. LOL

Naw. . . 'fraid not. :P

:wave::cheerleader:Thank you to all involved in making this all happen. Many years ago when the internet was young, I met someone on a forum, and though a little nervous, delved into creating a friendship. We have since shared vacations and families, and animals of course, and to this day, about 15 years later, are still close friends. :yahoo:

This is what I hope for from this camp. I have a tendency to sometimes feel close to people before I really know them, but it might just be a feeling I get and intuition, which I've been told mine is very very strong.:wave: Sutsibe was the first to personally welcome me from the US and we found out soon that we not only shared a love of huskies, but the same initial careers and degrees....love of books, and I feel like already I know her @sutsibe . :wave::wave::wave:My heart was saddened on learning that I would not meet Shad, but somehow, I believe he will be there.:angel: I'm excited to meet everyone, and can't wait for my 50' leads to come in the mail! :clap: Jack is going to just "flip" over it:huskyfall::huskyfall:!!!:grouphug:

Have a fantastic first US Husky Owners :camping:. I was out to lunch yesterday with one of my sons and he commented on about the amount of time I spent on my laptop now on H/O. He said he was really surprised about how I was making so many positive comments about the forum and about the tips I was getting about huskies. (He was the one who instigated me getting Bo in the first place.) Dan's opinion of forums in general is that they are usually bitchy back biting places and he said he hadn't heard me make one negative comment about H/O. @Sarah and @Dunc thank you so much for staring H/O as well as the many other contributors around the world who so freely pass on their knowlede and advice. :huskyrocks:

You know, I find that very ironic! :P I kind of hate to say it, but I think at least to some extent, that we are a bit more straight laced than you in the UK are... That just totally has shocked me, over the past year - I always had a mental image of you Brits as being very prim and proper!!! :doglaugh:

Where did you got that idea from??? :lolman:

gallery_2650_1539_259482.jpg

I try my best to keep them in order and be prim and proper but the witches from H/O always bring the class down to there level :doglaugh:

Yeah...Dunc....you definitley seem like the "prim and proper" type, I expect you to be wearing a top hat and Monicle, sipping tea, when I meet you at Camp :P