Scootering Permit Confusion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but what I don't understand is how can bikejoring be classed as any different in sense of rules from scootering? It's the same concept just a different initial vehicle, and in my opinion scootering is safer. I think it's too easy to come off a bike.

Stacey xxx

the difference being that scooters or rigs are seen as whats known as a drawn vehichle and a bike is not...stupid i know nut i dont make the rules..and as @huskyprincess pointed out it is different where she is.. i can only say what the southern forsetry commision is like

From what I gather a bike can be seen as needing a licence to bikejor if your dog is pulling you, but if you are peddeling then it's not. Same with walkeydogs. I would still have liablity insurance though because if you do get someone hurt can you really afford the court fees? I know I couldn't right now as I'm starting university.

Stacey can you not once you've paid of Aleu's vet bill use your comissions to help you raise up the money? From what I've seen your photoshop art is in pretty high demand!

Stacey can you not once you've paid of Aleu's vet bill use your comissions to help you raise up the money? From what I've seen your photoshop art is in pretty high demand!

It's a good idea but I always find that my art will be in high demand and then before I know it, people stop wanting it because they cant afford it or already have what they want. I'd also have to speak to Robyn because that is the only income I bring in, so I would feel a bit rude saying, yeah you go work and earn lots of money and I'll sit here, make a measley amount on myself and guess what? I'm going to spend it on me too!

We've paid Aleu's bill which is great. It's set us back in the amount we managed to save for uni, but nevermind.

Stacey xxx

I understand what you mean, it's not easy. Maybe you could save up in a penny jar or something maybe £2-5 a week, but agree it with Robyn. It is hard but if you save up or agree something? If you've already brought the scooter it seems like a waste not to use it...

Sutton Park have said I can use it without a permit. It's just if I want to be covered, Im not covered at my own risk.

I'll talk to Robyn though.

Stacey xxx

Hi, I thought scooters where classed the same as mountain bikes, as you can travel under your own steam, whereas with rigs you cannot?

I just had a look at the SHC too, and nightmare! Harley can't enter any races they organise as he isn't kennel club...he's a Sibe, put no papers to say pure bred, there is no pedigree - I got him as a rehome and no papers where available. So according to their rules as he is not a KC pure bred sled dog he can't enter...

Hummmmmfph! Might have to send a few emails...

It depends if anyone else uses the land hun, if it's pretty deserted then I wouldn't bother but if there is a chance you could run into someone than I would. Go at times where no one is around.

Im intending to go early morning as the park have requested :)

Stacey xxx

Hi, I thought scooters where classed the same as mountain bikes, as you can travel under your own steam, whereas with rigs you cannot?

I just had a look at the SHC too, and nightmare! Harley can't enter any races they organise as he isn't kennel club...he's a Sibe, put no papers to say pure bred, there is no pedigree - I got him as a rehome and no papers where available. So according to their rules as he is not a KC pure bred sled dog he can't enter...

Hey Smiler,

Yeah, if you wanted to race you would have to find meets that have an open class, these are for all other dogs be it Yorkies to Dobermans or Boxers lol

Andy, yep, it's frustrating though as it limits availability a little. I also think it is frustrating because Harley is a husky through and through, yet I can't register him as such. I just want him to have as much fun as possible!! I'm always wondering what else I can do to help his day's pass more pleasurably and with interest...although today he's sat inside beneath my chair and slept all day on our granite floor, just waking to suck on an ice cube to cool him down as it's 27 degrees today. He only had a short canicross this morning at 6am too as it was so warm, and I got up an hour earlier to keep it cool...I know it's right to watch his core temperature yet I still feel like I've short-changed him on fun today!

Stacey, I use mainly military land between my home in Church Crookham and Aldershot, and the military training grounds at Hawley Woods. I get to do work from time to time with the army (particularly the PT Corps) so would always be able to use contacts if necessary, yet the only comments I've had from the CO's and the soldiers is can we borrow Harley for a tow up Flagstaff! (The largest training hill over there). Never needed a permit or permission...

There are a bunch of rigs that run near me at The Lookout in Bracknell, these are managed woods so permits would be required - if I'm there on my mountain bike I need one anyway - so if I go there I'd probably need a dog licence too...I've got to head over there in the Autumn and meet the owners that run the rigs to learn more about them and their dogs...

I would just get out there and go for it until told otherwise!

sadly yes . to many rules.to much politics.to many people penpushers making life hard for people to just have fun these days.. years ago we did loads of stuff that we could get hurt doin but we did it .. but now its all rules and health and safety.

I agree completely if the only people we were putting at risk was ourselves, but if you are travelling around a public pathway/forest trail at 20mph, you could do an awful lot of damage to an unsuspecting passerby, which is why Public Liability insurance is really necessary.

The reason (I imagine) why it doesn't say anything about insurance on the Club website at the moment is that the club currently has a dilemma about insurance. For years, membership has automatically included Public Liability insurance, but a recent court case resulting from an accident in the forest where we train, has meant that the club's insurance premiums have rocketed. As a result the club was holding a meeting (I think it was the weekend just gone) to decide whether to increase membership fees to accomodate the new premium. or to discontinue insurance cover leaving members to find their own insurance. Not being a member of the SHCGB myself (you don't have to be a member to do anything other than enter SHCGB events) I haven't heard yet what the outcome was.

Mick

There are a bunch of rigs that run near me at The Lookout in Bracknell, these are managed woods so permits would be required - if I'm there on my mountain bike I need one anyway - so if I go there I'd probably need a dog licence too...I've got to head over there in the Autumn and meet the owners that run the rigs to learn more about them and their dogs...

We train at Bracknell and yes, you do need a permit (£75 per year currently) and public liability insurance

Mick

You can run unregistered purebred Siberians with BSHRA (http://www.huskyracing.org.uk/) as long as they have assessed your dog and confirmed he/she is a purebred Sibe.

You can run SHCGB Welfare dogs with SHCGB as long as they have a welfare number and you are a club member.

You can run SHWA Welfare dogs with ABSA (http://www.absasleddogracing.org.uk/) as long as SHWA have assessed them as purebred sled dogs and a letter has been sent to ABSA confirming this.

You can run any dogs (within reason) of the appropriate size in some of the Open Events now being held.

Mick

I agree completely if the only people we were putting at risk was ourselves, but if you are travelling around a public pathway/forest trail at 20mph, you could do an awful lot of damage to an unsuspecting passerby, which is why Public Liability insurance is really necessary.

The reason (I imagine) why it doesn't say anything about insurance on the Club website at the moment is that the club currently has a dilemma about insurance. For years, membership has automatically included Public Liability insurance, but a recent court case resulting from an accident in the forest where we train, has meant that the club's insurance premiums have rocketed. As a result the club was holding a meeting (I think it was the weekend just gone) to decide whether to increase membership fees to accomodate the new premium. or to discontinue insurance cover leaving members to find their own insurance. Not being a member of the SHCGB myself (you don't have to be a member to do anything other than enter SHCGB events) I haven't heard yet what the outcome was.

Mick

Ok thanks for that info Mick. I'll wait until the situation is more clear before making any further descisions on joining the SHCGB. For the time being, Im looking into public liability insurance for my dog training anyway, so I'll see if I can get something that may help with the two :'D Doubt it but her!

Also Mick, can you PM me or call me to let me know what to do with the fundings I've raised for you, I PMd you on facebook but I assumed you have been busy XD

Stacey xxx

Mick

I went to the club AGM as i felt it was important to have my chance to vote. The outcome was that the premium would raise slightly but insurance was still to be included. However if you Join 1st October (I think thats the date) you are covered from then until the end of 2012 so you get Oct, Nov and Dec free. club membership runs from Jan - Dec so if you joined now, you would need to pay out again before the year is up (hope that makes sense!)

I could be wrong but im pretty sure forestry commission require a min of 2m cover so if anyone is lookign at organising their own insurance its important to ensure you get adequate cover.

Stacy - Dogs trust do a liability insurance in with their membership which is £20 but far less cover. If anyone has pet insurance that too may include public liability insurance but again check the amount.

With regard to non reg'd dogs entering SHCGB rallies - you have no chance getting an unreg'd dog being able to race at their rallies but there are alternative suggestions from mick. however it doesnt stop you working them for fun

Hi Huskyprincess, I run or mountain bike with Harley 5-6 times a week…I do it for fun already and always will do…the more options available the better though! I’m a semi-retired professional sportsman and the fun of competing still burns within…

Mick, you are a star, if you’ve been there a few years I’ve come across you guys before while running about 4 years back…the sound of the husky’s lining out was sooo cute! Does mountain biking with the dog need the same permit, or could I get away with just the mountain bike standard one and run the dog off that as I won’t be with a rig?

Best regards,

Smiler

Mick, you are a star, if you’ve been there a few years I’ve come across you guys before while running about 4 years back…the sound of the husky’s lining out was sooo cute! Does mountain biking with the dog need the same permit, or could I get away with just the mountain bike standard one and run the dog off that as I won’t be with a rig?

Best regards,

Smiler

I'm not really sure. You would need to check with The Crown Estate or with Dave Hemmins, the guy who organises the husky permits. You can contact Dave at dave.hemmins@btinternet.com

It's lovely up there I used to spend a lot of time there as a teen. We even camped up there once.

Claire: My 3rd party liablity is £2m on both pet insurances I believe. But I thought there were additional benifits for joining.

Well i havent found anything yet!! LOL cos i have no intention of showing (again you would need to be a club member). If you have adequate liability insurance then thats fine. I may be wrong but i dont think there is any other benefits however someone may prove me wrong!

Well i havent found anything yet!! LOL cos i have no intention of showing (again you would need to be a club member). If you have adequate liability insurance then thats fine. I may be wrong but i dont think there is any other benefits however someone may prove me wrong!

Oh alright, once i'm mobile i'll look into it more. I'm starting my driving lessons on wednesday so try and stay off the roads especially with your new van ;) (joking) it's ok they are duel controlled cars so your safe ;) Once I've passed my driving test I will then look into licences and insurance etc. There isn't any point right now.