Scootering Permit Confusion

Ok I'm totally confused.

When I met the guy from Dax at a dog show a few months ago, he told me that you can purchase a scooter, get your harness' and lines and so long as you're not training in public forests you do not need a permit of any sort.

I've asked about getting someone to help me train on Mushers Exchange and now people are saying that I need to join the Siberian Husky Club Great Britain in order to train.

I know that the SHCGB offer a good deal as the price to become a member also includes insurance, however, with us going to uni, me having to have gym membership and my annual fee to be part of the KCAI, we can't afford to have another annual fee with SHCGB when we are going to be stretched for cash.

I only wanted to scooter with Aleu as a sport that we'd both enjoy and that will give her the extra exercise that she would love.

So do I really need to join the SHCGB? I'm sure I know people that aren't members that scooter.

Stacey xxx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if permits are needed to enter races, if however you are doing it just for pleasure then can't you do as I have done. we have a football club close by (Just a local team not Man U or Liverpool lol) I popped in and asked if it would be OK to run Boone around the outskirts of their practice pitches and their mor than happy.

To start training Boone I would walk him on a short lead and turning him left using the command "HAW", right using the command "GEE", "WHOA" to slow and stop, "ON BUY" if he started to waiver from the straight line to stop him sniffing and "HIKE, HIKE, HIKE" to get him running. Using a longer and longer lead as time went on so that the commands work at a distance. Takes a while but worth it,

Andy & Boone

private land is very different to 'out in the country'. as long as you have permission from the land owner then it shouldnt be a problem (altho most land owners require you to prove your insured). Forestry commission land is a massive no no tho.

ground type is massively important to avoid injuries. a forest trail is perfect for them as is the environment. they naturally follow the path and keeps them focused. i found this particularly useful when first starting. mushing is fab exercise for you and your dog but i also think the scenary of being in a forest is just amazing too. they're running in their natural environment.

private land is very different to 'out in the country'. as long as you have permission from the land owner then it shouldnt be a problem (altho most land owners require you to prove your insured). Forestry commission land is a massive no no tho.

ground type is massively important to avoid injuries. a forest trail is perfect for them as is the environment. they naturally follow the path and keeps them focused. i found this particularly useful when first starting. mushing is fab exercise for you and your dog but i also think the scenary of being in a forest is just amazing too. they're running in their natural environment.

I'm going to be living in Birmingham City so forests are a no go.

I have booties if that will help with the flooring?

Stacey xxx

booties do/will help but its down to preference. but any hard surface will still bruise their feet adn affect their joints. ground surface is soooooooooo important

Well the surfaces in Sutton are dirt if thats what you mean?

I've just called Sutton Park and they've given me permission to use there provided that it's only when the park is quiet :)

Stacey xxx

we don't have the permit problem in Scotland as we have right to roam!! as long as live stock are OK and gates are left as you find them it's a free for all you can run them where you like :) are there no canal paths etc??

I wish I lived in Scotland now lol!

There are some canal paths but they are highly in use by dog walkers so might be too tricky.

Stacey xxx

some areas in scotland have long waiting lists for permits

defo get the permission in writing Stacy and keep. However i still encourage you to get SHCGB membership. its a bargain for the insurance cover alone. it only take someone to make an accusation that you ran into them, an off lead dog ran into you and got injured etc....there's been all sorts of claims as a result from mushing. It really is a total bargain at £30 plus your helping sibes. i've had a JRT ran towards me and god knows how i missed him. it does happen.

dirt - depends if its really stoney TBH. I go on the basis if i need to booty them then its not suitable for running. i dont want expensive vets bills as a result of running them. if its too hard it can really effect their joints whcih you will pay out for later in life (& hurt her).

Great you have somewhere to go when its cool enough.

It s different here in Scotland although a couple of forests you need permits but most you can use ,I applied for a permit and was told I didnt need one ,I also use the canal routes you can go for miles ,sorry don t know much about permits in your area ,glad you have somewhere to go ,Anne

Ok I'm totally confused.

When I met the guy from Dax at a dog show a few months ago, he told me that you can purchase a scooter, get your harness' and lines and so long as you're not training in public forests you do not need a permit of any sort.

I've asked about getting someone to help me train on Mushers Exchange and now people are saying that I need to join the Siberian Husky Club Great Britain in order to train.

I know that the SHCGB offer a good deal as the price to become a member also includes insurance, however, with us going to uni, me having to have gym membership and my annual fee to be part of the KCAI, we can't afford to have another annual fee with SHCGB when we are going to be stretched for cash.

I only wanted to scooter with Aleu as a sport that we'd both enjoy and that will give her the extra exercise that she would love.

So do I really need to join the SHCGB? I'm sure I know people that aren't members that scooter.

Stacey xxx

to train on forestry land you have to have a permit issued..and have to have £2 million pound liability insurance plus fill out a risk assesment form ..blah blah blah .

as for joinig club its a far cheaper option for insurance .. but you don't have to join the club to train. but always best to be on land you have permission to be on.. and it is worth having insurance ..just in case you cause injury or damage while out.. last thing you want is to be sued by some grumpy git who's alledgedly got injury's from you training.

there is people that sccoter that may not be part of SHCGB but could have own insurance or part of AMWA ( depending on what dog they have ) and there is those who have no insurance. and take the risk.. either way the insurance is only valid if you have permission to be doin what your doin on that land..

personally i'd rather be safe than sorry.. as having insurance could save you a lengthy expensive court case ..if things went wrong.

How come it says nothing about insurance on the SHCGB site? If that's one of the big things about joining?

Stacey xxx

that question i can't answer.. as i dunno the reasons why they chose not to have it on the website.. maybe just to stop people joining just for the insurance..

and that only a guess.. but if you request a membership pack.. im nearly 100% sure that there was information in what they send you..

is all of this who ha really necessary if you just want to exercise your dogs and have fun???? honestly it seems a lot of hassle and fuss. I think I will just try out bikejoring instead.

sadly yes . to many rules.to much politics.to many people penpushers making life hard for people to just have fun these days.. years ago we did loads of stuff that we could get hurt doin but we did it .. but now its all rules and health and safety.

sadly yes . to many rules.to much politics.to many people penpushers making life hard for people to just have fun these days.. years ago we did loads of stuff that we could get hurt doin but we did it .. but now its all rules and health and safety.

well thats just pants really :dramaqueen:

yep its all about 'what if' but it does happen and people do 'sue' people to pay for this that and the other. i wouldnt own a dog without public liability insurance - if your dog got out of the garden and into the road and caused a car accident. your liable and you could loose everything. Someone makes a complaint that yoru dog appears aggressive and you fight it...legal costs could be thousands, your dog kills a domestic cat to be honest anything can happen without even thinking of mushing £30 IMO is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap for what it covers.

well thats just pants really :dramaqueen:

oh i couldnt agree more.. even more so that the forestry commision limit how many permits for each forest with out actually talking to people who have permits and realising that more could be issued..

for example.. forests near me .

one has 6 permits could easily take 3/4 more with no issues as not all people train on same days or times.

another has 2 permits but could easily take double that.

another 2 forests have 1 permit but could again take another 2 maybe more..

more money for the forestry but the pen pushers won't come out and research and talk to those who actually use them.

just breaking down of one forest i know of..

6 permits,,

person 1 & 2 only uses on Sat / Sun morning and bank hols

person 3 only goes only a Sat morn

person 4 goes every Sat /sun and maybe 1 or 2 eves a week

person 5 only ever goes Fri eve

person 6 has never been in 2 years they have had permit..but won't let it go just in case they want it as it is a prime forest that used to be used for race meets. and has fantastic trails.

permits allow certain times of day.. ie Mon - Sun morning till certain times

Mon - Sun eve from a certain time..

so thats one forest that they could organise that more permits could be issued. people like me ..so that more husky or malamute owners can train their dogs safely ..for the forest in question.. i would love to have permit for and if it meant the only time i couldn't go was a Fri eve when person 5 is there then ..no problems but as person 1/2/3/4/6 doesn't do a fri eve it wouldn't be an issue..to let another permit be issued.

maybe the permits should be issued by people that actually use the forest,,

is all of this who ha really necessary if you just want to exercise your dogs and have fun???? honestly it seems a lot of hassle and fuss. I think I will just try out bikejoring instead.

Yeah but what I don't understand is how can bikejoring be classed as any different in sense of rules from scootering? It's the same concept just a different initial vehicle, and in my opinion scootering is safer. I think it's too easy to come off a bike.

Stacey xxx