Good by to our long-time friend... Kenai.

kper

I'm pushing away tears as I write this.

In 1997, before we knew anything about breeders, Kenai came to us from a back yard breeder not too far from us here in the midwest. For the next 14 years she would jump to her feet every time a set of car keys jingled, a door was opened or somebody grabbed her leash. If you thought you could sneak a treat from her cabinet you soon discovered you hadn't when you turned around and she was watching you. She went with me everywhere, sometimes to the annoyance of family members when they had to share their seat with her in the car.

She didn't know a stranger. As the saying goes - "Strangers are only friends she hadn't met, yet."

She is every bit as much of a valued member of this family as anyone. Our son and daughter grew up with her from elementary school and Kenai was always participating in their daily lives. From brushing teeth to sleep-overs Kenai was right there making sure she didn't miss a thing.

She was known as the Mother Hen as she was always checking up on people and could tell when something wasn't right. And you couldn't shake her presence when something was getting you down... she would sit in from of you wanting to know what it was that was bothering you.

At about 8 or 9 years old, or so, she moved in with my parents who were retired and had all the time in the world to love her. Since then she has been checking up on them and letting them know when they are getting out of line.:) Sadly, she has developed some medical issues that we have been battling and this past week she was diagnosed with cancer after losing her appetite and not eating.

It's been a long week for us, especially for my parents and even more specifically my mother. The decision isn't an easy one. By early next week Kenai may be crossing that bridge to wait for us on the other side. I was looking forward to showing her off at the Iowa meet but I'm afraid that may simply not happen. My parents want one more day with her and Monday she takes one last trip to see the vet.

She will be deeply missed.

Man, this is hard.

I put together a short slide show so maybe others can see just a little into the life of our "Sweetie".

Thank you to all who tried to help us get her through this journey in her last days.

She was my baby... my Sweetie.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run free over the bridge Kenai. My Bear and Rachels Nikita will be there to guide you. Rest well.

it's never easy when the time comes, but remember she will not be suffering any longer. You have to be brave for her. Remember her through the years of photos, videos & memories you have built up over her lifetime and take comfort in the knowledge she had THE best life with you all.

Run free, little one, when the time comes, xxx

What a gorgeous girl! I'm sitting here, crying - I'm very likely letting two of my boys, Shad and Roller, make the journey to the Rainbow Bridge tomorrow. Both are also 14, and especially with the heat we've been having, are not doing well at all... My heart, thoughts, and prayers are with you...

What a sad, sad time. Kenai must have had a great life though. The video was a wonderful tribute. Run free little one.

@26nikitaa @Al Jones Thanks - it's never easy, but it's part and parcel of having these wonderful creatures live with us. They, and particularly Shad, have given so much to me over the course of their lives, that I have to try to do what I feel is best for them, when the time comes. Even though it feels like my heart is breaking.

Horrible... I can't write enough to tell you how much I feel for you and her. The words and peoples thoughts really feel good, but somewhat worthless as it cannot possibly change the deep, DEEP pain. Nothing can but time. :rip:

She's a fluffy thing, reminds me of @mydiamonds husky.

And again, I feel for you, I still tear up when I think about my beagle, that was lost at not even a year old. x

Lost her years ago... But I've never had a dog for 14 years, I'm 15 myself! It's really hard to imagine that, All I've (really) done in my life, was done while she was alive. :(

Trey.

What a gorgeous girl! I'm sitting here, crying - I'm very likely letting two of my boys, Shad and Roller, make the journey to the Rainbow Bridge tomorrow. Both are also 14, and especially with the heat we've been having, are not doing well at all... My heart, thoughts, and prayers are with you...

And ours are with you, Shad and Roller with you today-I really feel deeply sorry for you, but glad for Shad and Roller that they shared their lives with you, Gigi, instead of with other, not as great people to love them and give them the lives they've shared there with you:rainbowbridge:

It's the hardest decision we as the owned of any animal have to make. I'm sorry it's the decision that has to be made but they won't suffer anymore. To @Kyle and @Gigi... lots of hugs (and tears) for you both.

And Zhai'helleva to your furkids.

I'm pushing away tears as I write this.

In 1997, before we knew anything about breeders, Kenai came to us from a back yard breeder not too far from us here in the midwest. For the next 14 years she would jump to her feet every time a set of car keys jingled, a door was opened or somebody grabbed her leash. If you thought you could sneak a treat from her cabinet you soon discovered you hadn't when you turned around and she was watching you. She went with me everywhere, sometimes to the annoyance of family members when they had to share their seat with her in the car.

She didn't know a stranger. As the saying goes - "Strangers are only friends she hadn't met, yet."

She is every bit as much of a valued member of this family as anyone. Our son and daughter grew up with her from elementary school and Kenai was always participating in their daily lives. From brushing teeth to sleep-overs Kenai was right there making sure she didn't miss a thing.

She was known as the Mother Hen as she was always checking up on people and could tell when something wasn't right. And you couldn't shake her presence when something was getting you down... she would sit in from of you wanting to know what it was that was bothering you.

At about 8 or 9 years old, or so, she moved in with my parents who were retired and had all the time in the world to love her. Since then she has been checking up on them and letting them know when they are getting out of line.:) Sadly, she has developed some medical issues that we have been battling and this past week she was diagnosed with cancer after losing her appetite and not eating.

It's been a long week for us, especially for my parents and even more specifically my mother. The decision isn't an easy one. By early next week Kenai may be crossing that bridge to wait for us on the other side. I was looking forward to showing her off at the Iowa meet but I'm afraid that may simply not happen. My parents want one more day with her and Monday she takes one last trip to see the vet.

She will be deeply missed.

Man, this is hard.

I put together a short slide show so maybe others can see just a little into the life of our "Sweetie".

Thank you to all who tried to help us get her through this journey in her last days.

She was my baby... my Sweetie.

I know its hard, but you have to be brave and strong and do whats best for her, she's dependent on you to make the tough decisions and entrusts you with making them for her. You were there for her her entire life through all kinds of situations, good times, funny times and plenty of moments-be there for her now...I had to make this very toughest of decisions myself on a fateful day July 9, 2007 with my best friend in the world who grew old with me, a Red Heeler named King Red Leo-I spent almost 16 glorious years with him, had been with me in the Marines and long afterwards, and had to make the same hard decision you are now faced with-we are thinking of you now and give you comfort, be glad of the years you had together and think of the beauty of her life she shared with you all these years-she gave you her best, give her yours now. We cry with you...:kimba2::rainbowbridge:run free, beautiful girl Kenai

i started reading your post but had to stop :cry1:

i really am so sorry for you and your family

i know the heartbreak you are feeling and although no words can make it any easier for you

its nice to know people are genuinely thinking of you.

stay strong and hold tight to your memories because they will be with you until you meet again.

Thank you, everyone. It is truly a tough weekend for the family. Never did I ever think it would be this hard. Somehow I feel as though we are letting her down by doing this.

It's possible that we can remove the cancer but we wouldn't know for sure until the doc was in there. And at her age and the other issues she has we can't even say for sure she would survive the surgery itself.

This forum is like no other on the web. God bless you all.

Gigi, my heart goes out to you.

th_Karinphone199.jpg

Kenai