Huskies Off Lead

@Trey - yeah, I know; looking forward to it, too :D

I've been looking into a lot of trainer's methods. I've joined Puppy Peaks - Susan Garrett's program that looks into how she trained her new puppy Swagger - and I've ordered a book and DVD as well. I also plan to order a couple of Michael Ellis DVD's too mainly the tug and food DVD's he's got available through Leerburg. Both use Operant Conditioning for training though Michael trains Protection sport dogs mostly, and Susan Agility; they both have ideas and methods I like. It'll also depend on the dog, too, which I know. Which is why I'm going to volunteer at the SPCA to get more aquainted to dog personalities I otherwise wouldn't and maybe talk to how they handle the dogs there, and if they have a trainer definitely talk to them.

Some of the Michael Ellis DVDs on drive are ok, and it's always easier to start from day one with a puppy than try to retrain an adult dog.

I use training in drive with my dogs and it's the only way I'll ever train, it's very different to other training methods and quite intensive but gets the best results IMO.

SG's methods are good too, similar in some ways to TID and different in others.

we took ours to a agility style course today an it was totally enclosed and safe in a huge barn building. And for their first times they did pretty well.

i agree - they were brilliant :) yes ok a few disctrations with the other dogs waiting outside of the fence but for their first time they were fab - at being offlead and doing the corse - skyla even recalled beautfully after having a sniff of storm on the other side of the fence :)

Hi all, yesterday i decieded to purchase a 100 ft lead after reading about more in depth about not trusting them not to run off, although we only let luna off in a enclosed park it got me being more wary reading the stories on here, at the park yesterday we had let her off and was playing ball with her, she chased and fetched it 6 times and we gave her a treat, then we put her back on lead, am waiting for the long lead to arrive.. thanks for making me more aware guys ..:wave1:

Hi all, yesterday i decieded to purchase a 100 ft lead after reading about more in depth about not trusting them not to run off, although we only let luna off in a enclosed park it got me being more wary reading the stories on here, at the park yesterday we had let her off and was playing ball with her, she chased and fetched it 6 times and we gave her a treat, then we put her back on lead, am waiting for the long lead to arrive.. thanks for making me more aware guys ..:wave1:

just make sure you dont get tangled up!!! lol

Guest Hollow

Well as has been discussed in another thread, I'm quite keen on training Syntax off-lead, because I've had a lot of success with other dogs, more success than expected in many cases too. I'm not going to say I think he will or won't be trainable off-lead at this point, so I haven't voted, but I'll be sure to let you all know if and when. By the looks of it, a video of him in an open space re-calling perfectly every time, even mid-chase (Might be a complete pipe dream lol) would be a big hit around these parts :D

I let my girl off lead have done since she was 14 weeks (when we got her) and she is now 22 months.

let her off in the woods, parks, beach, out the front of our place etc etc..

I have an emergency re-call and i use this if another dog is in sight and works each time.. though no doubt there will be a time it wont work..nothings perfect!

We let Lexy off in certain areas - A field where it is like a Crufts show there are so many lovely dogs - we aren't lucky enough to have a dog park near. She has a reasonably good recall with me but luurves Mike so is perfect with him - she wouldn't let him out of her sight. I think any dog any breed could run away and hate to see dogs walking by the roads with no leads. There only has to be some kind of distraction...

For me, only in enclosed secure areas. Even with the two that I think would come back, I can't be 100% sure and want them to be safe. It'll just take a rabbit, hare, cat, bird, whatever small animal, and they could be off like a shot.

@Marley & Bear's MummyPuppy In Training - I'd be a little careful, they're at that age (going by your signature) where they up to now will have wanted to stay closer but will start to test the waters. A lot of times when I've heard accounts of people's Huskies who were "always fine off lead" running off, has been in the 8months-1year period when they start to want to explore and test boundaries :(

I don't think there's a rule and it depends on the dog, but I've read too many stories of people with Huskies who always came back, and then one day caught a scent and ran off

For me, only in enclosed secure areas. Even with the two that I think would come back, I can't be 100% sure and want them to be safe. It'll just take a rabbit, hare, cat, bird, whatever small animal, and they could be off like a shot.

@Marley & Bear's MummyPuppy In Training - I'd be a little careful, they're at that age (going by your signature) where they up to now will have wanted to stay closer but will start to test the waters. A lot of times when I've heard accounts of people's Huskies who were "always fine off lead" running off, has been in the 8months-1year period when they start to want to explore and test boundaries :(

I don't think there's a rule and it depends on the dog, but I've read too many stories of people with Huskies who always came back, and then one day caught a scent and ran off

I dont let them off at home and wont be letting them off next year when we are here at the caravan. I let them off here this time because at the moment they have good recall and we are only here for another 2 weeks :)

I will let Grey off in the woods when we are with Kita, Kita has impeccable recall (part Northern Inuit) and Grey is very attached to her, she's his girlfriend lol. He has fairly good recall in general, I know Mary and Tony used to let him off at the beach.

Grey is the only one I would let off, I dont completely trust him, but the area is away from roads, and theres too many interesting smells for him to wander far, and the river distracts him too.

The girls, only in the dog park

awww thanks Sid! :D

Kita is off lead, she has fantastic re-call and doesn't like to stray to far away from me.

Also my confidence in that was bolstered alot with a recent incident, Its weird but it seems Kita knows to NOT bolt after something or im just lucky I dnt know. Kita and I were walking with a friend and their dog, we were walking along the river and we came to an open field, Kita and her friend were running about playing, then all of a suddent a rabbit pops up, the dogs see it, the other one bolts after the rabbit, Kita....stops dead, doesn't move a muscle, doesn't chase the rabbit or the dog, my friend obviously goes after his dog and I call Kita over, she just trotts over to and I just put the leash on her

I dont let them off at home and wont be letting them off next year when we are here at the caravan. I let them off here this time because at the moment they have good recall and we are only here for another 2 weeks :)

Cool, I'm sure they're enjoying it :)

I'd love to take my lot camping, but 5 dogs and a moaning boyfriend is probably too much, lol!

awww thanks Sid! :D

Kita is off lead, she has fantastic re-call and doesn't like to stray to far away from me.

Also my confidence in that was bolstered alot with a recent incident, Its weird but it seems Kita knows to NOT bolt after something or im just lucky I dnt know. Kita and I were walking with a friend and their dog, we were walking along the river and we came to an open field, Kita and her friend were running about playing, then all of a suddent a rabbit pops up, the dogs see it, the other one bolts after the rabbit, Kita....stops dead, doesn't move a muscle, doesn't chase the rabbit or the dog, my friend obviously goes after his dog and I call Kita over, she just trotts over to and I just put the leash on her

skyla has a good recall - but i know she would have gone after the rabbit lol - she got off her lead yesterday n ran around the front of the house n then came running in soon as i got to the front door n opened it

Not saying there is, but as we all know Sibes are quite indiependent thinkers. It'll be a challenge, and I don't believe they could ever be as reliable as a BC, or other dogs that are bred for other types of work. But they can still do it, and it's not as paradoxial as I might make it sound, they're just not (NOT) likely (at all) to win a championship (Though I'm sure thats not what @Laine is planning on, agility isn't about winning, but having fun)

I do look forward to seeing how things go for you though!

Trey

My good friend Jill, who lives in Alaska, routinely takes placements (and sometimes cleans up!) at agility trials with her Siberians! They can do VERY well in agility!