Huskies Off Lead

Sorry to say Maz you won't get a decent collar for under £200, I paid £220 for my sportsdog collar it has 1 mile range and works in the wet.

It's a pity you live so far away from us as I would like you to see all our huskys playing and running together ( sometimes up to 20 dogs)

Don't let anyone put you off on here make your own mind up and get someone to train you on how to use them

Thank you for that. I really appreciate the support knowing how touchy this subject is.

Where are you BTW?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank you for that. I really appreciate the support knowing how touchy this subject is.

Where are you BTW?

If you look on the sportsdog site or PAC, both very good, the prices seem to have gone down a bit

And I am in the Watford area

• Like 1

Dogtra 282NCP Platinum - any good? -

$300+ ouch..will need to save..

I was lucky enough to be given my first e-collar... from someone who was strongly against them- my grandmother. This is a woman who has trained several bouviers in her lifetime with moderate-high success could not wrap her head around the fact that no matter the effort and training I put into my dog, it could never be trusted off lead. All her dogs have been successfully trained off leash and were trusted to roam their large 3acre plot of land without concern.

However, she knew I was dead set on buying one and offered to buy it for me, however, made the stimulation that she got to be the one who decided if it was going to be used on the dog.

I believe she made the deal thinking that she would buy the collar, try it out briefly, disapprove, and then return it having saved my poor dog the unfortunate experience of it's use. But needless to say, I still have the collar, it still works, and I used it to train a reliable recall.

But ANYWAYS

I've never used the Dogtra 282NCP so I can't comment on it with any certainty beyond saying I trust the maker of the collar as do many others- Dogsta is one of the more common names among e-collar manufacturers. When I took a class to learn how to use the e-collar there was only 3 name brands accepted in their facility- one was einstein (my first e-collar), another was the Dogtra (bought it after those classes and having had the opportunity to use one before purchasing), and the third I cannot recall.

What I did take notice of the 282NCP, was someone saying they felt the receiver was hard to handle with only one hand when you wanted to change the stimuli levels- something you might want to take into account if you're looking to buy it and use it while sporting with your dogs.

I've had a great response from the makers of Dogtra re a package for two dog collars/one control unit.

I'm not planning to do sport except dryland fun pulling friendly races.

I may have private farm land to also do this and will only use (I hope) the collars as part of the training but not riding..at this time.

(I'd not be able to physically handle the unit if hanging onto the handles!),

but, standing offside with my friend on the rig. This way I can grab their attention when they either go off course or when the won't respond to the basic directions of

'Walk on

Hike!

Gee (right turn)

Haw (left turn)

On (straight ahead if more than two paths!)

Steady

Whoa!'

I'm looking around for a class that can show me 'how to' but anyone who knows how to tell me the 'start' on 'how to use' the pacKate would be great.

My Lexi Lou is now 16 months old and she has walked off a lead her whole life, when we first got her we didn't know much about huskies and so just walked her the same as our other dogs.. We've never ever had a problem with her coming back and people are always surprised!! Obviously it's up to you, but if you train properly and stick in a secure area you should be fine, we've always been. As for the tiredness, Lexi needs a long sleep even after a short walk.. Just keep your eye on it!

• Like 1

My Lexi Lou is now 16 months old and she has walked off a lead her whole life, when we first got her we didn't know much about huskies and so just walked her the same as our other dogs.. We've never ever had a problem with her coming back and people are always surprised!! Obviously it's up to you, but if you train properly and stick in a secure area you should be fine, we've always been. As for the tiredness, Lexi needs a long sleep even after a short walk.. Just keep your eye on it!

I hate to snap back, but no amount of training can ever overcome instinct. Your dog is only 16 months old. The gamble is still on until the day she passed on. There is no "you should be fine, we've always been". The question is still on for you too: do you want to find out?

• Like 1

There is a gamble for every dog, it just always focuses on huskies for some reason. I meet a lot of dogs on walks and to be honest Labradors are the worst at responding to recall and they're supposed to be the most loyal dog... I know my pup and know how well behaved she is. Think a lot more huskies could be given the opportunity

Don't want to argue just don't like it when people tell me how to raise my dog, especially when they don't even try themselves!

• Like 1

There is a gamble for every dog, it just always focuses on huskies for some reason. I meet a lot of dogs on walks and to be honest Labradors are the worst at responding to recall and they're supposed to be the most loyal dog... I know my pup and know how well behaved she is. Think a lot more huskies could be given the opportunity

Don't want to argue just don't like it when people tell me how to raise my dog, especially when they don't even try themselves!

No one is telling you how to raise your dog it's just normal for huskies to be fine n then one day bolt , it happened to a friend of mine who let hers off for years only one came back :-( , I used to let my girl off lead ( can't trust my boy) until I heard her story I don't want to loose my dog so she's kept on lead now
  • Like 1

I'm not focusing on just Huskies. It's like that for every dog with a high prey drive. I'm not telling you how to raise your dog, honey, it's your choice. But at the same time, I disagree with you telling this new member that as long as you train in a secure area he/she will be fine. That's not true. Like you said, the gamble is still there. This member has the right to know that *no matter what he does*, said gamble will always, always be there. Your post was hinting that if he does certain things then all bets are off.

That aside, please consider taking a step back and see the forest instead of the trees. Yes, I sound annoying. Yes, my post hints that I'm calling you a bad owner. Yes, my post sounds patronizing and how dare I because I've never met your dog. But at the same time, honey, I only say that because I care. Personally, I *do not* want to find out. I do not want you, or anyone, to find out whether or not their dog will get hit by a car the day they bolt. That's why I, and the rest of this forum, will suggest you to clip your dog back on lead. 

• Like 2

I was just providing another point of view, as a forum is for, honey.

Yes, and no one's blaming you for doing that. I was putting your opinion to contest, not telling you to not say anything. You are free to argue back as long as we keep it civil. Please keep in mind that this is not about who's right and who's wrong. I'm going to drop this now. I apologize if I've offended you. I really only care about the dogs' well being.

Edited by mydiamond

Maybe consider your phrasing next time you wish to take up a point with a member instead of attacking their personal choices. My dogs wellbeing is, and always will be, my only priority, hence why I let her run and get the exercise she needs.

I see! I apologize for that and I do see it from your point of view. On that note, let's agree to disagree.

This is exactly why I don't go to those husky camping things , so many people just assume their dogs can't do certain things because it's just in their nature, it's doggy stereotyping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otherwise known as experience.
  • Like 1

Yes because I only ever walk mine in a secure area so that she can go off lead. Means we have to travel in the car to the park everyday but it's worth it to see her running freely

If I didn't make time to take her to the park everyday then I wouldn't deserve her

So Jasmin you are saying off lead in a secured area?? this is different as offlead in a non-secure area...

Well obviously.. I would only ever walk my dogs in a secure area because even if they're on lead they're escape artists. When I chose my house I made sure there was a secure park nearby so she can get proper exercise as our garden is fairly small but unfortunately it's a car ride away so every morning they hop in the car, get their run then hop back in the car and go home.

• Like 1

Well maybe people should ask and clarify before slating the way I am raising my dog :) I would never walk my dog off lead near a road or farm, she's my baby and I wouldn't risk that. However what I do find a shame is that every husky I've met in my area has never ever been off a lead just because people have scared them with stories, and the amount of fat huskies I've seen as a result really ****** me off

ok I agree but you could have also set that your offlead is in a secure area...there are so many people that do let them offlead in non-secure...

and I for one cannot let them offlead so I walk them between 2 and 2,5 hrs a day...wish there was somewhere secure for me...only other thing I do is use my 20 meter long line and the scooter...

Maybe you should trust other owners and presume they mean in a secure area...

I have never ever ever seen a husky off lead, whether in a secure area or not and that really saddens me.

I'm sure there will be somewhere near you...

Mine get 2 hours off lead everyday and 3 hours at the weekend when I have more time. I have a husky and a collie tho so have to and I wouldn't change it for the world. Despite the super high rent we pay to live near a decent park

there is unfortunatly nowhere around me where I can let mine offlead apart from my own garden and then still I watch them...

there are a few parks in the UK that are none but bit expensive for me to drive to Engeland every day LOL...