Huskies Off Lead

Heck I'd be scared to use one and I know I'd be very cautious too. I'd so like to know mine would really respond positively however I need much more time to get through the training. Every day. Every week. Every month and be sure I'd get 100% recall in the end.

Don't think so. Don't have that time even if I do something everyday. At home one thing. Out n about...quite another.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I was very much reserved about using an e-collar as well... put a good year of hard training into my girl and got quite far without the use of an e-collar... but as far as a recall was concerned... I have my reservations it would have ever got where it is without it...

Throughout the entire process, she had no distaste for the e-collar anymore then she does with a flat collar. She gets excited when you grab it.

But really... go watch some youtube videos on recall training with an e-collar. Watch how other dogs respond to it. Do some research into training with an e-collar. And afterwards, if you're satisfied with what you see, try one. There is no harm in trying it. You're not going to go and give your dog a seizure. It's not like an electric chair/fence nor a taser.

p.s. don't forget to shock yourself a couple dozen times first if you do get your hands on an e-collar- it helps ease an overactive imagination.

• Like 3

Don't think I'm much of a pit bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't you want to be a pitbull? They're such lovable dogs. Big softies. I always experience an overwhelming urge to hug them when I see them... probably one of my favorite breeds however not active enough for my lifestyle. They look so goofy and squishy to me- their always smiling.

in all honesty this is a site to help people with their huskies and just have a nice community to turn to. people have different training techniques and never is everyone going to agree on something. but just because we dont agree with it doesnt mean its not a good training technique... 

i hope this doesnt come across bad...

• Like 1

1 in 3 dogs yelp the first time an e-collar is used on them... I went to classes to learn how to use the thing... out of 16 dogs, not a single one let out a yelp- first time or ever.

The article lost my trust as an accurate source of information- social pressure dictates what is commonly 'known'- the world is flat I say!

• Like 1

I think so too..besides the e-collars are not cheap.

So I guess I'll stick to long leads, plenty of treats for responding right to insructions and saving treats when they don't .... ?.

• Like 1

lets keep this friendly , not an e-collar debate 

that being said there are still ways to train your dog without these methods , a long line and treats work just as well , skyla comes to me every time i call her n matter what shes doing granted she isn't off her lead ever despite being off her lead before , he recall training is more for the fact if she gets off lead or gets out the house i know she'll come back , take today for instance , her lead got caught underneath her , it was easier to unclip her lead get it sorted n click it back on , when the lead was no longer 'trapping' her she went to walk off i told her to wait and she did  , thats all done through training with fuss praise and treats 

now Blaze is a bit more difficult , u do need to be a bit firmer with him with your voice but he does listen 

There are times I think about using an e collar but know I never would.  I get frustrated with Snowy as after a year of training he still won't come to me unless he decides he wants too.  I know with him it's going to take longer, partly because I think he's not wired up properly, though this week he is showing signs of improvement.

My wife was dead against us getting a e-collar for Rio she said they were cruel and hurt the dog. Now she won't go out without his collar, she only has to call him and he comes straight back to her, but having the collar makes her feel safer especialy with all the dog laws now

And don't get me wrong I have seen the idiots out there zapping there dogs for no reason, and that's what gives them the bad press

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife was dead against us getting a e-collar for Rio she said they were cruel and hurt the dog. Now she won't go out without his collar, she only has to call him and he comes straight back to her, but having the collar makes her feel safer especialy with all the dog laws now

And don't get me wrong I have seen the idiots out there zapping there dogs for no reason, and that's what gives them the bad press

Couldn't agree more. Improper use, as can be done with just about any training tool, is found everywhere and with an e-collar, the ease of misuse makes it a big target for animal rights activists. However, given the temperament of most users on this forum, I doubt many would end up misusing an e-collar. Provided you take a careful approach and research how to properly use the tool, it's awesome for teaching a bulletproof recall- you could all have off leash huskies while retaining your peace of mind.

• Like 1

I am turning. For them.

I live in the country (well..midlands). I want to give my dogs a chance to run pulling a dryland rig.

This comes with the inevitable risk that they may see a critter off the running track in a forest, and I'm on the rig with good brakes and my weight too, however I KNOW they could easily still keep pulling.

I would definitely feel safer if they will respond more reliably (and thus all of us remain safer too!) if training with these...

So, for those of you out there who have used them and with success, can you recommend a brand name please?

I've seen a 2 dog pack that gives up to 300m cover and is rechargeable. Around £26.00 and for large dogs.

First one...HY UNDYE I think...- need to go bk and look again.

I'm prepared to go up to maybe £75 but no more.

• Like 1

Maz please do not use these while running a rig you want to start the ignore command on small animals and your rig will have powerful enough brakes to stop and how do think you will push the button with 2 hands on the steering wheel? To keep yourself balanced...

• Like 1

Rob. I wouldn't!

The idea is to work (gently) with the e-collars pre all this for response WHEN I'm on the rig. Please don't worry...I know how bad these can be if used wrong.

If I can achieve through a niudge/vibrate, attention response and action then I would hope for at least a safer ride for us all rather than have them run off track. Still thinking..

Rob. I wouldn't!

The idea is to work (gently) with the e-collars pre all this for response WHEN I'm on the rig. Please don't worry...I know how bad these can be if used wrong.

If I can achieve through a niudge/vibrate, attention response and action then I would hope for at least a safer ride for us all rather than have them run off track. Still thinking..

ok but with the season for running coming to an end on this site of the planet why not start training the ignore command all the time in the world to do so, mine have a really big prey instinct and where I run there are lots of deer (much more intersting then a rabbit due to the smell)  and once they are running ignore and walk on command works so well that I do not worry...and really Maz the brakes on your rig can hold a team of 3 to 4 very well trained long time running dogs you would not have any trouble holding your 2 with brakes alone...

Sorry to say Maz you won't get a decent collar for under £200, I paid £220 for my sportsdog collar it has 1 mile range and works in the wet.

It's a pity you live so far away from us as I would like you to see all our huskys playing and running together ( sometimes up to 20 dogs)

Don't let anyone put you off on here make your own mind up and get someone to train you on how to use them

I am turning. For them.

I live in the country (well..midlands). I want to give my dogs a chance to run pulling a dryland rig.

This comes with the inevitable risk that they may see a critter off the running track in a forest, and I'm on the rig with good brakes and my weight too, however I KNOW they could easily still keep pulling.

I would definitely feel safer if they will respond more reliably (and thus all of us remain safer too!) if training with these...

So, for those of you out there who have used them and with success, can you recommend a brand name please?

I've seen a 2 dog pack that gives up to 300m cover and is rechargeable. Around £26.00 and for large dogs.

First one...HY UNDYE I think...- need to go bk and look again.

I'm prepared to go up to maybe £75 but no more.

I don't know about price conversions, but I have a Dogtra 300m and mini Einstein- both have a 1/2 mile range and both begin @ $200 Canadian- however they only come with only a single collar- second collar sold separately.

I'd recommend the Dogtra if you have two dogs. The one receiver can simultaneously do two collars without needing to switch between modes.

What ever the case, I would never recommend buying a cheap e-collar. You want it 100% waterproof and from a well known manufacturer of quality products. Always check to see the reviews and never buy a collar from e-bay or like minded sites who often sell counterfeit products. The last thing you ever want is a cheap e-collar that will ether malfunction or not respond each and every time- if it doesn't come with a manufacturers guarantee, I personally would never use it.

Also, don't buy pet store brands- not all e-collar provide the same stimuli. You want one that performs on the same principles as a tens machine- muscle contraction- not electric shock.

• Like 1

Ok thanks. And yes, I have been dead against them for years however this has been due to

a) my youth and my mother's strong dislike because of horrific cruel use constantly reported (obviously in the wrong hands)

b)never hearing ever (until this site!) that actually they can be helpful in keeping a much loved pet safe - through a kinder & faster method of training that would appear to be pretty foolproof and finally

c) that there is a 'tens' affect and not an electric shock.

Having used a tens machine for extreme spasm in my neck (because of severe degenerative cervical spondylosis) I know how 'strong' they can be!

Also, the passive abdo muscle exerciser on a disappointing stomach! (Not good though if too near a caesarian scar! Lol - the CS's were done x 3 which caused a really stretched skin section that simply will not pull in and go bacķ flat) #sigh

So I know what it feels like and certainly will be wary with something like this around my dogs' necks.

I just want them to be safe and that they will respond quickly and not ever get into a situation of serious consequences. ☺