Huskies Off Lead

I've been reading this and biting my tongue. After what I did by letting my girl have her freedom, I have to say that I don't think there's anyplace really safe that isn't inside something.  Those who place their trust in training with an ecollar - it only takes one time for things to go bad - just once!  It's not worth the heartache.  My two now are either inside or on 30 foot leads outside (except when they play Houdini and then I don't wait for them to come back, I go looking!!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Once Pearl started to play with Travis,I started walking them together.We have a sports field a 5 min walk away from our house,hubbys friend is the manager.The field closes at 5 each evening through winter,so he locks up and allows us to use the 2mile diameter field for an hour,I have to be honest there hasn;t been once that i have had to call Pearl more than once,

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Laska if off lead pretty much all the time except for street walking to and from parks/beach or such. She can be a nuisance and stubborn but she knows when I raise my voice it's urgent and she comes running or if I move out of her sight. I think (totally unaware) I've created a dependency

Dazza

• Like 1

I've never let any of my dogs off lead regardless of breed. My three rotties were friendly, but it only takes one second and its game over.

The same now goes for Mishka, although I have been training her since I got her on long line recall in case of accidental escape, which paid off today while up the woods.

I was changing from the long line to a short lead and let go of the lead without thinking, and she was off. A hundred metres later she stopped when I recalled her, and came racing back for her treat…I was lucky.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We let them go off lead only in vast open spaces and never on urban areas such as were we live, when we are in nature we know that they won't get far and they never disappear for longer than 45 minutes and always come back although often smelling of a cadaver but that is a different story.

We let them go off lead only in vast open spaces and never on urban areas such as were we live, when we are in nature we know that they won't get far and they never disappear for longer than 45 minutes and always come back although often smelling of a cadaver but that is a different story.

Not sure where you live, but letting your dog offleash in a lot of places is actually illegal. Especially when they run at large like that for that amount of time.

And, not sure what wildlife you have where you live, but I would think twice about letting any dog off the leash even if it had reliable recall - there are many dangers out there in nature, too. A well placed kick from a deer to the head will kill your dog, a poisonous snake/spider bite, etc...

Also, many diseases can transfer to your dogs when they eat a dead (infected) animal, some that can even pass onto you. 

• Like 2

I agree with Elyse here.  I would not let my dogs off leash even in the wilderness.  Although they may not get hit by a car, like she said they can pick up many diseases from other animals.  Also, you run the risk of them getting shot by a hunter, or killed by another animal.  They may have come back in the past but you can't guarantee that they will always come back. 

• Like 1

Like Randy said, mine go for walks, the occasional dog park, and I also have a sled and bike with them when they are harnessed.  We take them for 3 miles of walks every day, plus they play together when they are inside.  We also do training with them, as mental workouts are just as important.

Do the same here and let them play in the garden that can really make them tired....and in the weekends extra walks in the woods....in the summer on a long line they can swim to their hearts content....

Having 2, mine wear each other out :) though they get walked at least twice a day for 45-60 mins each time. They jump ditches when they're out, so plenty of exercise. I have 2 teenage sons, so at the weekend the boys take the boys for a run :) I'm rubbish at running but I walk 4-7 miles each day with them :)

We also have a large conservatory, so play lots of games in there with a ball and the dogs chase each other round.  Sometimes I worry the dogs aren't getting enough exercise, especially in the winter but I worked out they are sleeping between 13 and 15 hours in a 24 hour period, so I'm guessing they do! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No for me. 

We have a trainer and Ronin is very good at recall, but we do it on a long line and this is really just part of obedience training and in case of an emergency. No way I will let him off lead in an open area. There are simply too many sad tales of it going horribly wrong with a dog that usually has fantastic recall.

We have a little park near me that is fenced in and I let him have a run in there at 6am when there is no one there. He will get to run in dry land mushing when he is old enough so there will be plenty of opportunities for him to run flat-out.  :)

well its normal for a husky to chase some animals.. but if he learns that he cant chase them forever, then he gives up when he see that he can not catch it and saves his energy for other animals

i often go to open fields or even woods to let him chase some rabbits and pheasants, when i want to change direction just whistle at him and he gets moving into my direction

we started off leashing as soon as he got to our home, about 2,5 month old.. if you keep husky, or any other breed on leash for longer period of time, its normal when you release the dog that he will run run and run.. i see that hundred times... even with german sheperds.. 

Yep, you just keep doing that ...  I live in the middle of nowhere - there's a thread here titled "Where's Al live" or some such.  Misty was my first Husky ... I let her run because all I had to do was call and she'd come back - till one day (2.5 years ago) she didn't.  Yeh, you just keep thinking that it's all right ....

I now have an Alaskan who gets off lead when we go for a run because he stays beside the jeep when we're go out.  Sasha, on the other hand is never off leash, I've followed her around a few hundred acres a time or two.  I've had the heartache of looking, waiting for them to come home - do yourself and him a big favor, get a 30 meter lead, let him run, but give him the security of not being able to run off.

• Like 3

I'm very certain life on leash is not something you can "condemn" these huskies to live in. Al might be a bit harsh in his wording but he meant well. Running is something embedded in our breed's genes. It's good to hear yours come when called but do realize that 99% (I dare say) of our huskies on here will never ever be let off-lead. The husky's selective hearing is not a stereotype and we are not "condemning" our kids to "a life on a leash". We are not shooting you down for the training method you chose so please do the same to us. Please reconsider your wording. 

i will keep doing that.. i will not condemn him on a life on a leash just because some stereotipes.. he is always by my side and know to think with his head..

he is even train for search and rescue and that i cant do on leash.. 

well, im not shooting anybody down.. i know how they are and i have friends that do not let there huskys off lead, but i also have friends that do let them off lead and they doing that just fine.. in some cases better than some other dogs that are not huskys..

im just saying how we are doing, and that on leading is not necessarily thing for huskies, they can be train to be off lead in some certain areas, some will do it great some good, and some not so good