Huskies Off Lead

its hard to say either way huskies tend to vary by each individual dog ive had many...KayLeigh i could let off anywhere she never ran off!! But Hollywood is an escape artist when he gets out of the fence its almost impossible to get him back inside he thinks its a game or something! Just like i've also had huskies that were EXTREMELY vocal, and then others that barely made a sound! Some that were full of energy and others that were laid back and passive! They still cease to amaze me

• 1 month later...

its hard to say either way huskies tend to vary by each individual dog ive had many...KayLeigh i could let off anywhere she never ran off!! But Hollywood is an escape artist when he gets out of the fence its almost impossible to get him back inside he thinks its a game or something! Just like i've also had huskies that were EXTREMELY vocal, and then others that barely made a sound! Some that were full of energy and others that were laid back and passive! They still cease to amaze me

Exactly! I hate questions like this because it's as if there exists an absolute answer. As with almost everything in the world it's not so black and white; It just depends, largely on training and genetics, upbringing etc...

It is true that there are rare individuals that have good recall, but the entire point is that if you are looking for a dog to accompany you off-leash and be obedient with recall anywhere, it is not wise to look at getting a husky, because as a breed they are notoriously unreliable and prone to running for the joy of it, or cannot be distracted from something that provokes chasing. They are bred to be independent of thought and self-reliant of deed.

I'll reiterate my theory that virtually every husky that owners brag about as having good recall is under the age of 2 years, and that by the time they turn 3 they'll have become unreliable.

Some husky owners have found out the hard way how unreliable even trusted dogs can be. Poor Al lives in the country, where his husky was relatively safe from hazards like traffic, other dogs and people who may pick her up. His dog was good off-leash, and he was sure that he had a lucky exception. His dog was reliable, until the one day she wasn't. Unfortunately, he posted this in November, and hasn't seen her since...

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/im-aggravated-i-know-better.32650/

I remember when we first got puppy, we always let her off lead in the park to play with the other dogs, we had what we called play time and all the dogs came at the same time every day- it was fab to see like 20 dogs all running around and playing. We met a chap who had 2 huskys and he always had them on the lead and he told us to be careful as she would get worse with her recall, us (being stupid) thought we would be ok - but over time she has gotten worse and now we never let her off unless we are in an enclosed area or out of the way with another very well trained dog to occupy her lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I would like to add again to this thread...

Since getting Little Nel I have come to think that she is a husky in mongrels fur as she has so many husky traits :P I tihnk most of these traits apply to most dogs, Little nel is from a working dog blood line so maybe that is why she is similar. Anyway, as said by other people, the recall of her while she was very young and still quite shy was amazing, she was never more than a few feet from us and would come back and stop whenever asked. She is now just over a year old and will take the chance to chase anything at any given opportuity - she will always come back but sometimes she does disappear from sight when we're in the woods and she's chasing squirrells and it takes a while to get her to take notice of you.

For me, Little Nel is never off lead around roads as she has no understanding of cars, she is not allowed into the porch incase she runs out the front door when opened, and she is on a lead looped around a dog loop in the boot of the car whenever we go out in that incase she tries to jump out in the car park before we have hold of her. However, I am confident that she will come back to me everytime when on a walk in the park, in the woods or on the beach.

People have to understand that every dog is different and only the owner knows them well enough to decide these things. As long as people who are interested in getting a husky understand there is a strong likelyhood that they may not be able to exercise them off lead then it is up to them to learn their own dogs personality and decide what to do. x

I do let bella off the lead, but only when there are no other people about, she is fine with dogs and will ignore them (unless its a fellow husky) she is let off on the beach often, and every night on newbriton prom. As i said, only if there are no other people about, we tent to go about 10pm, well last night we went twice, at 9pm and at midnight. She is good with recall. But i dont expect this to last as she is only young. X

I've said no, simply because when Pingu was younger, we used to take her to a woods near Lanydrock, she was really young so we were in the middle of training her. She was a pup at the time (I think its really hard for her to focus with so many smells and so much going on) but one day we'd let her off (my birthday to be exact), and she decided it would be wonderful to run around by herself. her being her shes so speedy she decided to jump a hedge and i didn't see her for 45 minutes, and when I was going through the woods all of sudden she jumped at me, She came back too me in the end, im guessing by hearing me shout but i've never had such a bad feeling before so i'm far to scared to let her off but not just that, her sister has been caught by the dog warden 2 or 3 times because shes been let off and just ran away (i dont have her sister someone else does lol), im quite happy with walking her on a lead, although she pulls like hell, im cool with that though, helps me get up hills easier!!!:D

I've put no as well, even though i did used to let Kai off quite regularly, it was rather stupid of me, he didn't have good recall whatsoever, would chase people on their bikes etc. I'm just very glad i don't let him off anymore, was irresponsible of me. ( i don't have a problem with anyone who does let theirs off lead btw, well only the people i keep bumping into latley who will let their dogs off lead, with very bad recall, and the owners are hundreds of meters away not even watching what their dog is doing, that's the only thing that annoys me lol ), I would let our dog Kira off lead, as she has good recall, but only in an enclosed area. I've got a 50 foot lead though which will let Kai have the freedom to run around :)

I've trained both of my dogs using e-collars. Since then, I don't ever really need the collar but keep it on 'just in case'. Here's a video of my boy running off leash by my truck, it's an excellent way to excersize him when I'm feeling less than energetic:

Qhm6yQ1C-Bs

I've trained both of my dogs using e-collars. Since then, I don't ever really need the collar but keep it on 'just in case'. Here's a video of my boy running off leash by my truck, it's an excellent way to excersize him when I'm feeling less than energetic:

I am very impressed with how calm your dog is - e-collar or no. I run Wyatt outside the car (he still has to be on a leash though), and when we go, we go! I let him set the pace and it's all I can do to keep up with his acceleration! It's one of his favourite things to do in all the world.

Although from what I've read lately Seppalas are supposed to be better offlead than most huskies, I won't be letting mine off, at least, not together. I've taken them outside individually to potty and Shila is amazing for staying put. Orion runs off a little bit but does come back (and a quick No has turned him around) but I tried the two of them yesterday outside in the back yard and it was a disaster. They got so wrapped up in running with each other they ignored me. So, no free offleash time for them together. That said, if they ever do get to a point where they reliably come back, I may let them go in the back yard for a run off leash, but only the back yard.

I like the running with vehicles, although I'm going to see if I can borrow my dad's four wheeler to run with the dogs sometime once Orion's old enough for running, just to see their top speed and how long they can sustain it.

Although from what I've read lately Seppalas are supposed to be better offlead than most huskies, I won't be letting mine off, at least, not together. I've taken them outside individually to potty and Shila is amazing for staying put. Orion runs off a little bit but does come back (and a quick No has turned him around) but I tried the two of them yesterday outside in the back yard and it was a disaster. They got so wrapped up in running with each other they ignored me. So, no free offleash time for them together. That said, if they ever do get to a point where they reliably come back, I may let them go in the back yard for a run off leash, but only the back yard.

I like the running with vehicles, although I'm going to see if I can borrow my dad's four wheeler to run with the dogs sometime once Orion's old enough for running, just to see their top speed and how long they can sustain it.

I've clocked Wyatt at his fastest at nearly 50 kph, and his settled-in pace is about 35 kph, with periodic bursts over 40kph. Scout can't get anywhere close to matching that!

:jawdrop:

I have some video of him running I can upload - I'll have to take some the next time he goes out (prob not until the snow has melted though - the dirt road I use doesn't see a lot of traffic in the winter and is not plowed) and I'll make sure to get the speedometer in there too!