Sarah

Huskies Off Lead

I usually let my dog off leash in parks or places where its isolated with plenty of room and its only me and him. Of course there have been times where he has wondered off to another dog with another owner that I did not see. I think it depends on the training. My husky wonders far away enough to where he can keep his eyes on me. When I call him he comes mostly to me and sometimes near to me.  I think if you want to train them off leash then isolated areas are a good place to start and then slowly start adding distractions. Or you can get a professional $$... just my 2 cents

Zola has been with for 1 month only so we are still establishing our relationship. So No I don't let her off unless in an enclosed space.

Zola has been with for 1 month only so we are still establishing our relationship. So No I don't let her off unless in an enclosed space.
I wouldn't even if your dog was 10 years old , enclosed space only

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I have a 7' fence around 37 acres. Sarah has escaped multiple times and i had to stop traffic to catch her. I live way out in the country but people drive fast on these back country roads.  I bought a collar that has beeps, vibrates and shock.  I dont use the shock but the  vibration mode does wonders. When she goes towards the corner of the property and i press a button, she comes back at full speed. this will save her life.

I’ve always let my husky off the lead from around 8 months and she has been awesome. We have local woods that she can run and chase vermin till her hearts content... as long as I keep an eye on her and keep her close and in sight. I get a lot of compliments on her behaviour/character. Even when we have been for a run and going back home there is a spot she will always stop at to get her lead back on, same with at the house I take her lead off as soon as I open the door and she will go in herself while I am taking my bike into the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Oh, my back garden fence is 4ft at most, gate 3-4 ft at most and she’s never once tried to escape, she will sit with her head between the slats just watching the day go by, I also know when someone is coming to the house as she will run in to go to the front door. If we get a takeaway our delivery driver brings her a biscuit and when we get our weekly shopping delivered she is always at the front door to say hello and have a rummage to see if we got her anything. She never steps out the door if I say no

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Luna sounds like the exception to the rule, they can be like that for years and then one day they just go. We take ours with us on days out, they have 3 hours + a day walking plus off lead runs and still Cai would be gone in a heartbeat if he was able to escape and Luka blue shows no interest in escaping but he would follow Cai. When Cai’s on his walks all he does is look for prey, he just wants to hunt!

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

• Like 2

I only let mine off in a secure enclosed dog park. Funnily enough it's the people have never owned a husky that's will argue they should be off leash. No way will I let mine off. He has a strong prey drive the minute he's got a scent he goes crazy. 

• Like 2