3 yr old husky , help to make her get along with my cats and also other small dogs in public

Hi all,

I've had a siberian for about 3 years now, and I got her when she was about 3 months old. I got her at the same time as a golden retriever, same age as her. When I first brought them home, I already had 3 cats. Even in those early days, the siberian had showed some prey drive and biting behavior towards the cats, so I've kept them separated. Similarly, over the years I've noticed she does not get along with small dogs and tries to bite them. I've noticed this moreso recently since we've been seeing a lot more small dogs lately in the past few months on walks (not sure why).

Up until now, I guess I was ok with the cats and the siberian not getting along. I didn't expect that originally because I thought if dogs and cats knew each other while growing up they'd almost always get along. It's very inconvenient to keep them separated all the time because, I don't get to spend much time with the cats with this setup, and I am also somewhat anxious in terms of the siberian's behavior around small dogs. I don't think separating the siberian from all small dogs is appropriate for my lifestyle because that sounds like a stressful life.

I've seen pictures and read posts by people where their siberians get along with cats and other small dogs. I also saw a big alaskan malamute playing with a small dog today both off leash and they had separate owners. And my moms coworker's daughter has a siberian that can run around off leash with no problem coming when she's called.....but my siberian would likely dart off looking for some small animal.

as far as cats go, the dog is too old to learn how to play with cats. not gonna happen.

if the dog has been socialized, which I assume she has as you also have a golden, the dog should be able to play with small dogs. Siberians love biting, and when they play they WILL bite. That is how they play, that is part of the famous husky rough play. you just have to teach them to not bite too hard, by playing with them and letting them know when it is too hard. Also, make sure you stop the bite if she bites other dogs too hard, but do not stop the play.

Sometimes mine will get too excited and start choking other dogs, since sibes love biting necks, and I just call his name and he knows he is biting too hard. It's all about training.

Hi, and :welcome:!

I agree that it's probably too late to train her to live with cats, given her prey drive - although I know someone who has done it, she's a very experienced trainer, is very good at reading body language, and at stopping behaviors about the time they occur to the dog. I would still be cautious with her around small dogs, as well. Are there any dog training classes or dog trainers near you that you might be able to go to and see about getting help? At a class, you're more likely to have a situation where you can introduce her to smaller dogs with someone experienced around to help keep an eye on things, and help if her behavior goes past rough play into prey drive... Good luck!