Where did you get your sibe from?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gemma Riley

we got a copy of five generation pedigree , neo`s fathers side has some good bloodlines in it zoox, rajarani - if its right ! The bitch on the other hand - so i was told by someone who races n lives nearby is from a puppy farm as she got one from there as well. I tried to look into some of the names but couldn't find any. OTHER THAN ... DAZ WHITERTHAN WHITE... who appears on hundreds of pedigrees apparently. But hey he`s a pet not a show dog or race machine.

What the person stated about Daz Whiter than white is correct!! Unfortunatley :mad:

Sarah Ive had a look at her ped and have never heard of that affix? I only recognise the dogs in the 3/4th generation :icon9:

Oh just found this http://pets.uk.freeads.net/dogs/siberian_husky/1039869/siberian-husky-stud-/view :banghead:

OTHER THAN ... DAZ WHITERTHAN WHITE... who appears on hundreds of pedigrees apparently. But hey he`s a pet not a show dog or race machine.

The real point is that any well-bred dog should be capable of being all three - family pet, show dog and working dog - with no problems. When people tell you they are "just" breeding for "pets" or "show" or "working" , then, for me, there is a problem. Ours are all three (as well as charity workers and occasional models) and that is how, in an ideal world, it should be.

Mick

The real point is that any well-bred dog should be capable of being all three - family pet, show dog and working dog - with no problems. When people tell you they are "just" breeding for "pets" or "show" or "working" , then, for me, there is a problem. Ours are all three (as well as charity workers and occasional models) and that is how, in an ideal world, it should be.

Mick

Sorry Mick, but yo should have said any well bred Husky, not any well bred dog. Not all breeds are workin dogs and lets face it, some are hardly good lookin lol.

We got Saskia from a breeder over in Liverpool she was advertised in the loot both owners are K.C registered breeders with both bitch and dog there to see, they had 10 puppies and all healthy.

Dave .... wont give his second name as thats not my place to and his wife grilled sue and myself on everything about owning a husky and told us everything we needed to know, yes she is fully K.C registered and had breed restrictions in place.

Wolf came from a breeding kennels in Lincolnshire he was 7 months old when we got him and again came K.C registered he was advertised on the pet4homes website.

As posted by Gemma wolf as been advertised out to stud and if Saskia and Wolf have any more pups they will be advertised in the same way I cant see any problem with this as if it was not for this way of getting pups I know 13 members would not be on here and I wouldn't mind betting that most of the dogs on here was bought the same way.

I have never advertised on this forum as it was not made for that and am sure its against the rules to do so :banghead:

I have never advertised on this forum as it was not made for that and am sure its against the rules to do so :banghead:

Very true, advertising of pups for sale is a big no no on here as it's not what we're about :up:

Must admit, if it wasn't for Dunc i possibly wouldn't have my two boys and that would mean that this forum wouldn't have been here as you all know, both my boys came from Saskia and Wolf

So i've answered the thread question lol

Sorry Mick, but yo should have said any well bred Husky, not any well bred dog. Not all breeds are workin dogs and lets face it, some are hardly good lookin lol.

See what you mean Marc, but as we are a Husky Forum, I assumed we were talking about Huskies :D:D

Mick

We got Saskia from a breeder over in Liverpool she was advertised in the loot both owners are K.C registered breeders with both bitch and dog there to see, they had 10 puppies and all healthy.

Dave .... wont give his second name as thats not my place to and his wife grilled sue and myself on everything about owning a husky and told us everything we needed to know, yes she is fully K.C registered and had breed restrictions in place.

Wolf came from a breeding kennels in Lincolnshire he was 7 months old when we got him and again came K.C registered he was advertised on the pet4homes website.

As posted by Gemma wolf as been advertised out to stud and if Saskia and Wolf have any more pups they will be advertised in the same way I cant see any problem with this as if it was not for this way of getting pups I know 13 members would not be on here and I wouldn't mind betting that most of the dogs on here was bought the same way.

just a quick question dunc

how do you keep them apart when saskia in season to prevent puppies?

just a quick question dunc

how do you keep them apart when saskia in season to prevent puppies?

Its not easy but like everything else in life you learn how, Saskia as just gone thou a season now all we did was make sure one of is with them at all times and if we cant be they are in there crates anyway, that's a good thing about one of us working nights the other on days :)

I got Diesel from a breeder in Stoke-on-Trent. I travelled 3 hours from London. He absolutely loves his dogs, and got a little choked when the puppies were going. He makes the effort and likes to keep in contact with you, if you want him to, so you can go back to him if you need any help or advise. He loves receiving photos and stories about his puppies, and likes to see how they're growing up. I have him on facebook, msn and his mobile number, so I let him know how his little panda is doing when I speak to him. He also asks for the vets number that you signed your puppy up with to make sure he/she gets all his first vaccines done on time. He obviously cares about all of his dogs! SOME breeders just don't care about where their pups go to nowadays and just want your money. So, please be careful when buying any breed. But I found my breeder the complete opposite. He let my partner and I meet all of his dogs and puppies, and it wasn't just a fly-in visit. Would highly recommend, tbh!! AND he let me choose Diesel's KC name! =D

If this is the same breeder that I got Willow from then enough said about him! :mad:

I got Willow and Loki both off the internet, Loki from Chesterfield, Willow from Stoke. Both are KC reg and we got them within a month of each other. Their pedigrees have lots of questionable names.

I got Thor from a breeder in Lincolnshire (not artichill!) he was a bit of an impulse buy so wasn't really thought out.

I think this is possibly one of the biggest downfalls for sibes at the moment, the ability to decide one morning you want one, and then be able to get your hands on one by the end of the day.

Guest Gemma Riley

If this is the same breeder that I got Willow from then enough said about him! :mad:

I got Willow and Loki both off the internet, Loki from Chesterfield, Willow from Stoke. Both are KC reg and we got them within a month of each other. Their pedigrees have lots of questionable names.

I got Thor from a breeder in Lincolnshire (not artichill!) he was a bit of an impulse buy so wasn't really thought out.

I think this is possibly one of the biggest downfalls for sibes at the moment, the ability to decide one morning you want one, and then be able to get your hands on one by the end of the day.

Fab post Sarah, you and me both know the consequences of breeding with no thought!!

It really bugs me when I see people breed Sibes that do not show or work them. You really have to ask yourself why are they breeding! Makes my blood boil :mad:

I wish people would research who they are actually getting dogs off!

Gemmsie

x

Guest Gemma Riley

I suppose that's true of most breeds these days though, not just sibes.

I also have a few "odd" names on my KC certificates - Daz Whiter Than White being one of them

Not an odd name just the poor sod has been bred the arse off to create the next generation of over bred sibes!

what gets me is why if you want to own a husky you are expected to show or work them ???? why cant you just own one for the joy of ownin a dog that is challenging to say the least lol, if i wanted to pay through the nose for a pedagree id have gone and brought a bulldog or something, i just wanted a husky, for a pet , yep i said it a PET, they dont have to be perfect , be the right height or weight, or have their tails at the correct height, they dont have to run like the wind or pull like a bull, they just need to be good honest pets , intellegent, gentle , good with the kids, fun to be with , loving , loyal to a point lmao, and all this fuss and polava over pedigrees and whos name is where, i really couldnt give a crap (pardon the french), if only breeders who showed their dogs or ran them were allowed to breed them , there would be quite a shortage , and what would be the point? if you wanted a husky , you have to pay a samll fortune for a dog thats is , how can i put it , over qualified for the role of family pet

what gets me is why if you want to own a husky you are expected to show or work them ???? why cant you just own one for the joy of ownin a dog that is challenging to say the least lol, if i wanted to pay through the nose for a pedagree id have gone and brought a bulldog or something, i just wanted a husky, for a pet , yep i said it a PET, they dont have to be perfect , be the right height or weight, or have their tails at the correct height, they dont have to run like the wind or pull like a bull, they just need to be good honest pets , intellegent, gentle , good with the kids, fun to be with , loving , loyal to a point lmao, and all this fuss and polava over pedigrees and whos name is where, i really couldnt give a crap (pardon the french), if only breeders who showed their dogs or ran them were allowed to breed them , there would be quite a shortage , and what would be the point? if you wanted a husky , you have to pay a samll fortune for a dog thats is , how can i put it , over qualified for the role of family pet

Where to start???

Firstly with statistics. Our work over the past two and a half years has clearly shown that Sibes from "bad" breeders (ie those who don't show, don't work and only breed for money for the "pet" market) are much more likely to end up in welfare than dogs bred by responsible, good breeders. That is a simple fact! Of the almost 300 dogs we have rescued and rehomed in 2.5 years, only 3 (ie 1%) were bred by what we would regard as good breeders.

Secondly, whether you want a working dog, a show dog or a pet, what you want is a healthy dog. Almost none of the breeders producing dogs for the "pet" market do any health testing whatever on their dogs. In the dogs coming into welfare we are seeing more and more eye, hip, intestinal and temperament problems. Why? - because good breeders research their bloodlines carefully before breeding, they check the temperaments of their dogs, they ensure that their breeding dogs have clear eye tests and good hip scores and that there are no other health problems within the lines. The vast majority of "pet" breeders do nothing of the kind as it would cut into their profit margins.

Thirdly, maybe a shortage would be a good idea. Part of the problem with the breed nowadays (and for many other breeds as well) is that someone can see a husky in the street, or in a film, or on a music video and say, "I want one of those NOW!"

No research, no knowledge of the breed and no understanding of the fact that taking on a husky puppy is the equivalent of deciding to have a child. Like a child, your dog will be a money pit. Like a child your dog will be dependent on you for at least 15 years (if it is healthy). Like a child, your life-decisions will always have to take your dog into account.

Too many people just go out and buy a puppy from the internet within days of deciding they want one - and unfortunately there are plenty of irresponsible "breeders" only too willing to cater for their desire for that "cute" puppy.

If people had to wait a while for a puppy, rather than buying it "off the shelf" like soap powder or a sofa, they might take the time to think about what they are letting themselves in for and there might be several hundred fewer dogs coming into welfare.

Mick

I couldn't agree with you more, i wanted a sibe not a blow dried equivalent. I love my 2 sibes and where would i, you and half the people on this forum be now if these abominations didn't occur! Youve got 3 sibes and can 100% call you a responsible, loving dog owner >> what's the problem?? >> Well there really shouldn't be one! If i wanted to go to crufts and wash my sibe everyday, teach her to stack and so on then yes a kc sibe would seem fit but i didn't, i can still run my two as it stands, maybe not professionally >>> but again sibes where not bred to win people money, fame or races, they were bred to co-exist with a tribe and help them get from a __b.

Where to start???

Firstly with statistics. Our work over the past two and a half years has clearly shown that Sibes from "bad" breeders (ie those who don't show, don't work and only breed for money for the "pet" market) are much more likely to end up in welfare than dogs bred by responsible, good breeders. That is a simple fact! Of the almost 300 dogs we have rescued and rehomed in 2.5 years, only 3 (ie 1%) were bred by what we would regard as good breeders.

Secondly, whether you want a working dog, a show dog or a pet, what you want is a healthy dog. Almost none of the breeders producing dogs for the "pet" market do any health testing whatever on their dogs. In the dogs coming into welfare we are seeing more and more eye, hip, intestinal and temperament problems. Why? - because good breeders research their bloodlines carefully before breeding, they check the temperaments of their dogs, they ensure that their breeding dogs have clear eye tests and good hip scores and that there are no other health problems within the lines. The vast majority of "pet" breeders do nothing of the kind as it would cut into their profit margins.

Thirdly, maybe a shortage would be a good idea. Part of the problem with the breed nowadays (and for many other breeds as well) is that someone can see a husky in the street, or in a film, or on a music video and say, "I want one of those NOW!"

No research, no knowledge of the breed and no understanding of the fact that taking on a husky puppy is the equivalent of deciding to have a child. Like a child, your dog will be a money pit. Like a child your dog will be dependent on you for at least 15 years (if it is healthy). Like a child, your life-decisions will always have to take your dog into account.

Too many people just go out and buy a puppy from the internet within days of deciding they want one - and unfortunately there are plenty of irresponsible "breeders" only too willing to cater for their desire for that "cute" puppy.

If people had to wait a while for a puppy, rather than buying it "off the shelf" like soap powder or a sofa, they might take the time to think about what they are letting themselves in for and there might be several hundred fewer dogs coming into welfare.

Mick

Firstly I wouldnt assume that by not showing/working makes you a bad breeder? You can be a perfectly responsible breeder, kc dogs, in superb health and temperament, fit all the standards.....? A serious racing breeder will only sell to people who want to work their sibes for one reason >>> they know their dogs will suffer if not ran seriously >>> these dogs are bred to perfection of their job, sometimes they have tried showing some of their top lead sibes and they have been "spooked" by all the light and noises. << Now you may say well this is not a well bred sibe, i disagree, showing determines nothing more than cosmetic factors, which a tape measure and a good sibe breeder could inform you. Its a trumped up system not for the dogs >> if you ask me the humans look like their having more fun!

well i brought my lot like soap powder, i saw i wanted i got , dief is a cross, taz came from tested parents , tori did not, every dog born runs the risk of health problems weather the parents have been tested or not, humans as a whole have many genetic defects, some hereditary some, not, if we take this stance should all humans be genetically tested b4 we r allowed to breed?, and by discouraging ppl from not buying puppys from byb , the welfare surley would have more work , if they cant sell the puppys what r you gonna do with them ,you have said you only breed occasionally and then you give the dogs to ppl who you know will give the dog a good home, what about all the ppl trying to find a good dog from a proper breeder, if you all give you dogs to mates where do ordinary ppl go to get a dog.

Firstly I wouldn’t assume that by not showing/working makes you a bad breeder?

Showing and working are not the only factors which determine a good breeder, but they are one of the important indications.

You can be a perfectly responsible breeder, kc dogs, in superb health and temperament, fit all the standards.....?

How do you know if your dog fits the standard if you don't show it? - unless you have years and years of showing experience behind you.

A serious racing breeder will only sell to people who want to work their sibes for one reason >>> they know their dogs will suffer if not ran seriously >>> these dogs are bred to perfection of their job, sometimes they have tried showing some of their top lead sibes and they have been "spooked" by all the light and noises. << Now you may say well this is not a well bred sibe, i disagree,

Two or three things here - many of the top-winning racers/breeders in the UK show their dogs as well as racing them and don't appear to have any problems doing so. Some choose not to and that is their right, but there should be no difference whatever between racing dogs, showing dogs and pet dogs - a well bred, standard-fitting Siberian Husky should be equally comfortable doing all three. It is also worth mentioning that all our racing here in the UK is ultra-short-distance sprint racing - the direct opposite of what the breed is designed to do, so there is the possibility that some dogs which succeed at sprint racing will be incredibly fast sprint racers, but won't necessarily fit the breed standard which clearly states that Sibes should not be "so light and fragile as to resemble a sprint racing animal"

showing determines nothing more than cosmetic factors, which a tape measure and a good sibe breeder could inform you. Its a trumped up system not for the dogs >> if you ask me the humans look like their having more fun!

That shows a real lack of understanding of what showing is all about. If you undertook a Breed Seminar with the SSHC or the SHCGB, you would begin to understand just how complex and important the science and art of judging dogs is. What showing is primarily concerned with is not cosmetic at all, but conformation - how the dog is constructed and how that construction might aid or impede its working ability. With Siberian Huskies and other northern breeds, the showring grows in importance as in the UK we do not have the long distance frozen trails to test our dogs abilities - all we can do is test their working attitude on the trail and test their working potential in the showring.

Incidentally, most show dogs love the showring and get almost as excited at a show as they do when they are getting harnessed up for a run.

Mick

every dog born runs the risk of health problems weather the parents have been tested or not, humans as a whole have many genetic defects, some hereditary some, not, if we take this stance should all humans be genetically tested b4 we r allowed to breed?

A puppy from health-tested parents runs a tiny risk of eye or hip problems which is why we do it.

With humans, I'd be more in favour of an intelligence test - Have you seen "Idiocracy?" - scary stuff :confused:

, and by discouraging ppl from not buying puppys from byb , the welfare surley would have more work , if they cant sell the puppys what r you gonna do with them ,you have said you only breed occasionally and then you give the dogs to ppl who you know will give the dog a good home, what about all the ppl trying to find a good dog from a proper breeder, if you all give you dogs to mates where do ordinary ppl go to get a dog.

That might be a very temporary effect, but if they couldn't sell their pups and make a profit, they would go on to do something else to make money - hopefully less likely to impact on living beings.

Mick

Guest Gemma Riley

what gets me is why if you want to own a husky you are expected to show or work them ????

Your NOT!!

but I would expect the person that bred your Sibe to do so! Plenty of GOOD kennels let their dogs go to 'pet' homes.

A dog that is KC registered is not just about being blow dried, thats a very niave view!

Work in welfare for a year and see the amount of unregistered or pet owner bred sibes coming in and you may feel as passionate as I do!!!

BUT I can try to teach people the right way and inform them how to buy a puppy and how to learn who are the good guys. It does not mean I look at your dogs and think they are crap (which is why I think you all get so defensive) its the crap breeders I dislike!

I agree with Mick, go to a breed seminar!

Guest Gemma Riley

you have said you only breed occasionally and then you give the dogs to ppl who you know will give the dog a good home, what about all the ppl trying to find a good dog from a proper breeder, if you all give you dogs to mates where do ordinary ppl go to get a dog.

I did not know Terry or Mick before I got one of their dogs. I did get an older girly from them, Isi and they then become very good friends of ours.

Breeders do not give all dogs to their mates but they do give dogs to people that can prove they have done the research on the breed and fully understand what it is to own a Siberian Husky! The buying off the shelf people dont do research which is why the probably fail at the first hurdle!