Luna's SA training

Hmmm.... you know I hadn't realised that about her cover! I'll try taking it off the next time I do a leave and see what happens!!

I've got a slight problem that's stopping me from leaving her again....earlier today she vomitted up her breakfast (I gave it to her about 20-30mins after her morning walk), I put it down to giving her a tripe stick (to try and get her into her crate) too soon after breakfast, but about 20 minutes ago she went and had a drink and then threw the water back up a few minutes later. Just keeping an eye on her....bit worried if she can't keep water down!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the SA training isn't going too bad as Luna doesn't appear to be getting too stressed when you 'leave'

You may want to consider moving the table or moveing the things from the table to prevent them getting damaged.

I can't offer any advice on crate training as Polee doesn't use a crate but I'm sure those members that do will advise on that. It maybe worthwhile starting a new thread for the crate training advice.

Keep up the good work

Hi Lee,

Thank you! Yes, she doesn't seem massively stressed when I leave, I'm starting to think she's learnt the behaviour from her previous owners. I'm guessing they always came back and made a fuss of her when she howled! I have now moved the coffee table to the middle of the room (the lamp is now on a stool, right by the sofa, out of Luna's way), I'll try another leave once I've seen her drinking water without vomitting (see my post above).

I think I'm okay on the crate training advice, I've read quite a few threads with tips on crate training and I've moved the cover right back as per @MaisieMoo 's suggestion and she just went in there of her own accord to have a sniff!!! Could be progress!

Oooooh a small success!! I took the cover off her crate and did a ten minute leave, no massive change there but she did go into her crate two or three times. When I came I showed her the kong she had been ignoring and she went into her crate and stayed in there for ten minutes playing with it!! I sat nearby, giving lots of praise and closing the door (I did open it a couple of times but she didn't come out!)

Phew, there might be hope for us yet!

Oooooh a small success!! I took the cover off her crate and did a ten minute leave, no massive change there but she did go into her crate two or three times. When I came I showed her the kong she had been ignoring and she went into her crate and stayed in there for ten minutes playing with it!! I sat nearby, giving lots of praise and closing the door (I did open it a couple of times but she didn't come out!)

Phew, there might be hope for us yet!

that's soooo good - there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you!

i'm so thrilled for you

keep at it hun,Luna will soon learn you are not going to be beaten on this and will give in graciously

i think in a short time you have done really well:clap:

but,if she goes a little back over dont be dis-heartened,keep with your consistancy:D

Sounds to me like you're making some progress! That's awesome; SA's horrible for dogs. I've ordered a DVD called Crate Games to help train my pup when I get them; if there's any good tips, I can let you know.

the morning has started well, with a cheese and biscuit filled kong in her closed crate.....now how do I make her settle in it without food?

you may never. mine still go to their crates with treats everytime. INcluding bedtime. lol

Has anyone used adaptil? aka DAP? Someone said it would be good for helping Luna settle and I could get a plug in to put next to her crate that will help her relax.

I've red it diffuses a dog appeasing pheromone that's a copy of what a mum gives off when feeding her puppies.

I just wonder whether it might help her enjoy her crate a bit more & ease the anxiety a bit. I know I've previously said I think it's learned behaviour but she does struggle when my OH goes back to work after lunch, even with me here!! It might help her feel a bit more settled but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, good or bad!

I've seen it being used for wolves, it really worked to relax them and helped to ignore their anxiety towards strange people and other events that they're not used to :D Other then that I have no experiences with it. But if it has the same effect with dogs I have no doubt it will help her.

Has anyone used adaptil? aka DAP? Someone said it would be good for helping Luna settle and I could get a plug in to put next to her crate that will help her relax.

I've red it diffuses a dog appeasing pheromone that's a copy of what a mum gives off when feeding her puppies.

I just wonder whether it might help her enjoy her crate a bit more & ease the anxiety a bit. I know I've previously said I think it's learned behaviour but she does struggle when my OH goes back to work after lunch, even with me here!! It might help her feel a bit more settled but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, good or bad!

My Ex's rescue dog OBE came from kennels with a DAP collar and he settled in really well from day one despite her being his 4th owner in 18 months. I'm not sure how much of this to attribute to the DAP collar and how much is OBE's relaxed nature but it could be worth a try

UPDATE: Luna had an accident today. I tried to leave her for 15 minutes and she did her usual trick of jumping up to look through the front window, unfortunately, this time she managed to knock over a very heavy glass vase and it smashed on the radiator. Luna took a little slice out of one of her pads and decorated our living room floor with red spots.

She went to the vet and had all her paws checked for glass and the cut properly cleaned and glued to protect it from dirt.

I now feel like a monster for leaving her out of her crate during a "leave" (after saying I was going to crate train her) and am seeking help from a behaviourist to try and get some physical support with her training.

On a plus note...I have re-enforced her crate training this afternoon by shutting her in while I do the washing up and hoovering, she had a few small whines & moans for about ten minutes but is now happily lying down chewing on her pressed rawhide bone! YAY!

On a plus note...I have re-enforced her crate training this afternoon by shutting her in while I do the washing up and hoovering, she had a few small whines & moans for about ten minutes but is now happily lying down chewing on her pressed rawhide bone! YAY!

Hope she's okay with her paw :huskyfall:

:cheerleader::cheerleader: for the crate - perhaps that's the way it works for her!