Luna's SA training

Ha ha, well my afternoon was disrupted by the arrival of the old lady "Bo"....so no more training has been done this afternoon. I currently have a grumpy old lump by my front door and a sleepy puppy snoozing in the garden. Nowt to teach at the moment!

When the OH gets home I'll get him to show me how to upload videos to YouTube and I'll post a video of what happens when Luna is left alone.

Waiting ..... patiently ..... okay, not so patiently!!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, trying to get Luna to use her crate....not working! She's not interested in it unless I put a treat in there and even then she just eats the treat and gets out straight away!

I've closed all the curtains in the living room so she's got no stimulation from the outside world and yet she still insists on lying on the carpet : (

Need some tips!

could you maybe get in the crate with her

may work if she's tired,show her that the crate IS a happy place to be.

a lot of members also cover the crates with blankets so its nice and dim and hopefully a peaceful place where she wants to go.

its a start in the fact you have got her going in the crate albeit for a treat.maybe a nice bone which would take her a while to munch!

Okay, trying to get Luna to use her crate....not working! She's not interested in it unless I put a treat in there and even then she just eats the treat and gets out straight away!

I've closed all the curtains in the living room so she's got no stimulation from the outside world and yet she still insists on lying on the carpet : (

Need some tips!

1. don't close the crate's door before she actually decided that the crate is her den. If you close the door with her inside, she'll think that the crate is a trap and she will do anything to avoid it.

2. Keep doing what you're doing. Let her eat treats and play with her chewtoy inside the crate. Will take time, but soon she'll associate the word "crate" with "good things".

She just carries the bone out (got her a pressed rawhide bone). Each time I put it back in the crate she just takes it back out again until she gets fed up of going to get it and leaves it in there.

ooooh...semi success...coated the ends of the bone in peanut butter and she stood in there to lick it off.

Video is 43% loaded....it's taking forever!!

keep doing what you are doing hun

you know it will take time,but you and Luna are doing really well

this is all new to her and you deserve a huge pat on the back for your perseverance,but the end result will be worth all the

tears, tantrums and laughs too

When she runs to the right of the screen, the noise you hear is her jumping on top of our coffee table to see out the window.

When she runs to the back of the room (in shot) she's looking out into the garden.

When she runs to the left of the screen she's gone to the front door, the clattering that can be heard is her attacking the letterbox.

The thing is, she did seem to enjoy her kong for a little while after I left...and she wasn't running around in a blind panic when she realised I'd gone, and she doesn't greet me like a long lost friend when I come back. I'm actually starting to wonder if she's learnt this behaviour? I wonder if her previous owners made the situation worse by coming back to her and making a fuss when she was howling, rather than praising quiet behaviour.

I'm going to try crate training but she doesn't seem to like her crate much at the moment, even with a pressed rawhide bone (with peanut butter smeared on the ends) and a sheet over the top to make it nice and snug.

dont loose heart hun

although you were only gone a few minutes she wasn't incessantly crying all the time

Tia was much worse than that in the beginning.

maybe when she is use to her crate she will manage a lot better,and will realise you are coming home

its not about the time frame,to a dog if you are gone you are gone,they dont know 5 mins and 1hr.

i did notice she was all waggy bummed when 'mummy' was home,maybe i'm wrong but i would've made a fuss of her when i returned

we did with Tia all i can say is it worked for us,each dog is different but hang in there:D

have you tired confining her to just one room when you go out or does this make her worse?

just wondered if she had nowhere to go maybe she would just lay down with her kong/bone once she realised this.

i did notice she was all waggy bummed when 'mummy' was home,maybe i'm wrong but i would've made a fuss of her when i returned

we did with Tia all i can say is it worked for us,each dog is different but hang in there:D

have you tired confining her to just one room when you go out or does this make her worse?

just wondered if she had nowhere to go maybe she would just lay down with her kong/bone once she realised this.

I say hello once she's calmed down, I just turned the camera off before saying hello and giving praise. Confining her to one room just makes her worse, she's constantly anxious.

@MaisieMoo I think she stays calm because she can see me from where she's lying, our kitchen is open to the living/dining room. However, I will try recording "house" noises and see if that helps!

:owned: by my dog

another of my randoms LOL! ...... what does she do with her kong at other times (play with it or ignore it after a bit) or are you just giving it her when you're going out? wouldn't want her to associate the kong and you going out (although saying that you pick up the kong at our place and Taiya immediately jumps in her crate waiting for it LOL!)

Well I'd red that it's good for a dog to associate you leaving with getting a treat, so she only gets her kong when we're training. I do let her play with it at the end of the day, when I'm not going to be leaving any more and it keeps her amused for ages!

She's not staying in her crate at the moment, I don't know whether to carry on leaving her or not...should I just switch all my energy on trying to crate train her?

I'm going to try and see the behaviourist this afternoon, couldn't see him saturday because I didn't realise he was judging at a dog show!!

Well I'd red that it's good for a dog to associate you leaving with getting a treat, so she only gets her kong when we're training.

I'm going to try and see the behaviourist this afternoon, couldn't see him saturday because I didn't realise he was judging at a dog show!!

Told you it was me being random - didn't know that!

Good luck with the behaviourist this avo - we've got our first dog training sesh tonight :eek:

Well, went and saw the behaviourist and he does seem to think it's learnt behaviour rather than genuine anxiety. He thinks it would be better if we got her into crate training as then she can't run around looking for us and I won't neccessarily have to leave the house to train her to be okay on her own.

The more I think about it the more I feel like she's playing a game with me and I don't know if she can tell she's starting to wear me down but I get the impression she's acting up even more!

I've taken the big dog pillow out of her crate as Keith (the behaviourist) thought she might not be settling in there because she's getting hot and uncomfortable....does anyone line their crates? Or just leave them with the bare tray?

So it's more of the same for me, except now I've got to try and get her into a crate before I can start leaving her....oh holy hell :groan:

P.S. They showed me another Husky cross that's come into the shelter....a Husky crossed with a Lhasa Apso....how the hell that happened I don't know but she was absolutely adorable to look at! ... I don't think Dan would let me though, I'm having enough trouble with one!!

I don't know if she can tell she's starting to wear me down but I get the impression she's acting up even more!

does anyone line their crates? Or just leave them with the bare tray?

Don't give up, you're doing a grand job :)

Both of mine have old quilt covers/sheets in there beds but nothing thick or warm if that helps?

Well I've doubled up the crate liner that came with it, so she's got half bare tray and half cosy liner, then she's got a choice.

She's still not going in it though, I have to throw a treat in and she'll go after it, but if it's a "quick treat" she'll just gobble it up and come straight back out.

I could cry with frustration!!!

I've put two old t-shirts in her crate, one that smells of me & one that smells of my OH. Still no joy.

How am I supposed to get her used to being left when she won't settle in her crate? She just lies on the carpet and shows no interest in her crate unless I'm throwing treats in!!

:banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh crikes Chloe, I so feel for you but don't know what to suggest! (short of either getting in there yourself or throwing a treat in there, shutting the door behind her and sitting the other side till she calms down but then that'd probably totally freek her out! LOL!)

Have you tried it with the cover off it?I've been so lucky with my two and crate training.

i really wish i could help on the crate trainning but i dont use it :( i have to say from the video's she wasnt bad atall id say , mines would howl n attack the door when i left , so glad we are over that ! , good luck with the training wish i could be further help x

Sorry but I had to laugh when she fell off the table bless her!

Her reaction to her crate was interesting - she seemed to be nosey about going in for her kong but then suddenly looks up when (i think) she gets level with the cover. Have you tried it without a cover on so she can still see everything around?

She's certainly a LOT better than she was to start with!