Worried about Tallica's eyes

I've been noticing a change in Tallicas eyes, at first with the bright sunshine I thought it was the glare from bright surfaces but now I'm not so sure.

This past few days I've been trying to get her to keep still enough but she is a major ferret. However I've got her tonight to keep still enough to confirm what I thought I've been seeing...

Tallica's left eye is developing a cloudy look.:(

Time for the vets.:huskyfall:

Has anyone expericed this with their dogs so I know what to expect?:(

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been researching my huskies pedigree and found that his grandparents have the same lineage as another dog (this dogs parents) whose owners have found that he has hereditary cataracts. Has anyone used Ocu-GLO cited and if it helps? My dog is only 20 months old and it has been spotted that there is a slight clouding in one eye which could be linked to his breeding. I was shocked to see that on the Kennel Club website that there are under 40 accreditted husky breeders in the UK although they do put a rider on it stating that not all breeders wish to be published on their site. Could I suggest that if you haven't got her insured already that you do so pretty quickly as I understand that the cost of surgery is exteremely high. See link above. Let's hope its something simple like eye colour change.

Yes she is insured, I just hope if she requires surgury that they won't weed out of it citing herditory commonality in the breed...

I had Lynn Logan look through the history of the lineages of Vix, and as Tallica is her sister the lines are same, there are no huge red flags health wise for them bar one which turned out the bitch weren't health tested till after the first litter and she failed the Gluorcoma test, I think...but that was about the 4th/5th generation, all others dogs on both sides were fine...

Off the top of my head I cant remember, I think it's Argos for some reason...

Yeah it's definately Agros just found the policy email and gone through the exclusions, eye problems are not on the exclusions so should be covered.

"Which inherited eye defects occur in the Siberian Husky? Although there are many possible eye defects, only three are of current concern in the Siberian. These are hereditary or juvenile cataracts, corneal dystrophy, and progressive retinal atrophy. Each disorder is present in a different portion of the eye, and will occur in any eye color. Eye defects in the Siberian Husky are serious and should not be understated or overlooked."

"What are hereditary cataracts & how are they transmitted? Hereditary or juvenile cataracts are manifested by opacity in the lens of a young dog as early as 3 months of age. These cataracts are different from the non-hereditary cataracts affecting aged or senior dogs. The function of the lens of the eye is to focus the rays of light so that they form an image on the retina. An opacity or cataract on the lens causes less light to enter the eye and sight can be diminished. A cataract can cause a mild decrease in eyesight to complete blindness in severe cases. Cataracts can further be classified by location and stage of development. The most common hereditary cataract in the Siberian Husky occurs on the posterior region of the lens. It is not uncommon for a cataract to develop in one eye months before the other eye shows the effects of the disease. Recent DNA research indicates that juvenile cataracts may be carried by a recessive gene. Genetic research is presently under way to develop a simple DNA test to identify dogs and bitches that carry the recessive gene for cataracts."

My breeder has a 2 year health guarantee I don't know if yours maybe does ? but yes a vet visit is needed. I don't mean to freak you out or anything but its good to know about things and how to deal with them. It could be something simple as well! the vet will clear it all up :D

:offtopic: Thanks for asking this question! I have a cataract forming on my right eye - according to my optometrist very slowly - and was interested to see the references to a couple of different eye drops (one for both dogs and humans<??>) to counteract cataract development. Gonna have to remember to ask about thee on my next visit.

I talked with one of my vets about eye drops to dissolve cataracts after reading that thread (she's only a couple of years out of vet school, so should be fairly up-to-date, although not a veterinary ophthalmologist), and she had NEVER heard of any drops that could break down cataracts before - as far as she knows, surgery is the only route to take. I'd check the drops out with an ophthalmologist who sees one species or the other before trying these drops... As I recall, they were made in China, which is enough to give me concern, to begin with...

You and I aren't reading the same posts then. N-Acetyl-Carnosine, Can-Câ„¢ Cataract Eye Drops for Dogs from http://www.wisechoicemedicine.net/store/information.php?info_id=13 Apparently most of the research has been done in Russia (same qualm here as you expressed) but after spending time on the web people are apparently seeing success with this.

Even though this appears to be OTC medicine I'll have to discuss it with my optometrist and would certainly suggest that anyone considering it for their pets discuss it with their vets.

Well I've looked at Tallica's eye again today and strangly looks less cloudy than it did last night:confused: But I'm not taking any chances, she's going to the vets this week. I don't want anything bad happening to her that we could have stopped. My mind is a bit more at ease though reading those links as one of them says that sometimes vision isn't impaired by cloudiness and will only need annual check ups.

I'm a hope for the best, prepare for the worst sort of person. So if these eye drops are something viable, or it only needs check ups, great, if it goes down the surgury route then I'm going to have to get the money somehow (bank of mum most likely) and then repay when the insurance pays out...

Well I've looked at Tallica's eye again today and strangly looks less cloudy than it did last night:confused: But I'm not taking any chances, she's going to the vets this week. I don't want anything bad happening to her that we could have stopped. My mind is a bit more at ease though reading those links as one of them says that sometimes vision isn't impaired by cloudiness and will only need annual check ups.

I'm a hope for the best, prepare for the worst sort of person. So if these eye drops are something viable, or it only needs check ups, great, if it goes down the surgury route then I'm going to have to get the money somehow (bank of mum most likely) and then repay when the insurance pays out...

Some vets will claim directly from your insurance company so you only need to pay the policy access. It's worth asking the Vet if any treatment is required.