Why did you choose a Husky?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never had a dog, grew up with cats, and had never laid eyes on a husky until I met Mark. His parents had three, our Sabien and his mum and dad. Last year Marks dad became ill and his mum had to walk all three dogs which she could not manage. We took in Sabien as they were not getting the exercise or attention they needed. It is the best thing we ever did. I love him, he is my best friend (Mark says Sabien gets more attention than he does!). I can't imagine not having a Husky in my life now. Your pup will definitely help with your confidence as people are always stopping to talk to me when I am out with Sabien. Enjoy your new friend. xx

• 11 months later...

I first fell in love with the idea of huskies when I was 10 or 11. I was a bit of a complicated kid - a combination of action man and nerd. If I wasn't out climbing trees, playing rugby, swimming or cycling, I had my head buried in a book. From the moment I read "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" I knew that at some stage in my life I would have my own team of sled dogs. During the incredibly hard winter of 1962/3 (when it started snowing on Boxing Day 1962 and the temperature in London never went above freezing for three months) I built a makeshift sled and got my long suffering mongrel 'Rusty' to pull me around the frozen wastes of Salt Hill Park in Slough. The dream never quite went away, and when I met and married Terry she bought me 'Merlin' - my first husky in 1994. It was all downhill from there and what with working them, showing them and rescuing them - they have become pretty much our whole lives. Do I regret it - not a bit!

Mick

[MENTION=91]raindog[/MENTION] Ollie says he is so glad that you fell in love with huskies and for your rescue work as otherwise he wouldn't have come into "his" household and have everyone wrapped around his not so little paws. I never thought of owning a husky until 19 months ago when my sons concerned about my lack of exercise took me to meet a one year old husky who needed rehoming. I think what sold me on huskies was Bo's nature and character. He'd been given a rough deal but just got on with it. I then decided 9 months later that Bo needed a playmate and that is when the then 9 month old Ollie came into our lives.

something about sibes has always appealed to me. i could never have one growing up though because i didn't have the time it required to give a sibe the attention/exercise it needs and my mother didn't think huskies should live in warmer climates. As i grew older, i just still basically thought you couldn't have a husky where it's warmer. i met my OH over a year ago and we had decided to get a dog together. he wanted a weimaraner and i wanted a GSD. Neither of us like the other's breed of choice. Huskies were mentioned and i brought up how beautiful and interesting the breed was and he agreed. We started to research. I literally bought books, joined this forum, researched online for weeks. We then FINALLY found a breeder that looked reliable and went to visit them. They told us there were having their last litter for the year (they only had 2 for the year). After meeting with them we decided we were interested in one of their puppies probably. We waited and she notified us when they were born. We put a deposit down to have a pick of the puppies. After seeing all 6 of the adorable furbabies i chose Luka. She sent me weekly pictures and little did he know he already had me wrapped around his finger at 6 weeks. :)

I can honestly say i doubt i will ever go through life again without a Husky. They entertain you, make you laugh, frustrate you at times, but always know the right look to give you when you're mad, and most importantly love you no matter what.

we wanted to get a dog, and we had been thinking about it for a while, and we wanted a working breed for their energy levels, we had it short listed to 3 breeds, husky, german shepherd and border collie.

the people across the road have a german shepherd and it barks all the time, the lady down the park is a collie breeder and it herds people, so it was husky.

We had been dogless for about 10 years, we did research on different breeds, something we hadn't really done in the past. It was time for us to venture into the world of a Husky, our children were grown and gone, while we both still work we have more time to give to our husky. We met Yotie, he gave me a hug, as only a Husky can and that was that, we took him home!

I chose 'a husky' because, all my life I have been brought up around dogs, my parents have always had springer spaniels (a lovely breed - mad as hatters) and my grandparents have always had german shepherds, labs and border collies. My dads friends all had pitbull terriers, japanese tosa's etc up until they brought the ban in under the 'dangerous dog act' as I remember them all campaigning when I was little, about the ban. Daft but I remember spending time with these apparently dangerous dogs, and I remember crying (I was only 5 or 6) when they were taken from my Uncle and my Dads friends, back in the day.

Anyway, i'd always loved the larger breed, but my parents wouldn't stray from springers or labs, and whilst I was young for obvious reasons I wasn't allowed a dog of my own, which is fair play. But i'd always had a thing for the wolf looking breeds! so when me and my fiancee bought our own place together, I decided to start looking for wolf type breed. Which led me to the Siberian Husky! :D

And today, as you all know, we have little Bowe! :cool:

BoweINSPRINT.jpg

And wouldn't change her for the world, even given the circumstances in which she came about :)

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/43553-Possibly-Blind-Husky-Puppy-HELP-amp-ADVICE-NEEDED-IF-POSSIBLE

Mark & Bowe.