Why did you choose a Husky?

So since im getting a Pup soon i was just wondering why you guys chose Huskies over other breeds?

I chose a Husky because ive wanted a Husky since i was 6 and because i have very very bad confidence issues when it comes to talking to people and meeting new people so i thought a beautiful breed like a Husky could help me get out and about and help me.

What about you guys?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we did it the wrong way of corse lol - my parents n lil bros were on holiday - me at home looking after bings - and they met a husky on holiday - it was gorgeous n my lil bro wanted 1 - now to be fair my parents did look up huskies on the net before even telling my brother he could get 1 / we were getting 1 - and well my parents made the silly mistake of telling me! LOL - so i spent the next week looking up huskies and looking for breeders - found a breeder about a week after i was told, put down a deposit (after visiting) and then started doing more research lol - i have 2 say we were lucky with blaze n he never did what we expected of him - he never chewed apart from paper - he never really dug and he was just an all round easy laid back puppy :)

we did it the wrong way of corse lol - my parents n lil bros were on holiday - me at home looking after bings - and they met a husky on holiday - it was gorgeous n my lil bro wanted 1 - now to be fair my parents did look up huskies on the net before even telling my brother he could get 1 / we were getting 1 - and well my parents made the silly mistake of telling me! LOL - so i spent the next week looking up huskies and looking for breeders - found a breeder about a week after i was told, put down a deposit (after visiting) and then started doing more research lol - i have 2 say we were lucky with blaze n he never did what we expected of him - he never chewed apart from paper - he never really dug and he was just an all round easy laid back puppy :)

That sounds like the perfect dog. What was he like when you went to see him at the breeders?

I had to choose between 1 that was exploring, or 1 that was laying on me and giving me kisses. i went for the 1 that was exploring :oops:lol

That sounds like the perfect dog. What was he like when you went to see him at the breeders?

I had to choose between 1 that was exploring, or 1 that was laying on me and giving me kisses. i went for the 1 that was exploring :oops:lol

- he was only 4 days old when we saw him lol so we dont actually know which 1 blaze was - just that we had put a deposit down on a grey n white male - blaze was the only bi-eyed in the litter aswell - which is 1 reason why we got him - ill be honest by the time we went n picked him up - we still had no idea which 1 was our boy

we didnt have a choice with skyla either lol - i got a txt asking for a favour - turns out they wanted me to take in a 14 week old white girl - they didnt tell me she was part polar bear tho ;)

- he was only 4 days old when we saw him lol so we dont actually know which 1 blaze was - just that we had put a deposit down on a grey n white male - blaze was the only bi-eyed in the litter aswell - which is 1 reason why we got him - ill be honest by the time we went n picked him up - we still had no idea which 1 was our boy

we didnt have a choice with skyla either lol - i got a txt asking for a favour - turns out they wanted me to take in a 14 week old white girl - they didnt tell me she was part polar bear tho ;)

Oh right. Took me 3 days to decide which boy i wanted and im still not sure lol. Part of me wishes i could have chosen over the phone aha.

And i swear someone a few doors up from me used to have a polar bear, gotta be nice in the winter

I didn't choose huskies as such. I had a border collie cross who is 1/4 sibe. I joined on here as I had a keen interest in huskies and did intend on getting one 'in the future' another member (who I haven't seen on here in a very long time) was rehoming Aya and I took her on. I'm so glad I did she's an amazing dog and although I have a very deep bond with Yuri, he was never a very affectionate dog, Aya however is and has quickly wormed her way into my heart.

I went about huskies the wrong way aswell really.

I saw an advert for Indie, she was last one from a litter of 7 and came with all her papers. I just saw a fluffy white puppy and went and got her! I found this site days after, and my goodness am I grateful for that, she's a little terror!

Oshy was saved from a crummy previous home. (I think Oshy was sent specially for me! He is my baby boy bear!) I had been searching for an older husky anyway as company and a trekking partner for Indie. I wouldn't ever be parted with him now!

I wanted a husky since I was four, but certain reasons stopped me from getting one until I was 22. Which was great timing. I was finally able to get one for the same reason as you. I had to drop out of hish school because i developed a fear of people I didn't know. Which really sucked because I loved learning. Because of my anxiety and fear, every single sickness that anyone brought to school, I would get it for many weeks at a time.

After that I never went anywhere except the store, at 3 in the morning. I became addicted to an online game because I craved human interaction but was afraid. Online it was much less scary.

It was getting so bad that my mom wanted me to see a therapist. I agreed cause I had my own reasons on top of it all.

After going for about a year, from the way I talked about animals it became obvious that a dog could certainly help. My therapist wrote a note saying that circumstances permitting, I NEEDED a dog. So I went home and sat down next to my mom with a big grin on my face. She asked what I wanted. At first I tested her saying I wanted another cat. She was silent for a minute and then said ok, as I was preparring to show her the note. My mouth dropped open. Then I asked "what about a dog?"

Not even a second later she said ok. I asked her why and she said cause my baby boy cat Sohma was getting older, and because she also thought it would be good for me. Went on the computer and re-researched siberian husky. Told my mom about them and she said yes. Then I went on youtube and started watching husky videos. Found a breeder and about a month later I had Kissuna. :)

My therapist said I couldn't have chosn a better breed because of how beautiful they were I would be getting comments all the time. And she was completely right! When Kissuna is around I'm not as afraid of people and even feel compelled to educate them on the breed.

Sorry that was so long. Cookies! :cookies:

Well, like several here have said, my Husky came into my life for all the wrong reasons ...

For several years I've tended to keep two dogs around, one is my companion dog - my traveler / camper and the other is my stay at home watch dog (though if I'm going camping where I'll be gone for more than a few days they both would go with me). My companion had been a mixed breed Spaniel and at 13 she took a walk on me and never came back (damnit!) So after a couple of months of looking I headed up to the local "shelter" to see what they had available. Misty immediately stood out (being a husky in a den of pits and mixed breeds, she would anyway) for being quiet and just watching me. She had 3 more days worth of waiting for the owner to claim her so I took that opportunity to introduce her and my (14 yr old) lab, all went well so when her time came I brought her home. I'll admit that there have been a few times I'd have given her to anyone who asked (not in your wildest dreams!). That was 3 years ago now and she's gotten to be like almost all my other friends-in-fur - laid back, easy going and generally really good company!

I got a husky because they have been my favorite dog since forever! I love their quirky personalities, their energy, speed and independence. Their coats are so soft! and ofc they are beautiful, just stunning and they look like wolves which are my favorite animal which is an added bonus ^.^ I didnt just want a regular dog I wanted a husky :P For the last 4 years I had been looking into getting one I was not going to get one until I was living somewhere stable. After searching everywhere for the right breeder in that 4 year period I finally found one...wasnt very close but her dogs were amazing. I never got to meet Marius before I got him :P but my breeder has a website where she updates every litter with new pictures so I got to watch him grow up that way. I was on the waiting list for pretty much that 4 years as well :P I kinda changed my color choice alot but in the last couple of years I decided I wanted a red female with blue eyes so I was on the waiting list for that and when her amazing Willow (red phase agouti female) was going to have her very first litter I was alll over that :P There was also a guy on the waiting list for a red male >.<. Willow had only 3 puppies (as it was her first litter) a silver and white male....an agouti and white male and a red male :P So she had all boys...damn lol then the male was for the man who was on the waiting list for a red male. I had 2 choices... as much as I love agouti the silver boy was so beautiful! So I chose him :) I didnt care what color of eyes he was going to have but I was hoping for those stunning blue eyes and waiting to see what eye color he would end up with was pretty exciting. When it finally came time for him to be shipped to me I had to drive 4 hours down to Vancouver. He would arrive at 7 and the cargo place would close at 8 >.< I would have to go to cargo and get all the papers then go to customs and have them check everything out and then go back to cargo...now cargo was only a 5 min drive from the airport where customs was but we had maybe 10 mins remaining by the time we were finished at customs. When the guy at cargo brought him out in his crate I was so excited and I leaned over and looked in the crate to be greeted by these amazing blue eyes! They took my breath away I never expected them to be so blue! And he seemed so tiny. Totally fell in love with him all over again :P He sat in my lap the whole 4 hour drive home and was a little ball of energy when we finally got home :D Annnnd I just realized how long that was...ha sorry :rolleyes:

I start "falling in love"...:P with husky when i saw a movie about them...But... it's not their wolf appearance, blue eyes-bi-eyes, etc...etc...that make me interested to know more about them. It's when they're pulling a sled...I mean...Wow...:jawdrop:...idk how to put it...:P it's "amaze" me somehow:eek:...to pull the sled they have to put a harness on them of course:rolleyes:...but somehow...u can look in their eyes...the free spirit of a husky is blasting out, so powerful...they just like running freely in the snow...It's like Freedom !!!!!....(i'm not so good at describing department, sorry...:D)...so I got Raven in 2009...He is 1 1/2 years old now, still have a "wish" that someday i could doing the "mushing" thing with him (which is impossible here in Indo...:()...When they pulling a sled with full speed it's like the happiest day in their live...that's why i want him to have that experience although it's just for one time only...:) Hhhhh...sorry, Raven...:oops:

My then-12 year old son begged us for two years to allow him to have a Sibe. His dad and I resisted because we didn't think our lifestyle would suit a puppy, any puppy--long hours away from home, etc.

I lost my battle with my legs and had to leave work. For months I was totally depressed. Then my son begged his dad again for a puppy, and because I'm home all day our lifestyle seemed much more suitable for a puppy.

Sarah was my son's Christmas present. We picked her up from the breeder in early December of last year. That's when I found out that Siberians are by far the best shrinks on the planet! She keeps me occupied, she keeps me company, and she keeps me sane--all for a lot less per hour than the two-legged shrinks. For my part, I keep her protected, healthy, and happy.

My son still loves his puppy but in reality, she is my dog and I can't imagine life without her.

I saw two huskies at the covered bridge festival in Indiana years and years ago. I thought they were very majestic looking and I was so in awe of the way they were just standing their next to their owner, calm as can be when there was so much chaos going on around them. I went out and bought a book on the breed...didn't have a computer to look things up back then, and pretty much dreamed about them until I had bought my first house and was able to take one on. I got Dakota one year and two months after I bought my house. I'm not ususally a patient person so it was really hard to do the right thing and not get one before the timing was right.

Well I always loved dogs huskys and gsd I grow up with gsd so I was happy lol when my dad moved in when I was 8 he didn't like dogs so we couldn't have one well that hurt as since I was a baby I had a dog then when I was 12 my dad asked what I wanted for my birthday I said a dog I had everything but really wanted a dog so he agreed we then got tia are gsd well he fell in love with her and she left a print in his heart my baby girl well when we got her me and mum couldn't agree on a breed so we was going to get 2 but tia wasn't keen on dogs well she hated dogs shall I say lol well when I was 17 my dad moved out we talked about getting a pup we was going to get one when I was 15 but it fell through we did loads of research and decided we would wait and then when dad left mum was sad so in october I asked her what she wanted for x mas and she said a dog I said ok well she wanted a yappy dog I was like hell no its ever a gsd or a husky well after doing some research for breeders I emailed them and someone told me they had one who was 12 weeks as she got him off a friend and he was going to be a show dog which meant he couldn't be neutered well he was related to one of her females so the she was taking him back to the friend but if I got in touch with her I could have him well the breeder said yes and we got ice a big fluffy monster he was crate trained already within a week he could do tricks and was fully house trained he only chewed on some shoes and my sisters moblie he was nothing like I expected lol well then I got my other guys pmsl

Well I always loved dogs huskys and gsd I grow up with gsd so I was happy lol when my dad moved in when I was 8 he didn't like dogs so we couldn't have one well that hurt as since I was a baby I had a dog then when I was 12 my dad asked what I wanted for my birthday I said a dog I had everything but really wanted a dog so he agreed we then got tia are gsd well he fell in love with her and she left a print in his heart my baby girl well when we got her me and mum couldn't agree on a breed so we was going to get 2 but tia wasn't keen on dogs well she hated dogs shall I say lol well when I was 17 my dad moved out we talked about getting a pup we was going to get one when I was 15 but it fell through we did loads of research and decided we would wait and then when dad left mum was sad so in october I asked her what she wanted for x mas and she said a dog I said ok well she wanted a yappy dog I was like hell no its ever a gsd or a husky well after doing some research for breeders I emailed them and someone told me they had one who was 12 weeks as she got him off a friend and he was going to be a show dog which meant he couldn't be neutered well he was related to one of her females so the she was taking him back to the friend but if I got in touch with her I could have him well the breeder said yes and we got ice a big fluffy monster he was crate trained already within a week he could do tricks and was fully house trained he only chewed on some shoes and my sisters moblie he was nothing like I expected lol well then I got my other guys pmsl

My Husband had always wanted one. I did the research and thought "oh god i cant do all that hard work and have two kids to look after" I thought he would be too much hard work. So one day I was looking on the friday ads website for dolly clothes for my daughter and I saw this advert for husky pups, turned out to be husky x gsd but we fellin love with him when we saw him. There was another i wanted originally but he was very still and not as friendly, Storm however was very forward and friendly and loving. We decided there and then and had to wait a few weeks to get him, worst few weeks of my life!!!!!

Now we have two!!! And it was me that pushed for the 2nd too!!!! I think my hubby is secretly annoyed as he has well and truely converted me into huskydom and its his fault!!!!!:evil: now for my third i would like................................................. :rofl: no not yet, want to foster for a while i think.

Don't think Ive actually told anyone on here how we got Millie...

Me and my OH had briefly discussed buying a dog but didn't really decide on anything - I went on holiday with my family and when I came back he had bought Millie! A friend of a friend (of a friend I think lol) couldn't cope with her anymore and decided to 'get rid' so Nick decided that we would give her a home. We didn't know anything about huskies and have had to learn everything and adjust our lives to fit in with her - as far as we're concerned we are responsible for her for the rest of her life no matter what issues arise. It's been hard (especially due to how our relationship has been in recent months) and we're still working on it but hopefully we have made her a forever home she will be happy in :)

So since im getting a Pup soon i was just wondering why you guys chose Huskies over other breeds?

I chose a Husky because ive wanted a Husky since i was 6 and because i have very very bad confidence issues when it comes to talking to people and meeting new people so i thought a beautiful breed like a Husky could help me get out and about and help me.

What about you guys?

I felt like this for a long time, I am (believe it or not) very awkward around newpeople, I can never think of what to say, I Still find it hard making eye contact with people that I havent known for a very long time.

Kita has helped wonders for my confidence and social ability, I have many more friends now ^_^ and I find it easier to talk to, especially when with Kita :D.

But I've always loved wildlife and wild animals from a very young age, If I remember correctly I found out about huskies when I was 5-7ish and when I was that young I loved the Idea of having a dog that very closely ressembled a wild animal (the wolf) I really pestered my parents to get one when I was 13, but they said no, because I wasn't responsible enough.....and they were right.

As I reached 18 I started to think I was responsilbe enough to get one, So I started looking again, read alot about huskies and watched videos, spoke to owners, and just fell in love with the breed, their personalities, what you can do with them, they're looks still etc, So I just had to have one! and low and behold on my 20th bday I got Kita :D

We'd just lost our little dog after 15 years and the kids where all growing up so fast, i heard myself saying no to another dog... After 6 months I began to miss the welcome when you come home and the fact you have to get off your backside to take them for a walk. My husband had said 25 years ago about getting a husky, but at the time I thought he meant a Akita and didn't like them so we got a German Shepherd instead :). When my daughter once again mentioned about getting a husky, and she said she had done her research... we agreed... would never look back :D