10wk old puppy with too much attitude!

not sure what to do here...my neighbour says to hold him down by the scruff of his neck untill he stays there calmly while i count to 10. But i dunno...

I'm not really sure how to describe what it is that he does other than to say he has too much attitude. He is very vocal and occasionally growls at me... I don't remember my other pups being like this. I mean they would bark and growl while playing. but he does it when he is not happy with me like when he wants food, or if i remove him from a fun situation or take a dangerous"toy" away from him, what is the right response to this behavior?

Other than that he's a really great little guy!(i'm mostly super glad he doens't pee when he is excited...i don't think Normal is ever going to outgrow that. I think she just has very little control over her bladder but thats another topic)

What I'm hearing you say is that you have a *very* demanding dog - who at 10 weeks (10 weeks!!??) has determined that he can be in control.

I've seen the results of "holding them down" - all you end up with is an excited, angry dog and probably a few scratch marks.

If he's not physically engaging you when he's growling, etc. my response would be to ignore him. He growls when he wants food? tough, cop the attitude and you'll get fed. If he just growls when you take something away from him, tough. Ignore him until he get's his attitude right.

You seem to have given him the opinion that you'll do what he wants (( okay, I Know how that works too :) )) you're now going to have to let him know who really is in charge. If he does good, then by all means praise and reward him; if not then play "Dog, what dog?" with him (( if I have to draw a picture - ignore him! ))

If he is doing more than making noises the it's time to get some of the real experts here to chime in (( they already know what I'd suggest and it's not approved of :) ))

You're going to have to be really firm - I've pinned puppies (gently, yes, but firmly!) who were a bit too full of themselves with some success, but you have to show the right attitude, yourself. Mostly letting him know in a no-nonsense but not angry way that YOU are now Mom, and he has to listen to you and do what you say, and you don't intend to take any crap from him! Simply that you are in charge.

Try using the "Nothing in life is free" ideas - here's a web page to get you started, if you aren't familiar with it - there are tons of pages on the method... http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nothingfree.htm It makes him earn what he gets - you don't pet him unless he does something to deserve it (sits, maybe). He doesn't get to eat - unless you specifically give it to him, and he needs to earn it. Once again, you are in charge, and ALL good things come from you! Good luck!

please don't do any of these alpha rolls/pinning of your puppy!! it is a very archaic and dangerous training style and only leads to a scared confused dog that only learns you are unpredictable, aggressive and cant be trusted. not the basis of a good life long relationship. please enrol him onto a puppy training class where you can learn to train him kindly and gently using rewards and most importantly how to make it fun for both of you. The NILF programme is a good place to start until you can get him to a class. you can teach him you are in charge with kind reward based methods without being an aggressive bully.

good luck!

yup...Raven got that too much attitude too when he was a pup...but never growl though...if I said no to something that he was doing...he'll jump and nip...sometimes nonstop...I've tried what sutsibe described...it doesn't work for Raven...again every dog is an individual...for some dog it might work...I do the pinning thing when we engage in a play mode...not when Raven acting up...cause the pinning thing make him more 'acted up'. When Raven do the jump and nip thing and then I do the alpha roll or pinning him...he settles down even licked my hand than I release him...I guess if it worked after I release him he should be just walk away, right...Raven doesn't...as soon I release him... he start all over again with the jump and nipping...I just put on a leash or grab his collar gently though if i want to remove him from his digging site-couch-etc...As for toys...since he was a pup I teach him not being possessive by playing tug of war with all his toys then I said to him "give" so I'm the last whose holding the toys after doing that then I give the toys for him to play or chew so he knows that all of them R belong to me...so no problem with Raven when I want to remove him from his toys. The only problem i had with him when he growl and almost snap when I gave him Rawhide bone that I bought from petstore...big mistake...:P When I said "ok that's enough for today" cause his sensitive tum...he immediately grab the rawhide bring it to the corner & start the growling thing...if a dog growl...try not to back down or he will used it in any situation cause he'll thinks "oh, it work"..I just calmly walked to him...& said "give"...it doesn't worked though obviously...:rolleyes: He love it so much...so I grab his chunk (like his mother do)... he'll drop the rawhide then i removed it from him...I'm not an expert it's just base on the experience that I have with Raven...so...hope it'll help...and other member might give u a better solution...good luck...:)

hehe dont worry mines is like this too , she's like a child answering me back when i tell her off ect and doesnt like it when she doesnt get her way , think its just her comunicating with me in a vocal way as huskys do :) , she only growls when i pick her up as she hates this but doesnt snap or anything she did at the start but got over this :) if i tell her no she sits and answers back , usually leadin to me talking back and its like a proper arguement haha !

please don't do any of these alpha rolls/pinning of your puppy!! it is a very archaic and dangerous training style and only leads to a scared confused dog that only learns you are unpredictable, aggressive and cant be trusted. not the basis of a good life long relationship. please enrol him onto a puppy training class where you can learn to train him kindly and gently using rewards and most importantly how to make it fun for both of you. The NILF programme is a good place to start until you can get him to a class. you can teach him you are in charge with kind reward based methods without being an aggressive bully.

good luck!

I respectfully beg to differ! Have you ever watched a bitch with her puppies? I have - multiple times - and when momma dog has had enough, she lets the kids know in no uncertain terms that he's out of line! She then gives him her equivalent of hugs and kisses, and all's forgiven. I have (gently) rolled puppies, and can honestly say that all of my dogs (and the puppies I have placed) don't think that I'm unpredictable or aggressive - and they all trust me completely! I have 13 Siberians, have had Siberians for over 25 years, and haven't ever had one consider me to be a bully for more than about 30 seconds straight (the 30 seconds where they didn't get their way)!

Have you taken him to puppy training classes? I think it's time you start....you'll not only learn a lot but you'll bond with him more.

nice idea, but no-can-do! I live in a remote community..the vet is 4 hours away. no such thing as puppy classes in these parts! I do have 3 females that gets to socialize with. (But you try being the only boy with 3 sisters! lol jk. )

Pinning him does work sometimes, but it is tricky to get the timeing right on it. But i know when my response to him is immediate he gets it right away.

could it not just be the husky speak???

bella complains when she is not happy with something lol a bath or dinner is late but doesnt mean she is being agressive ect i just ignore it and she stops

I have 3 other huskies 2 of them i raised from pups i know what husky speak is. and he does that some times, but other times he is down right trying to be the boss...

He is good at sitting and waiting for his food until i say "okay". but while i'm dishing it up he is jumping and danceing and whining and screaching.

I'm sure it's just going to take for patiences and more firmness on my part... *sigh* i love dogs, but puppies can drive me nuts!! :P I guess I'm just readjusting back to dealing with a puppy again.