She lets me get hit D:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay well some of you have some issues. It doesn't take any 'special' knowledge or training to train a dog. I had literally zero knowledge of dog training when I got Selene. She sits, shakes, comes, walks beside me off leash, knows when it's okay to jump in the creek, knows how to try to break my ankle by digging large holes in the yard in parts of the grass that grow over it >.>...But regardless a dog DOES instinctively protect it's owner if they are close. To say otherwise is nonesense. There are circumstances where a dog may not protect it's owner if it's not introduced to a situation where it would require protecting. It's not nice to pretend to know everything and assume anything about a breed. A breed as a generalization may not be protective but individual dogs in the breed can be. Just because most huskies don't protect their owners doesn't make the rest exempt from at least being trained. Guard dog or not it depends solely on the individual dogs personality. Selene may pick up on learning to attack she may not. She is being raised around German Shepards, Rotties, Malamois, and pitbulls. All of which ARE excellent guard dogs, you're telling me that she isn't going to pick up off their protectiveness? In a realistic situation where a dog bites a human in protection of it's owner when the owner is threatened, the dog is properly vaccinated. Risk of being put to sleep is extremely low. Don't categorie Selene into the 'fighting' dog category. My purpose in training her is for her to learn when is it and isn't right for her to attack. Shouldn't that be part of any dogs training? Jeez I asked for SUGGESTIONS not to be put down, criticized and badgered. Thank you for considering my age into this, considering age does not relate to maturity. I hope my post was at least enlightening and ceases some of the narrow minded-ness of the situation.

Firslty yes apparently your age does relate to your maturity... as clearly you are not.

Secondly why on earth did you pick a husky if you wanted a guard dog? why not get a GSD a malinois etc?

thirdly how about you man up and protect yourself instead of getting a dog to do it for you?

I'll just add its "training" like this that cause unprovoked attacks on humans, the dog hasn't done anything wrong, it just think its protecting its owner, its this kind of thing that cause dogs to injure children or worse...

I mean are you really in that much danger you desperatley need a guard dog?... I doubt it highly

. She is being raised around German Shepards, Rotties, Malamois, and pitbulls. All of which ARE excellent guard dogs,

Sorry if this comes across as harsh but I think you need to do more research especially about pit bulls. Pit bull is an umbrella term used to categorize certian types of dogs and includes breeds such as American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, American Bullies and sometimes a few other breeds. Pit Bulls when bred PROPERLY are to have ZERO human aggression. This comes from their history as fighting dogs, while sad it is true. Dogmen who fought Pit Bulls would not tolerate any dog that showed human aggression. Any dog displaying human aggression was culled/killed and never used for breeding. Pit Bulls would have to be handled mid fight in the ring by the handlers. Because they were handled mid fight they again were bred to have ZERO human aggression. They were often kept in the house with the family and kids. They were once known as America's dog and nanny dogs because of there people loving non-human aggressive temperaments. Again while dog fighting is a horrible, cruel bloodsport it is why Pit Bulls have the temperaments they do. True there are some human aggressive Pit Bulls out there but this comes from poor breeding, and irresponsible owners. Most street level dog fighters will breed and train a Pit Bull to attack anything that moves and many will cross breed them with other breeds to get the biggest baddest Pit on the block. This is not the correct temperament for Pit Bulls. Some of these poorly bred Pit Bulls can also end up in the hands of the general public so yes I know not all human aggressive Pit Bulls have been used for fighting but most will be poorly bred. Pit Bulls make horrible guard dogs because when bred properly they are a very people loving breed and again should have ZERO human aggression and are not protective since they are people oriented dogs. Irresponsible Pit Bull ownership and breeding is destroying Pit Bulls. Believe me or don't that is your decision but as a breed advocate and responsible owner of an American Pit Bull Terrier I have done extensive research on Pit Bulls, I am an admin on a Pit Bull website, and have written numerous articles concerning Pit Bulls.

Okay well some of you have some issues. It doesn't take any 'special' knowledge or training to train a dog. I had literally zero knowledge of dog training when I got Selene. She sits, shakes, comes, walks beside me off leash, knows when it's okay to jump in the creek, knows how to try to break my ankle by digging large holes in the yard in parts of the grass that grow over it

There is a HUGE difference between teaching basic pet obedience and training a dog in personal protection work. That you don't know that speaks volumes.

>.>...But regardless a dog DOES instinctively protect it's owner if they are close. To say otherwise is nonesense.

To say that all dogs instinctively protect their owners IS nonsense. Even dogs who appear to protect their owners (they would be protecting themselves or being possessive of the owner, not the same thing) 99% of them will not have the ability to follow through if the threat doesn't back down. You only have to look at how many dogs bred specifically for police work don't make the grade to see that very few dogs have the temperament, drive and nerve to do this kind of work.

A breed as a generalization may not be protective but individual dogs in the breed can be. Just because most huskies don't protect their owners doesn't make the rest exempt from at least being trained.

And being 17 years of age I assume you've had a lot of experience in training personal protection dogs?

Guard dog or not it depends solely on the individual dogs personality. Selene may pick up on learning to attack she may not.

It absolutely terrifies me to think of you trying to train your dog to attack people.

She is being raised around German Shepards, Rotties, Malamois, and pitbulls. All of which ARE excellent guard dogs, you're telling me that she isn't going to pick up off their protectiveness?

I think you mean Malinois, not malamois.

A properly trained PP dog does not work because of some "instinctive protectiveness". It takes years to train a good PP dog and the dog must first have the temperament, drive and nerves to be able to do the training in the first place.

In a realistic situation where a dog bites ahuman in protection of it's owner when the owner is threatened, the dog is properly vaccinated. Risk of being put to sleep is extremely low. Don't categorie Selene into the 'fighting' dog category.

Don't all PP and guard dogs have specific restrictions in the UK? They do in Australia. They have to be housed in a secure pen when not working and also must be muzzled in public and aren't allowed to be walked by anyone under the age of 18. If you are training dog to do personal protection you'd have to abide by the same rules.

My purpose in training her is for her to learn when is it and isn't right for her to attack. Shouldn't that be part of any dogs training?

No-one should EVER teach their dog that it is "ok" to attack a person, unless you are a qualified and experienced trainer training a PP dog or police service dog.

no age doesnt mean anythin im only 20 but i see alot of young people with breeds acting "hard" trying to get them to be agressive , why do u want ur dog to protect u so much? why should this be her job? if u have all those guard dogs why try and brainwash her ... say u get what u wish and your out with her and all of a sudden she attacks and has to get put down for attacking a memeber of public this is not the dog for what u want ! cant u see shes not showing any signs as to wanting to be protective?

I'm 20 as well and I think it is a case of what you said in the 1st sentence.

also it might not be that she's a husky that she's not showing signs of wanting to be protective, it might be cause the owner isn't worth protecting ;)

I'm 20 as well and I think it is a case of what you said in the 1st sentence.

also it might not be that she's a husky that she's not showing signs of wanting to be protective, it might be cause the owner isn't worth protecting ;)

haha very true !! , i dont get why people have to change an image of a perfect dog! they may look like a wolf and look mean but cmon eh there just big softies! breaks my heart to see silly lil people ruin a breed ..

Bill, it's not narrow mindedness to take our collective centuries of knowledge of the breed and say that it's unlikely you will successfully be able to train a husky to be a protective dog.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you also say:

But regardless a dog DOES instinctively protect it's owner if they are close. To say otherwise is nonesense.
Where you're speaking in absolutes. The best we, or anyone, can do is generalize when we're speaking about "the breed". Might you be able to train her to be an attack dog - you might, the odds are slim but you might.

On one hand you say:

Considering she's the first dog I've ever had I'm not sure how to go about training her..She's gotten more protective in the past few months. She will be a year old on the 23rd..But doesn't hurt to ask :)
It also doesn't hurt to listen, even when the opinions being expressed don't agree with yours.

On the other hand you say:

Selene may pick up on learning to attack she may not. She is being raised around German Shepards, Rotties, Malamois, and pitbulls. All of which ARE excellent guard dogs, you're telling me that she isn't going to pick up off their protectiveness?
I agree, she might and then again she might not learn to attack. She might and might not pick p some of their traits.

In general, Sibes are not only not protective, they're so friendly that they'll (as Nix said) happily walk the thief through the house. Sibes were raised and bred to be a work dog, living within the family circle of their owners during the winter - literally in the same tent <?> with them, aggressive behaviour would has been culled out of the breed, to try to instill that in your dog is probably going to be counter productive.

That you have trained her in many of the trick that make for a good relationship with your dog speaks well of the time you've spent with her.

Think on what you're asking her to be and to do, would you please.

haha very true !! , i dont get why people have to change an image of a perfect dog! they may look like a wolf and look mean but cmon eh there just big softies! breaks my heart to see silly lil people ruin a breed ..

indeed :)

William, I';ve thought of a good reason and being the type of person u seem to be, this may appeal to your kind of reasoning...

If your husky does attack someone, probably unprovoked (cause I highly doubt, you have the same training capabilities as an experienced police dog handler, not only is the dog likely to get PTS (which should be the biggest issue on your mind) but you will get sued for thousands of dollars and it will have to come out of your pocket as theres no way ud get insurance for this kind of thing

Are you aware of the time/money/patience/knowledge/training that goes into creating a person protection dog? This is not like teaching the dog to sit. It's hours upon hours of drills and training that are worked with day after day in a controlled environment... many dogs do NOT make it through the entire training period!

Training a dog to bite when it "thinks" you are in danger is a serious thing to undertake, and as such should NOT be done unless you are directly under a trainer who has worked and produced SOUND and STABLE personal protection dogs! You do not want your ordinary house pet to be deciding left and right what is acceptable and what they must attack, especially when it comes down to a human!

Look, i've grown up with GSD's and Malinois. Our old Malinois was a retired Miami-Dade K9 officer. I know what goes into creating and shaping that type of dog, and I know the risks you take everyday owning such a dog. What you are doing is dangerous. You have NO knowledge of how to go about training this dog properly in this area. PLEASE. Contact a professional training with skill and experience in this line of training! This isn't something you look up on the internet and can apply to your dog.

I encourage all my dogs to bark when someone walks by the house, or a strange car is outside, or when the door bell rings. A Husky will pick up on that. But to be setting up mock "attacks" with your friends and trying to teach the dog to either "get it" or not is silly and dangerous.

I feel quite sorry for Selene:(, why would you want to learn her when to attack or protect you,no wonder she is running around in circles when you and your playmate are playfighting to get a reaction from her she is confused its not in her nature to attack !!

William good luck on training your husky. My husky is only 6 months old and Im only 21 but I would never teach a dog that it is okay to attack. Age has nothing to do with everybody telling you dont expect much from Selena. And please dont punish her if she doesnt become a "protective" dog.

Look, i've grown up with GSD's and Malinois. Our old Malinois was a retired Miami-Dade K9 officer

Ahhhh thats just amazing! also when you said miami-dade, instantly thought of CSI:Miami ;)

But yeah I went to the national police dog trials held in suffolk, it was incredible to see! Though even though a solid 2 years of constant and incredibly expert training had gone into this one GSD, it had to forfeit mid-trial because it would not follow the release command, they had to take the training jacket off the assailant at one point :shocked:

So as you can see even after 2 years of constant expert training from someone with decades of experience, the dogs will not always follow your commands...

i wonder if the US has already started the summer holidays? Dont feed it guys, let it go back under the bridge.... ;)

See I thought this at first, but I've seen an aweful lot of trolls in my time, but this ones behavior is different, mayb a more subtle troll.... or it could be serious..

not_sure_if_trolling.jpg

Wow this is being grossly put out of proportion. Yet you fail to understand that will attack training comes an understanding of when to, and how to attack. Use you're common sense, if I train my dog to attack then she is to attack under command. At least that's part of obedience that's being preached here isn't it? My dog is very obedient which is why I trust her to listen off leash, just as she trusts me to train her and help her understand that in a situation where there is danger to her owner. Me. That it is okay to attack. A properly trained dog wouldn't attack unless commanded but in extenuating circumstances where the dog feels the owner is threatened they may act on their own accordingly. Which a 'properly' trained dog will listen to the command not to attack. Otherwise there is a situation in where the dog believes the owner is in life threatening danger and needs protecting and won't stop till the danger passes. If a dog attacks a child you have a problem. Selenes been raised around children and doesn't even care they exist. Now, quit with your snide remarks about my age, and feeling sorry for my dog that I want to TRAIN and TEACH her. IT's not my problem that you guys won't/refuse-to accept the possibility of attack training a husky. It is possible. It's been done before. I was asking for help. I'm not going to listen to "You can't do that years of genetics forbid it and thats just wrong" ect..ect..If you have nothing to contribute to this post besides say I CAN'T then I ask you to kindly just click the X button on your tab. I am not trolling I was genuinly asking for advice but it seems I'm met with strife instead. As for 'learning' about the breed, I've done a lot of research on huskies and malamutes before I even though of wanting one. I do know that they are not well known for being attack/guard dogs. I'm perfectly fine with that if selene is unwilling to learn or just doesn't get the hang of it. If the training fails it fails. I ask you to go look at dogs who aren't trained to attack or aren't introduced to that environment then suddenly attack a child or another person for no reason. Stop saying 'shes gonna get put to sleep if she bites someone' Dog bite laws are different in Ohio, US. Where I live. Then where you are, most likely judging by your issues with dogs biting. In the least I'm offering methods of venting by having her trained to attack. Jeez people..

sorry you feel that way william, this forum is full of some of the most understanding and helpful i know, we are a friendly forum, i have been here for many years , since i had my first two sibes and then my third. i have always found the advice on here highly valuable and have learnt that if a question is asked, sometimes you will get variying opinions as like you say each sibe is different , but when you ask a question and 100% of the answers are the same its because the people on here .some who have great experience of owning sibes ,know what the dog as a breed is like

i personally would never dream of training my three to attack , even if on command. i have 3 kids who punch ten bells out of each other , n the dogs just sit and watch . they have been trained not to get excited and to be honest they wernt really bothered in the first place.

i really hope you listen to the advice given to you.