She lets me get hit D:

>.> I have my friend mess around with me to try an get a rise out of Selene..so far she just runs in around me in circles. She's also horrible differentiating between 'watch' and 'get it' since she wants to get what shes watching..I mean granted someone comes over that isn't here often she starts barking or when she hears loud noises from downstairs.

Considering she's the first dog I've ever had I'm not sure how to go about training her..She's gotten more protective in the past few months. She will be a year old on the 23rd..But doesn't hurt to ask :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with what the others have said. Sibes are not guard dogs, very friendly with people and typically not protective. In my opinion you shouldn't try to train a dog, especially one not bred to guard, to be protective. While it sounds good in theory to have a protective dog it can end in accidents/incidents which can be disasters, this could include hospital bills, law suites and even in a dog being PTS. I also feel breeds that are bred to guard need special owners who understand the breed and will do the proper training and socialization. Even breeds bred to guard need to be socialized.

Generally dogs protect their owners guard dogs or not. I'm trying to encourage her to be protective.

not huskies they are not 'one people dogs' and love EVERY1 so are generally NOT protective - what if ur encouragement to be protective makes her bite sum1 - and then she ends up pts

not huskies they are not 'one people dogs' and love EVERY1 so are generally NOT protective - what if ur encouragement to be protective makes her bite sum1 - and then she ends up pts

:ditto:

I feel it is a misconception to generalize that dogs will protect their owners. Some will and some wont, some breeds are more protective while others aren't. Sibes are one of the breeds that typically aren't protective and encouraging such can lead to problems in the end. Could turn into over protection and if she did bite someone, weather she was protecting you or not, there is a very good chance she will be PTS.

Again even with protective breeds they still need the correct socialization and training or disaster is very likely to occur.

I agree, sibes arn't naturally protective at all. They love everyone and would quite happily run off with the theif that just stole your diamond ring.

i like the saying that most dogs will protect ur home from a burgaler - but a sibe will let them in and show them where all the best stuff is LOL

i like the saying that most dogs will protect ur home from a burgaler - but a sibe will let them in and show them where all the best stuff is LOL

It's true, I actually did get assulted while I was with Yuri... he didn't even growl at the (insert choice cuss word) guy and Yuri is just as much GSD as he is Sibe :rolleyes:

I know he's not full sibe, but Aya is the same.

Polee is an exception to the general rule about sibes in that she's protective of her grandma but nobody else. I haven't trained her to be like this she just is protective of her Grandma particularly when it's just the two of them in the house. She will bark and growl at anyone who comes to the door until my mum says it's ok then she stops.

Generally dogs protect their owners guard dogs or not. I'm trying to encourage her to be protective.

That is a load of crap!

A dog has to be trained in personal protection for you to be able to rely on their ability to take action when you are threatened. It is NOT a natural instinct to protect the owner. Research proves that when the owner is attacked a dog is most likely to run around barking OR attack THE OWNER.

It concerns me incredibly not only that you think you are capable of training your dog to "get" people but that you are encouraging her to bite someone in the first place.

Why would you EVER want to encourage your dog to bite someone? There is nothing more dangerous than a dog that exhibits aggression when it decides it is appropriate. It takes years and a lot of knowledge to train a PP dog and you need a dog with very specific levels of drive and solid nerve, which Siberians will not have.

I know I probably sound harsh but this thread horrifies me.

i wouldnt want my sibes to protect me...

echo my gsd is my protector but its in her breed and she is a very loyal dog...

even so she has never bitten anyone and i wont teach her to 'get' anyone because that to me is a dangerous thing to have in a dog

okai so i see your only 17 and need to learn , not all dogs are pretective , sibes are not guard dogs! i dont know why you would want this kind of behaviour in a dog specially a sibe , there is no guarentee she will attack you or anyone you love! please stop what your doing , dont be one of these people who have a dog for a label / fightin ...

Okay well some of you have some issues. It doesn't take any 'special' knowledge or training to train a dog. I had literally zero knowledge of dog training when I got Selene. She sits, shakes, comes, walks beside me off leash, knows when it's okay to jump in the creek, knows how to try to break my ankle by digging large holes in the yard in parts of the grass that grow over it >.>...But regardless a dog DOES instinctively protect it's owner if they are close. To say otherwise is nonesense. There are circumstances where a dog may not protect it's owner if it's not introduced to a situation where it would require protecting. It's not nice to pretend to know everything and assume anything about a breed. A breed as a generalization may not be protective but individual dogs in the breed can be. Just because most huskies don't protect their owners doesn't make the rest exempt from at least being trained. Guard dog or not it depends solely on the individual dogs personality. Selene may pick up on learning to attack she may not. She is being raised around German Shepards, Rotties, Malamois, and pitbulls. All of which ARE excellent guard dogs, you're telling me that she isn't going to pick up off their protectiveness? In a realistic situation where a dog bites a human in protection of it's owner when the owner is threatened, the dog is properly vaccinated. Risk of being put to sleep is extremely low. Don't categorie Selene into the 'fighting' dog category. My purpose in training her is for her to learn when is it and isn't right for her to attack. Shouldn't that be part of any dogs training? Jeez I asked for SUGGESTIONS not to be put down, criticized and badgered. Thank you for considering my age into this, considering age does not relate to maturity. I hope my post was at least enlightening and ceases some of the narrow minded-ness of the situation.

One question....why in gods name did you get a HUSKY ??? and in your intro post you said that

My names william, I don't really like dogs but I have a husky I named Selene. I love her a lot an not sure what I was doing before I got her but she means a lot to me an I like her more then I do most people.
but yet in your reply above you say she's being raised around different breeds?

A husky is known throughout the world as being stubborn they can listen to every command 99% of the time - that 1% they don't is what makes the difference - you honestly want to train a dog to attack that you haven't got full control over - you're going to get someone injured and your dog could get PTS as a result of your actions.

A husky is NOT a good guard dog and that is a FACT that has been proven for generations all over the world.

yes you say that we shouldn't judge a dog by it's breed but in this instance i really think we should

no age doesnt mean anythin im only 20 but i see alot of young people with breeds acting "hard" trying to get them to be agressive , why do u want ur dog to protect u so much? why should this be her job? if u have all those guard dogs why try and brainwash her ... say u get what u wish and your out with her and all of a sudden she attacks and has to get put down for attacking a memeber of public this is not the dog for what u want ! cant u see shes not showing any signs as to wanting to be protective?

i dont care how old you are

you seriously need to read and research this breed

training your dog in the correct manner is important,training her to attack as and when you want her to is disgusting!

i cant and wont say anymore about this i can see a long argument brewing

and i'm sorry but i doubt very much you will have anyone on your side from here!

go and do some thorough research of the breed,it hopefully will help you understand them

Okay well some of you have some issues. It doesn't take any 'special' knowledge or training to train a dog. I had literally zero knowledge of dog training when I got Selene. She sits, shakes, comes, walks beside me off leash, knows when it's okay to jump in the creek, knows how to try to break my ankle by digging large holes in the yard in parts of the grass that grow over it >.>...But regardless a dog DOES instinctively protect it's owner if they are close. To say otherwise is nonesense. There are circumstances where a dog may not protect it's owner if it's not introduced to a situation where it would require protecting. It's not nice to pretend to know everything and assume anything about a breed. A breed as a generalization may not be protective but individual dogs in the breed can be. Just because most huskies don't protect their owners doesn't make the rest exempt from at least being trained. Guard dog or not it depends solely on the individual dogs personality. Selene may pick up on learning to attack she may not. She is being raised around German Shepards, Rotties, Malamois, and pitbulls. All of which ARE excellent guard dogs, you're telling me that she isn't going to pick up off their protectiveness? In a realistic situation where a dog bites a human in protection of it's owner when the owner is threatened, the dog is properly vaccinated. Risk of being put to sleep is extremely low. Don't categorie Selene into the 'fighting' dog category. My purpose in training her is for her to learn when is it and isn't right for her to attack. Shouldn't that be part of any dogs training? Jeez I asked for SUGGESTIONS not to be put down, criticized and badgered. Thank you for considering my age into this, considering age does not relate to maturity. I hope my post was at least enlightening and ceases some of the narrow minded-ness of the situation.

Peoples posts here are based on experience. Some of which are from experience amounting to longer than you have been alive. Your post above is extremely patronising when you came to say you havent had much experience then have continued to tell people that they are wrong, no matter how much you are told otherwise. This is the largest community in the world to my knowledge that is specific to siberian huskies.

We are a friendly group of husky owners, and pratically everyone has told you that Siberian Huskies as a general rule will not guard as it is simply not in their nature. If you are as mature as you state ask yourself the following question. Which is more likley, that you with little experience are correct? Or that the 10 people who have replied to you with many many years of experience with the breeds general instincts are more likley to be correct?

The laws in the US differ from state to state, however the law in England is if a dog bites a human 9 times out of 10 it is put to sleep. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but the MAJORITY of huskies will not gaurd you at all. In my personal opinion it is my job to protect my dogs, it is unlikely that anyone will attack you if you have a dog with you and on the off chance they do, I'd much rather I got hurt than one of my dogs being put to sleep because they bit to protect me. My dogs are part of my family..

My 3 year old daughter got bit by a dog that was 'protecting it's owner' she did nothing! She was sat in her buggy and was just there and the dog decided to reach out and bite her. So I do have issues with people teaching their dog that it's ok to bite humans period. If it's my child that the persons dog bites I'll sue them! :mad: