Ryn at the vet hospital

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....thanks Gi for updating while I couldn't get on.

You KNOW you're welcome!

Darn protozoans! I hope it's just a protozoan, easily treated. Paws still crossed!

One of the drugs they're giving her, Metronidazole, is used to treat Giardia, so that should take care of it...

You KNOW you're welcome!

One of the drugs they're giving her, Metronidazole, is used to treat Giardia, so that should take care of it...

Hmmm, that's the same drug used to treat yeast infections in humans. Didn't know it had a veterinary use. Learn something new every day--hopefully!

Hmmm, that's the same drug used to treat yeast infections in humans. Didn't know it had a veterinary use. Learn something new every day--hopefully!

A lot of drugs used in veterinary medicine are "extra-label" use human drugs. It's cheaper and easier than doing all the clinical testing and proving again on dogs, when they usually have enough data to know how they work and what side-effects to expect.

Doc hasn't said it's giardia, but the friggin kitty cat was in with this for seven days..........if Ryn is hospitalized that long, I'm gonna need a husky fix and will have to sleep in Gi's kennel with her pack for a night just to catch up!

:doglaugh: And you think you'd actually be ABLE to sleep out there - that they'd LET you?!?! :rofl:

Ryn hasn't been sick/been incubating a bug as long as poor Kit likely was, so hopefully she'll recover faster. Doc also knows she was in the pond water, so may have started treating with an appropriate medication more quickly than he did with Kit, having to first figure out what was wrong with her!

Just got an update from the vet tech (bless her soul!)

Ryn is keeping down water and hasn't had a stool since her arrival. She was offered water and is doing well with that. The stool sample is still 'cooking', but will be done in a bit.

She's still resting.

Becky, I'm so sorry to hear about Ryn, sounds like she has turned the corner & is on the mend, but what an awful time for you both (especially Ryn wanting a drink & being told no, bless her). Gigi, thanks for updating us while Becky was unable to get on, you know how we worry about one of our own getting sick :(

Let's hope the "cooked stool" reveals exactly what it is & is easily treatable so Ryn can be back home soon, get well hugs winging their way to Ryn, xx

Vet just called.

Nothing in the stool sample to indicate what the problem is. She's had one bloody stool while there. The amount is concerning.With the amount of blood she's passing, it indicates that a large portion of her bowel is irritated. They don't think that she's eaten anything that would cause the problems (IE - plastic ball, pool filter (yes - she chewed one up yesterday), bone or anything like that). They are still leaning toward a bacteria of some sort and will continue to watch her tonight and see what happens.

Could also be related to her eating some almonds she discovered when my back was turned....

Will do blood work tomorrow morning. They are waiting to see if they have the diarrhea under control before they go further with that.

She is keeping the water down and is very alert as to what's going on around her, which they say is good. She has stopped vomiting.

Tressa (vet) advised me NOT to feed raw chicken anymore - seemed surprised that I feed that in addition to kibble - as she could get food poisoning from it. "A good dry food is sufficient. Most vets don't recommend it."

Vet just called.

Nothing in the stool sample to indicate what the problem is. She's had one bloody stool while there. The amount is concerning.With the amount of blood she's passing, it indicates that a large portion of her bowel is irritated. They don't think that she's eaten anything that would cause the problems (IE - plastic ball, pool filter (yes - she chewed one up yesterday), bone or anything like that). They are still leaning toward a bacteria of some sort and will continue to watch her tonight and see what happens.

Could also be related to her eating some almonds she discovered when my back was turned....

Will do blood work tomorrow morning. They are waiting to see if they have the diarrhea under control before they go further with that.

She is keeping the water down and is very alert as to what's going on around her, which they say is good. She has stopped vomiting.

Tressa (vet) advised me NOT to feed raw chicken anymore - seemed surprised that I feed that in addition to kibble - as she could get food poisoning from it. "A good dry food is sufficient. Most vets don't recommend it."

bless her glad to hear shes on the mend tho - make sure u keep us all update ok :) massive hugs to u and princess Ryn xxxx

There's a reason I just happen to "forget" to mention to them that I do give raw chicken!

I'll be subbing at the clinic tomorrow, so hope to have time to text Becky some updates, here and there...

Lordy be. Hope Ryn continues to improve. Saw this post while I was up in Wisconsin earlier today, on my phone. Zoya and Eisa are sending Husky Hugs as I type.