Ryn at the vet hospital

Admitted Ryn to the vet hospital this a.m. She's been off her food for several days. Thought it was a battle of wills as far as the chicken/kibble goes, but there was more to it.

Night before last, she began throwing up. Attributed this to stress from the heat. But, when I got home yesterday, I found that she had blood in her stool which, overnight, changed to basically just blood. Called the vet then and again at 1:30 this a.m. as it was continuing. He directed me to bring her in this morning.

She's at the hospital now, won't know more until later.

Am wondering if it has something to do with the pond that she was swimming in last week.........time will tell.

Send up your best wishes for her, she's a sick princess.:cry1:('n I'm a worried mum!)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the wishes. I'll let you guys know as soon as I know. Honestly don't expect to hear from the vet until late this afternoon or early evening (It's 9 a.m. here)

....so hard to see her so distressed. She wanted a drink so bad this a.m., even tried getting one from the toilet. I told her 'no' and she hung her head down and walked back to the kitchen. Then she decided that perhaps I didn't understand that she was thirsty, so she sat in front of the sink - "You don't understand, Mum, I'm thirsty." I explained that I did understand, but that she couldn't have a drink until she got to the vet. She was pretty upset that I didn't do as asked. Bless her little heart!

.........and thanks @sutsibe for listening to my paranoid phone call at midnight.........

Becky, well, I'm a late riser. You got all the best wishes from everyone else but I'll add mine anyway. Hope the vet can identify it and clear it up quickly. I hate knowing one of my dogs is sick 'cause as hard as I try I can't understand what they're telling me about it.

Fingers, toes and paws crossed that it's nothing too serious. //al

Just worried. First time she's ever gotten sick - guess she thinks if she's gonna do it, she may as well do it up good.

Hoping that some antibiotics and rest will get her back up to par in no time.

I trust my vet....hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Will update when I know something. Thanks for your wishes.......

.........and thanks @sutsibe for listening to my paranoid phone call at midnight.........

You know that isn't a problem!!! I knew how worried you were, and could hear in your voice as well how exhausted you were!

Just read your news, I do hope she gets well soon and it is nothing serious. It's good to hear that you have a good vet. my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Yes, he is a very good vet!

Update: I just talked to Becky, and she can't get on the computer at the moment, so asked me to give an update. She just talked to our vet, and they're giving poor Rynnie a drug called Cerenia to treat the vomiting, and Metronidazole for the diarrhea. They are thinking it was likely the pond water that was the culprit. If she picked up a parasite there, the Metronidazole should take care of it...

I wasn't overly concerned when I went over to check on her yesterday evening (around suppertime). Her Uncle Troop occasionally gets bloody diarrhea when he's stressed and misses a meal or two, and it usually is fairly easily resolved. I was concerned when Becky called later, though, and she was drinking lots of water and vomiting that up! When Doc wasn't overly concerned, though, I trust/trusted him enough to believe he knew what he was doing, and that she WOULD be ok - that she might need an IV to rehydrate her and some meds to calm things down, but nothing more. I'm guessing it's Giardia from the pond water she drank.

Ryn is resting now......Vet is leaning toward something from the pond water (we went swimming over the holiday weekend).

Again, thanks everyone for the good wishes. The princess (and I) appreciate them very much.

Will keep you updated as the day goes by..........thanks Gi for updating while I couldn't get on.