Husky pup :-/

Im not picking on anything Nix im not that type of person, if I have something to say I dont beat about the bush. I just say it. I just said what I saw thats all so ive no idea why you think im picking on you

:confused:

sorry had a bad day n hardly any sleep,, n im just getting annoyed that no matter what i seem to post lately people (not u , others) seem to contradict it like im chatting bubbles

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chloe , would just like to say listen very carefully to what the members here say as they have lots of experience and will only say things to help you make the right choice for you, your family and the dog.

My youngest son is also 13 and I have to say you sound a very mature girl for your age and very intelligent and I am sure you will do the very best you can for the dog you choose.

You sound a like you love animals and will make a very very good husky owner, just listen to people and be sure it is the right time, your parents should be very proud of the way you have done your research and how much you care.

Good luck

Steve

yes i have struggled my ass off with shiloh and yes i have come on here many times asking for help but that doesnt give me the right to blatently shoot this girl down jst for asking for opinions as thats how it has all come across

You couldn't be more wrong. Go and read my first post on page one. I have dont nothing but try to stop a young girl from getting into a committment that she might not be ready for. Dogs aren't items, you cant just get them and then get rid of them if it isn't working out how you wanted, so as far as I can see, all we have done is promote this girl to be careful about what she's getting herself into, which I think any responsible adult should do.

Stacey xxx

To be fair she seems like a very clued up young lady and maybe after she has taken in all the negative stuff we should also supply her with all the positive side of owning a husky, I have two complete opposites, one digs and tries to escape, one doesn't, one whines when left alone, one doesn't, one pulls on lead, one doesn't , one can run free, one can't, one is loving and affectionate, one is very independent. Every dog is an individual and there is no typical husky, they have certain characteristics but no two are going to be exactly the same.

Without wanting to cause arguments I feel as someone reasonably new I agree with tamz, this can be a really negative/clique place, have seen one new member savaged because they wanted a particular colour etc husky, yet another "premier" member applauded for rehoming a rehome whilst replying to ads to rehome another before ridding of the first!!! If that had been a new member they would have been hounded off the forum, maybe this judgemental s*it should be discouraged as people come here for friendly advise not to be judged, huskies are a difficult breed, no doubt about that but there is no reason this young lady cannot embrace one, take responsibility and make a dog very happy whilst learning to take responsibility for a life, good luck chloe.

No-ones being judgemental.

Stacey xxx

I think presuming because this girl is 13 she is not capable of looking after a husky is being judgemental, sure her parents are having a say in this and are not just going along with whatever she wants to do.

As for the post about needing £3000 before you own one is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

To be honest, the more barriers we can put in the way of prospective Sibe owners, the better. I would rather one really responsible person be put off than 100 morons be encouraged. That is why we in welfare spend so much time trying to put people off the breed. That way if, after all the negatives we bombard them with, they still want a husky, they probably have the commitment necessary.

We always say to people - deciding to get a sibe puppy is like deciding to have a baby. You are undertaking a project which is likely to last at least 15 years. It will change your life completely (if you do it right) and (like a child) your Siberian will alternately delight you and exasperate you. Fill you with love and frustrate you until you feel you are banging your head against a wall.

If people thought more before having dogs (or children) the world would be a much better place.

If people thought more before having dogs (or children) the world would be a much better place.

Don't think I've ever read something more true!

But I think we can tell people what a huge responsability having husky, whilst also telling them that if you take on the responsability properly how much Joy and happiness a Husky can bring you.

We can also put people off without berrating (sp?) them and I think that does tend to go on around here.

To be honest, the more barriers we can put in the way of prospective Sibe owners, the better. I would rather one really responsible person be put off than 100 morons be encouraged. That is why we in welfare spend so much time trying to put people off the breed. That way if, after all the negatives we bombard them with, they still want a husky, they probably have the commitment necessary.

We always say to people - deciding to get a sibe puppy is like deciding to have a baby. You are undertaking a project which is likely to last at least 15 years. It will change your life completely (if you do it right) and (like a child) your Siberian will alternately delight you and exasperate you. Fill you with love and frustrate you until you feel you are banging your head against a wall.

I agree Mike, it does take up loads of your time and they are a different world away from owning say a lab but to be honest if people are set on having one they will go ahead and get one anyway, I agree that people here should point out all the negatives bu put the point across nicely and point out the good points as well, I applaud the work you do for these fine animals and I understand you see and work with the remnants of irresponsible owners, but if everyone listened to all the negatives nobody would own one.

Don't start me on the irresponsibnle parents subject :mad:

I agree Mike, it does take up loads of your time and they are a different world away from owning say a lab but to be honest if people are set on having one they will go ahead and get one anyway, I agree that people here should point out all the negatives bu put the point across nicely and point out the good points as well, I applaud the work you do for these fine animals and I understand you see and work with the remnants of irresponsible owners, but if everyone listened to all the negatives nobody would own one.

Don't start me on the irresponsibnle parents subject :mad:

So funny that you say they are nothing like a lab, my best friend has a lab and kia and him grow up together so we take her over with us all the time. Last weekend my friend had moved house so we ended up staying over at her new place the night. I checked the yard and it looked good and i thought having my friends dog she would be right outside. we woke in the early morning to a phone call from this lovly man who was telling me kia was a great running patner, me and my partner just shook our heads... my friends dog was still at home but kia and i am still not 100% on how so got out but she was board and wanted a run. That is what husky's can be like. I think most people who dont know husky's dont believe some of the ways they get out, but they do and if it is the pound who gets them instead of someone nice who calls you it can become quite costly it cost me $400 to get her out of the pound once. most people cant afford that so they leave them it there where they then need rehoming or worse they get as they call it disposed of or distroyed.

Now for some from me. Chloe, I think you've taken everyone's comments *VERY* well. And you do seem to be the responsible 13 year old (which are way too rare!)

Huskies, in general, are very much their own individuals. Like a 13 year old kid ( :) ) tell them they can't do something and they'll sure try your patience!

*BUT* as has been said, all of us are individuals with our own ways of training and every Husky will respond differently to being trained; the best we can do is offer advice from our own experience, maybe we'll get the response we want from our animals and maybe we won't, if we don't we keep on trying.

There's a long stretch between the Husky owner who is 100% dedicated to their animals(s) and the moron who shouldn't ever have even a pair of mice. To tell Chloe, or any other person who's trying to do their homework *BEFORE* they bring one home that they shouldn't is contrary to the concept of rescue. Every dog deserves to have a loving home, if the owner is only 90% dedicated (or 75% dedicated) that's still better, imho, than putting down a dog which can be rehomed.

Chloe, yep, they're a challenge but the rewards to be gained from a loving Husky are well worth the effort. Keep talking with the folks and keep up the research - you'll have your special Husky friend in time.

Thanks everyone

What I am annoyed about though is that some Nice people are saying I would be a good husky owner and other people are acting and talking as if I'm another stupid irresponsible kid (and im not like that, yous dont even know me so you cant just say that) who wants a husky so you's are trying to put me off wanting one.

I have wanted one for a few months now and now that I'm considering getting most of you are like 'Oh another kid is wanting a husky so let's just shoot their hopes and dreams down'

I really want one and I know I will be responsible because that's the way I am

we are not being harsh hun belive me ive made mistakes on this site but people have helped me yes you are very mature for your age and i think youd make a great owner with all the research you have done but who will look after your husky while your in school x x x thats all im worried about

Personally I understand you, I was exactly the same, My parents never gave me the chance though and I know I would have been a great owner. I have been totally dog mad for my whole life and even though we had family dogs I really wanted one of my own. I had to wait 14 years for my first dog but it was totally worth the wait, now I have 3!!! If you think you can handle it and you know it's something you can commit to, I say go for it. I hope you find a healthy puppy from a suitable breeder. if your on facebook, why not join Larne husky/malamute owners. It's a group of local owners who meet up and walk their dogs together. I'm planning on meeting some of them next weekend myself! Come on down before you get a pup and you can get some hands on research, try scootering, take a look at some huskies who are blowing their coats etc. you'll get a realistic idea then aswell as having fun meeting all the furbabies!

Chloe, love, I don't think anyone here intentionally said that you were "a blithering idiot!" even if that may have been how it felt to you.

If you were asking about a lab, or a spaniel, or any of the others breeds which are more "laid back", even with mum not being entirely enthused, I think the response would have been different.

As it is we can only deal with generalities here ( generally :) ) Most 13 year old people would require massive amounts of help from their parents (and other family) if they were to get a Husky, especially a puppy! But not all, there some 13 year olds who are 13 going on 30. Most Huskies (at least those that I know about) would try the patience of ANYONE! But not all, there are some who are naturally laid back, easy going, willing to expend just as much energy as you are and then wait for the next time that you're ready to have a go at it. (( This assumes that "waiting" doesn't mean weeks! ))

You've written that you're doing your homework re a Husky, have asked some very good questions, explained well what the home situation is and in general, I think, convinced many of us that you would be at least a decent candidate for a Husky. You've been told the pitfalls - to the extreme, I might add, and you've been told the joys, now it's up to you to convince the folks.

My only criticism << ducking >> is that "you's" is not a legitimate contraction for anything, even in the Queens English! << tease >>