Husky pup :-/

Put in hours upon hours of training ect... but he pulls on the lead and I can assure its nothing to do with lack of training.

:offtopic: Any dog can be taught not to pull with the right method. You just need to find the right one to motivate your dog.

Now I don't think we should all be debating on this girls thread whether huskies can be taught not to pull etc.

All you need to know Chloe is thats what these dogs do and it can take a lot of dedicated and long training to teach your husky not to do it, others not so much time, but be prepared for a puller.

Stacey xxx

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:offtopic: Any dog can be taught not to pull with the right method. You just need to find the right one to motivate your dog.

Now I don't think we should all be debating on this girls thread whether huskies can be taught not to pull etc.

All you need to know Chloe is thats what these dogs do and it can take a lot of dedicated and long training to teach your husky not to do it, others not so much time, but be prepared for a puller.

Stacey xxx

Yeah well, some dogs are easy, some are much much much much much much harder...

but yeah think its information Chloe needs to know, regarding tools and techniques to use to stop pulling as its for the safety of her and her dog.

All aspects of it, she needs to know it may well not be as easy as a few techniques for a couple of sessions.

my 2 cents then imma shut up on the subject YES i am VERY lucky skyla is so laid back she cant be bothered to pull - on the other hand i have blaze who is soooo strong and pulls like a steam train - yes i did get a canny collar for him - but whilst it worked for a month or so he hated it and eventually it was just no good - he used to hide when i got it out despite me trying to get him used to it ,, now all i use on him is a semi-slip collar (he wears a harness but thats just the belt n braces cuz he broke his last harness but can slip collars so has to wear both) now i use the pull back and stop till he is calm tehnique and im seeing results -- the double ended lead has a handle RIGHT after his collar (ill post vids) so i have close control and once he starts to behave i give him more lenth - the otherday i had him at full lenth of the lead (unclipped his semi-slip because he was behaving yes he walked at the end of the lead - but he didnt pull me down the street

just because its 'in their nature' to pull or theyve 'been bred to pull' i belive its the easy way out - to say they pull is almost an excuse IMO - blaze is nearly 3 and only recently have i started using the pull back technique because he is just getting stronger as he gets older - i too said well hes a husky hes supposed to pull but no he isnt he CAN walk nicely aswell if u put in the time and training

heres my first atempt at pulling him back - he still pulled to sniff but you can see considering it was the first time ive done this he picked it up amazingly quickly

okyf5_v8Q_w

and here is a video i took last week

HZKMqPDcn3g

wow what a thread to read first thing in a morning lol

i dont really know what to say to be honest- im on both sides of the fence lol

from what Chloe has been putting in this thread she does sound as though she has really researched the breed...she sounds more clued up than what we were when we got shiloh- i didnt get this much stick off you all when i posted up about my endless problems i had in the beginning...maybe its coz i was 26 not 13??

i agree with some of things people have said about them takin up alot of time but dont agree that they overtake your life..not one bit im afraid.....shiloh hasnt taken over my life- he is very much a part of it but he defo doesnt come first...by that i mean i dont sort him out b4 the rest of my family.....chloe (my daughter) always has and always will come b4 shiloh- thats jst how it is for us....yeh that may p1ss a few members off on here but thats life....shiloh knows his place in the pack and he understands that others in the pack do come first.

i totally 100% agree with nix on the pulling thing...jst because huskies are breed to pull doesnt mean thats what you should allow....shiloh has been out 6 times now without his head collar on and from me using the same technique as the one nix mentioned he hasnt pulled at all.....i think walking huskies on a collar and lead instead of a harness works wonders...a dog that is walked on a harness will in my opinion pull.

with the right amount of training and exercise you can have a very well behaved husky.

crate.......we use a crate for shiloh...no he didnt like it at first but we kept going with it and now he goes in there no problem...he is crated during the day if i ever need to go out- prob 4hrs tops and then again during the night prob 6-8hrs.....so i would say yes they can be crated for a few hrs at a time aslong as you have toilet training under control etc.....not advisable to leave a puppy in there for a long amount of time as need regular potty breaks ;) i think we first had a successful night at around 4months old..by that i mean we didnt have to get up at 1am and 3am to let him out for the toilet :)

secure area.......we have recently made the side of our house into a run for shiloh as he totally destroyed the back garden :mad: he hasnt tried to escape from it..not that im saying some wont but we havent had an issue with it..our fence is around 6ft i think and has a shed a storage unit quite near to it that he could easily climb onto and jump over the fence....we left him at home in the run a few weeks ago for most of day as it was quite a hot day, he had fresh water and plenty of shade...we came home he was still there- very happy to see us :) so all im saying is..yes they are very good escape artists but not all huskies are the same :)

thats all im going to say for now...im not trying to cause arguements at all but i do think alot of negatives were given yestd...not all huskies are the same :)

thanks chick....... but it jst really gets on my nerves....im sick of people thinking they know it all coz they own a husky....everyone seemed to gang up on her yestd and all she came on here for was advice....im not saying that the advice given wasnt good coz it was but not one bit of it was postive..it was all negative....if they are that bad of a breed and have all these negative points then why the hell do we all own one?? yeah we all have had our problems- me included but like i keep saying not all huskies are the same and not all live upto the sterotype.....shiloh isnt at all like a stereotype husky at all.....he doesnt howl when left alone..he doesnt destroy my house when left unsupervised...he hasnt tried to escape- even when left outside for almost a full day...he hasnt overtaken my life......he is a very happy husky :)

thanks chick....... but it jst really gets on my nerves....im sick of people thinking they know it all coz they own a husky....everyone seemed to gang up on her yestd and all she came on here for was advice....im not saying that the advice given wasnt good coz it was but not one bit of it was postive..it was all negative....if they are that bad of a breed and have all these negative points then why the hell do we all own one?? yeah we all have had our problems- me included but like i keep saying not all huskies are the same and not all live upto the sterotype.....shiloh isnt at all like a stereotype husky at all.....he doesnt howl when left alone..he doesnt destroy my house when left unsupervised...he hasnt tried to escape- even when left outside for almost a full day...he hasnt overtaken my life......he is a very happy husky :)

true - n im not happy that i was one of the people posting up the negatives when really after the nightmare that skyla WAS shes an angel now and blaze is actually following her lead too - they are the best dogs ever - yes ive upped their exercise but tbh a few months ago they were only getting an hours walk a day (broken up) but are still happy dogs

mine arent typical stereotypes either - weve had our moments, blaze pulling n skyla chewing but apart from that they dont try to escape - we can now leave them on their own (we always could with blaze but not with skyla when she hit her teenage stage) ect

true - n im not happy that i was one of the people posting up the negatives when really after the nightmare that skyla WAS shes an angel now and blaze is actually following her lead too - they are the best dogs ever - yes ive upped their exercise but tbh a few months ago they were only getting an hours walk a day (broken up) but are still happy dogs

mine arent typical stereotypes either - weve had our moments, blaze pulling n skyla chewing but apart from that they dont try to escape - we can now leave them on their own (we always could with blaze but not with skyla when she hit her teenage stage) ect

awwh thats brill hun...im glad blaze is following his sisters lead :) i know how hard its been for you hun so im glad its finally all calming down xxx

awwh thats brill hun...im glad blaze is following his sisters lead :) i know how hard its been for you hun so im glad its finally all calming down xxx

thnx me too - he is MUCH better behaved now then he used to be - like ealrier on mum n dad got bk from shopping n he stayed at the end of the path n didnt go onto the drive or near the gate when they were getting the shopping in :)

thnx me too - he is MUCH better behaved now then he used to be - like ealrier on mum n dad got bk from shopping n he stayed at the end of the path n didnt go onto the drive or near the gate when they were getting the shopping in :)

awwh yay :D good boy blaze xxxx

In the last video you can see he is pulling and you just keep capturing his attention then he goes back to pulling. I can do this with mine too but IMO I dont really class that as loose leash walking. I class it as stopping them pulling by getting their attention because as soon as you start walking properly again his collar and lead was going tight ?

what we got told in training to get the walk with a loose leash is:

walk along until the leash goes tight then stop and wait...wait until he has come back to your heel- could be instant could take 10mins+ depending on how stubborn they are..with shiloh it was 10mins lol...once the leash is slack again set off walking again..as ssoon as leash goes tight stop again and repeat what you did before

it does take time but it does work- eventually :)

another way that does work is as soon as leash goes tight turn around and walk in the opposite direction...you do look like a plonker but again if you keep up with it you do see the benefits :)

what we got told in training to get the walk with a loose leash is:

walk along until the leash goes tight then stop and wait...wait until he has come back to your heel- could be instant could take 10mins+ depending on how stubborn they are..with shiloh it was 10mins lol...once the leash is slack again set off walking again..as ssoon as leash goes tight stop again and repeat what you did before

it does take time but it does work- eventually :)

another way that does work is as soon as leash goes tight turn around and walk in the opposite direction...you do look like a plonker but again if you keep up with it you do see the benefits :)

I think this sounds like a very good way so i might try it when i get one

I think this sounds like a very good way so i might try it when i get one

thats what we were shown in training with shiloh....i never walk him on a harness as it gives him the ability to pull and believe me he is like a train if he wants to be lol....i jst walk him on his collar....dont get me wrong he will attempt to pull for the first 5mins or so when we set off but i think its more to do with the excitement of being outside lol..once he has calmed down abit he will walk really nicely

it hasnt always been like though...again ive had my problems with him but ive stuck with it and i can now walk him without using his head collar :D

my 2 cents then imma shut up on the subject YES i am VERY lucky skyla is so laid back she cant be bothered to pull - on the other hand i have blaze who is soooo strong and pulls like a steam train - yes i did get a canny collar for him - but whilst it worked for a month or so he hated it and eventually it was just no good - he used to hide when i got it out despite me trying to get him used to it ,, now all i use on him is a semi-slip collar (he wears a harness but thats just the belt n braces cuz he broke his last harness but can slip collars so has to wear both) now i use the pull back and stop till he is calm tehnique and im seeing results -- the double ended lead has a handle RIGHT after his collar (ill post vids) so i have close control and once he starts to behave i give him more lenth - the otherday i had him at full lenth of the lead (unclipped his semi-slip because he was behaving yes he walked at the end of the lead - but he didnt pull me down the street

just because its 'in their nature' to pull or theyve 'been bred to pull' i belive its the easy way out - to say they pull is almost an excuse IMO - blaze is nearly 3 and only recently have i started using the pull back technique because he is just getting stronger as he gets older - i too said well hes a husky hes supposed to pull but no he isnt he CAN walk nicely aswell if u put in the time and training

heres my first atempt at pulling him back - he still pulled to sniff but you can see considering it was the first time ive done this he picked it up amazingly quickly

okyf5_v8Q_w

and here is a video i took last week

HZKMqPDcn3g

Thanks Good videos :)

Blaze is awesome!!!!!!!! :heartbeat:

In the last video you can see he is pulling and you just keep capturing his attention then he goes back to pulling. I can do this with mine too but IMO I dont really class that as loose leash walking. I class it as stopping them pulling by getting their attention because as soon as you start walking properly again his collar and lead was going tight ?

its training! the 2nd video is the first time ive tried it with just treats rather than using the pull back method - but considering this is a dog who when is outside on a walk NEVER focuses on me - that video is a hell of a mile stone! - i dont understand why ur picking on certain things i say when im only trying to help chloe n show her loose leash walking a sibe CAN be done wether its stopping and pulling back, turning around in the other direction or keeping the dogs focus it CAN be done if u put in the effort - trust me for blaze to keep his focus on me and not be right at the end of lead literally chocking himself IS loose leash walking in our books for him

thanks chloe - glad u like my videos :) and thanks for the compliment on blaze :)

thanks chick....... but it jst really gets on my nerves....im sick of people thinking they know it all coz they own a husky....everyone seemed to gang up on her yestd and all she came on here for was advice....im not saying that the advice given wasnt good coz it was but not one bit of it was postive..it was all negative....if they are that bad of a breed and have all these negative points then why the hell do we all own one?? yeah we all have had our problems

We own one because we are a particular type of owner and the last thing we want to do, in my opinion, is encourage a 13 year old girl to be getting a difficult breed.

We are all giving her advice to help her make the right decisions for her, you know how difficult it is yourself to cope with the husky behaviours, hence why you've posted your difficulties in the post, so imagine how difficult it would be to take on as a 13 year old and with a parent that doesn't even like dogs in the first place?

Huskies are brilliant dogs and I wouldn't knock them down. It's the owners fault at the end of the day if they get one and then can't cope with the most common behaviours that are plastered everywhere on resources, but Chloe is a young girl who is interested in learning more about the breed and we are just showing her what to expect.

Stacey xxx

I can totally see where Tamz is coming from though, and When I first was reading up on owning a husky, It seems like hardly anyone could be positive It definitley feels like owners want as few people to have huskies as possible or that huskies are only hard work.. I know its not the case but It can def feel that way, and it can feel like you get ganged up on and I believe sometimes that does happen.

Like I walk Kita off-leash(only in certain parks), and I'm always very hesitant mentioning this because It does feel like I get ganged up on and flamed, I know now its just people trying to help, but it def can feel like your being told your not good enough to own a husky or you are a terrible owner. (lets not change direction of the thread :P )

I think when telling people of the responsabilities of owning a Husky we should strive to mention how wonderful and howm uch fun and loving they are aswell in the same post! :)

We own one because we are a particular type of owner and the last thing we want to do, in my opinion, is encourage a 13 year old girl to be getting a difficult breed.

We are all giving her advice to help her make the right decisions for her, you know how difficult it is yourself to cope with the husky behaviours, hence why you've posted your difficulties in the post, so imagine how difficult it would be to take on as a 13 year old and with a parent that doesn't even like dogs in the first place?

Huskies are brilliant dogs and I wouldn't knock them down. It's the owners fault at the end of the day if they get one and then can't cope with the most common behaviours that are plastered everywhere on resources, but Chloe is a young girl who is interested in learning more about the breed and we are just showing her what to expect.

Stacey xxx

sorry stacey but i totally disagree......without going off topic here...yes i have struggled my ass off with shiloh and yes i have come on here many times asking for help but that doesnt give me the right to blatently shoot this girl down jst for asking for opinions as thats how it has all come across. i did alot of research b4 takin the plunge and getting him but no amount of research ever shows you what its really like....all dogs are different...alot of the issues we have had have all been sorted now and can quite clearly put it down to him having his furry plums..they have now gone and so have the problems.......some owners may not even experience what i have...likewise i havent experienced what some others have gone through.....i dont think its fair for you to say its the owners fault if they cant cope-nobody is perfect stacey and sometimes things get tough and are out of our hands

if im 100% honest here i didnt even want to get a dog..let alone a husky and we are coping fine now.....we have had a few ups and a hell of alot of downs but we are finally at a place now were everyone including myself is happy........so just because her mum isnt 100% onboard doesnt mean it couldnt work out..she has enough people in her family to help.....and yes they do take alot of work but doesnt every animal.....put it one way they are easier than children and no-one tries to put you off having them :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with dissuading a 13 year old child with 2 parents who aren't particularly thrilled about getting a Husky. This dog needs to be a family commitment. I think that's something we can all agree on, yes?

My dad loves huskies actually and my mum likes them too. It's just that my mum doesn't want it to get big

I can totally see where Tamz is coming from though, and When I first was reading up on owning a husky, It seems like hardly anyone could be positive It definitley feels like owners want as few people to have huskies as possible or that huskies are only hard work.. I know its not the case but It can def feel that way, and it can feel like you get ganged up on and I believe sometimes that does happen.

Like I walk Kita off-leash(only in certain parks), and I'm always very hesitant mentioning this because It does feel like I get ganged up on and flamed, I know now its just people trying to help, but it def can feel like your being told your not good enough to own a husky or you are a terrible owner. (lets not change direction of the thread :P )

I think when telling people of the responsabilities of owning a Husky we should strive to mention how wonderful and howm uch fun and loving they are aswell in the same post! :)

I totally agree with you :-)

its training! the 2nd video is the first time ive tried it with just treats rather than using the pull back method - but considering this is a dog who when is outside on a walk NEVER focuses on me - that video is a hell of a mile stone! - i dont understand why ur picking on certain things i say when im only trying to help chloe n show her loose leash walking a sibe CAN be done wether its stopping and pulling back, turning around in the other direction or keeping the dogs focus it CAN be done if u put in the effort - trust me for blaze to keep his focus on me and not be right at the end of lead literally chocking himself IS loose leash walking in our books for him

thanks chloe - glad u like my videos :) and thanks for the compliment on blaze :)

Im not picking on anything Nix im not that type of person, if I have something to say I dont beat about the bush. I just say it. I just said what I saw thats all so ive no idea why you think im picking on you

:confused: