Husky pup :-/

And also I have to save up for supplies so it may take me a good while. As I want to save up as much money as I can for vet bills

The good thing is I look after my neighbours dog because she works 12hr shifts for 4 days then she's off for 4 days and so on and I get paid £10 every time (she's the best neighbour:D) so I shall have a lot of money in case of any emergencies

When I get my husky, do you think I should rescue one? The thing is I don't want to rescue one and it get hip dysplasia or cataracts. I want to get it from a good reputable breeder. What do you think is best? I would kind of rather rescue one because it's saving it :)

Thanks a lot

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its great that you are thinking long term and saving hard. i've have spent thousands on vet bills in a very short space of time. i wouldnt worry about puppy or rescue as its important that you save the money first. i'd recommend a good £3000 as a minimum as well as very secure 6ft fencing for the whole garden.

Oh and I'd image you'd have to train it with a head collar or halti, as I'd imagine a fully grown husky wouldn't have to much of a hard time dragging about a 13-14 year old girl about, perhaps into the road etc.

Yea I was thinking that too. But my dad said once it's that age we both shall walk it

Thanks

And also I have to save up for supplies so it may take me a good while. As I want to save up as much money as I can for vet bills

The good thing is I look after my neighbours dog because she works 12hr shifts for 4 days then she's off for 4 days and so on and I get paid £10 every time (she's the best neighbour:D) so I shall have a lot of money in case of any emergencies

When I get my husky, do you think I should rescue one? The thing is I don't want to rescue one and it get hip dysplasia or cataracts. I want to get it from a good reputable breeder. What do you think is best? I would kind of rather rescue one because it's saving it :)

Thanks a lot

i guess it depends - if u talk to ISDW im sure she could help you as she helps sibes in need - even rescued dogs can come from a good breeder and even puppies from a good breeder can have problems

Thats a really responsible thing to do :)

Thanks a lot

There are plenty of rescues that are in good health and do need homes. Just remember that they were rehomed most likely due to difficulties like the chewing and seperation anxiety. Its not a bad thing if you've done lots of research or prepared for it and your own pup will most likely suffer with those too anyway.

If you were going to get a rescue, I'd go to a proper registered Siberian Husky charity as they will help you find the right rehome for you and tell you if they think they are suitable to your home.

Stacey xxx

I would say rescue, But It may be better if you get a pup / pup from a breeder.

Firstly I don't know if a rescue would allow you to have one, secondly rescues may have some issues / traumas that may be heard for you to deal with.

most husky rescues choose the right dog for the home - so obviously they wont rehome a dog with issues to a family that has a child in it - they will asses them and find the right dog that fits

you wont have 2 use any kind of head collar if u train it from day 1 :) my girl doesnt pull on the lead n ive never used anything other than a collar or harness on her

Though Nix that may depend if she gets a pup or a fully grown dog, though they training required, means you have to be able to stop and hold the husky from pulling and turn around or just stop :P which may be difficult :P

Or you could get lucky like me and have a dog that just doesn't really pull ^_^

As a parent and a husky owner I figured I ought to lay a few things out for you clearly...

• If you have a parent who hates dogs...I'd advise waiting until you're old enough to have your own place before getting a husky...as others have said they do not do well without regular interaction and to be honest we can't leave ours in the house unsupervised when we go places or after he finishes with his treats and entertainment he has this nervous habit of destroying things that we would rather he didn't...we learned that the hard way and...I currently only have one couch in my livingroom due to a rather expensive love seat a chaise lounge being gutted down to the wood. I love our boy to death and when I came home I was quite upset...

• It is NOT recommended to keep your puppy outside unsupervised for any length of time. At your age, I'd wager you go to school during the year with the exception of breaks. Whose going to be responsible for your pup while your at school? Are they ACTUALLY willing to work on house and behavioral training while your gone? Are you really going to be the one to wake up in the middle of the night during the early puppy years to take him her out?

• Read up on crate training...have your dad read up on crate training...talk to your mum and see if you can't get her to read up on some stuff with you.

• Continue to do research, get in contact with the woman who runs a rescue in your area to try to get some interaction with other huskies and such BEFORE you bring one home. They're very beautiful dogs...but they're also intelligent and opportunistic and require a lot of exercise to not be total spastic monsters...some need more exercise than others. Again, try to get your parents BOTH involved in reading up on things...this will show that perhaps this is more than the latest 'oooh shiney' thing you want right now.

• I can't say this enough...but continue to do research...seriously, go through the Well Husky Clinic portion of this forum...you'll get a ton of information that other owners have encountered, from what to do when your boy gets into a chocolate bar to behavioral issues that most of us didn't consider before we had huskies

• If you're not going to wait until you're old enough to have your own place you need to sit down with your parents and put IN WRITING your commitments, their commitments and what the consequences of not following through with things is going to be. I intentionally didn't say 'if you don't follow through' because you are still a child and there will be occasions when you fail to meet your obligations...What's going to happen if you consistently don't follow through? Are your parents willing to pay the vet bills? With at least one parent who doesn't admittedly like dogs...I don't see them as being willing to take on the responsibility for a pet they don't want if you're lapse in your obligations...and then as so many others have said a story that's been seen wayyyy too often is repeated and another Husky ends up dumped on the side of the road, in a shelter, or worse...

• What is the cost of immunizations, spay/neuter, basic check up, heart worm preventative, and of course the required test going to cost...who is paying or that?

• What research have you done on training? Are you intending to have this dog do some working or be strictly a pet? You also may consider that as a first Husky, working with a rescue they may have one better suited to your family lifestyle than a pup that's going to pee and poop all over the place until you get him or her housebroken.

That's bout all I got right now...

its great that you are thinking long term and saving hard. i've have spent thousands on vet bills in a very short space of time. i wouldnt worry about puppy or rescue as its important that you save the money first. i'd recommend a good £3000 as a minimum as well as very secure 6ft fencing for the whole garden.

oh yeah when I was 13 it only take me 6 years to save that and then I'd have to never spend it on myself! :P

Chloe if you do get one I'd def ask your dad if he could get it insured

Though Nix that may depend if she gets a pup or a fully grown dog, though they training required, means you have to be able to stop and hold the husky from pulling and turn around or just stop :P which may be difficult :P

Or you could get lucky like me and have a dog that just doesn't really pull ^_^

but the turn around technique works n its not hard to do - neither is the stop pull, yeh skyla doesnt pull either - ive never trained her to walk nicely - tho ive started training her to be abit slacker on the lead shes just an angel

providing they feel there IS one that fits.

and if theres not when 1 comes in they will let her know

Hi Chloe,

I'm sad to say that I agree with everything that has been said here. I am 27, I got my boy Kodi when I was 24, almost 25, after nagging and nagging my parents since I was younger than you are now. My parents always said no because we really didn't have the right lifestyle for ANY type of dog. Both my parents were out at work and my brother and I were at school, this meant that any dog we had would spend all day on it's own as none of us were close enough to come back and let it out. I lost count of the amount of tantrums I threw because they wouldn't let me have one, but now, when I look back at it, and having had Kodi, I realise how right my parents were.

My hubby and I have our own house, 2 big, active dogs, and 12 other animals (small ones, which Kodi tries to eat any chance he gets, except the cat). We both work shifts so one of us is usually in, but we have family and friends all over the country, if we go and visit someone, we have to arrange for someone to either pop in for 4-5 hours or stay at our house to make sure the dogs are ok, and to take them for thier walk. The same is true when we go on holiday, infact, we've started going away WITH the dogs now. I start work at 07.30 hours, I am usually up at about 05.30 because I have to walk Kodi before I go for at least 20-30mins, I don't finish work til 8pm. THEN my hubby (who works 3 nights) takes both dogs out TWICE during the day, and then Kodi gets walked again before bed, AND he still needs to be played with in-between, his energy is never ending! If this stops for any amount of time, say we go out or something and he misses ONE walk, he starts to chew, he howls, he scratches and he misbehaves. We have replaced ALL the fence panels in our garden more than once, gone through 2 coffee tables, 2 bookcases, 12 pairs of shoes, the stair carpet and goodness knows what else! Kodi is crate trained, but he only goes in there when we go out because that's always been his routine, if we put him in there at night, he howls because he can't see us. He also Moults like mad all summer, we have to hoover every day, and our garden is covered in clumps of the stuff. Luckily, we work three shifts each a week, so there is usually one of us in every day.

I wouldn't change Kodi for the world, he is my baby and I love him to pieces, but I now understand why my parents always said no, despite the fact that they had kept dogs before. Having had the experience of raising a husky pup and now raising the huge, active dog that he is, I would not have had the time for him had I been any younger, as I would not have been happy to give up my 'party' time with my friends, and I would definitely have struggled when I went to Uni and the dog would probably have ended up being rehomed.

You have done everything right by seeking advise and by doing your research and not just going out and buying a puppy, but I seriously recommend that you wait for a while. What everyone here has said is true, a Husky is like a child, he or she will take over your life and to keep a husky happy and healthy is a long-term commitment. Please think seriously before you do get a pup, they are very hard work, and it will take work from every member of your family to keep them safe and content. Perhaps if you still feel the same in a few years time you can rethink the situation.

I'm sorry to be another one to dampen your spirits. Perhaps you could find out whether there are any groups in your area that meet and go along, then you will be able to see how Huskies behave. I would definitely try and get some experience first.

Good luck x

but the turn around technique works n its not hard to do - neither is the stop pull, yeh skyla doesnt pull either - ive never trained her to walk nicely - tho ive started training her to be abit slacker on the lead shes just an angel

True, But theres still that risk that if it sees something it wants and goes, Chloe could be going with it, depending on the age and strength.

I mean I've held ( @Sidwolf) Grey for just a few mins, now grey is well trained, But he is a pulling dog, now that boy is strong! If he really wanted to go I think I'd have to use all my strength to stop him and I'm 6ft, 10+ stone guy ( i know lanky runt! :P)

please please remember a husky is a pack animal with massive energy requirements. there are so many in welfare as their needs are not met. i have fostered a number purely cos of inapporpiate purchasing. the youngest was 5mths old and was kept seperate from the family. he had major issues where he was so distressed due to the issolation from the family/pack

As a parent and a husky owner I figured I ought to lay a few things out for you clearly...

• If you have a parent who hates dogs...I'd advise waiting until you're old enough to have your own place before getting a husky...as others have said they do not do well without regular interaction and to be honest we can't leave ours in the house unsupervised when we go places or after he finishes with his treats and entertainment he has this nervous habit of destroying things that we would rather he didn't...we learned that the hard way and...I currently only have one couch in my livingroom due to a rather expensive love seat a chaise lounge being gutted down to the wood. I love our boy to death and when I came home I was quite upset...

• It is NOT recommended to keep your puppy outside unsupervised for any length of time. At your age, I'd wager you go to school during the year with the exception of breaks. Whose going to be responsible for your pup while your at school? Are they ACTUALLY willing to work on house and behavioral training while your gone? Are you really going to be the one to wake up in the middle of the night during the early puppy years to take him her out?

• Read up on crate training...have your dad read up on crate training...talk to your mum and see if you can't get her to read up on some stuff with you.

• Continue to do research, get in contact with the woman who runs a rescue in your area to try to get some interaction with other huskies and such BEFORE you bring one home. They're very beautiful dogs...but they're also intelligent and opportunistic and require a lot of exercise to not be total spastic monsters...some need more exercise than others. Again, try to get your parents BOTH involved in reading up on things...this will show that perhaps this is more than the latest 'oooh shiney' thing you want right now.

• I can't say this enough...but continue to do research...seriously, go through the Well Husky Clinic portion of this forum...you'll get a ton of information that other owners have encountered, from what to do when your boy gets into a chocolate bar to behavioral issues that most of us didn't consider before we had huskies

• If you're not going to wait until you're old enough to have your own place you need to sit down with your parents and put IN WRITING your commitments, their commitments and what the consequences of not following through with things is going to be. I intentionally didn't say 'if you don't follow through' because you are still a child and there will be occasions when you fail to meet your obligations...What's going to happen if you consistently don't follow through? Are your parents willing to pay the vet bills? With at least one parent who doesn't admittedly like dogs...I don't see them as being willing to take on the responsibility for a pet they don't want if you're lapse in your obligations...and then as so many others have said a story that's been seen wayyyy too often is repeated and another Husky ends up dumped on the side of the road, in a shelter, or worse...

• What is the cost of immunizations, spay/neuter, basic check up, heart worm preventative, and of course the required test going to cost...who is paying or that?

• What research have you done on training? Are you intending to have this dog do some working or be strictly a pet? You also may consider that as a first Husky, working with a rescue they may have one better suited to your family lifestyle than a pup that's going to pee and poop all over the place until you get him or her housebroken.

That's bout all I got right now...

Thanks for the info I have done loads of research on them but will continue and I'm going to start writing down all the care, health problems and what to do ect. As my iPad is full of notes on how to care for huskies

And I am paying all the vet bills. I always pay for my own things. My parents call me the richer child because I always have loads of money

And yes I will be committed to my dog. I am committed to everyone of my animals. I will train him to do everything

I really against dumping a dog on the side of the road ect. Because it is just plain cruel

Again, try to get your parents BOTH involved in reading up on things

I second this! Especially try and get your mum involved! making it something that you and her can do together her may make her warm to the dog and the idea of having one and taking care of it :)

you wont have 2 use any kind of head collar if u train it from day 1 :) my girl doesnt pull on the lead n ive never used anything other than a collar or harness on her

Nix I think you are lucky that Skyla doesnt pull but with some (maybe most) all the training in the world wont train them not to do what they are naturally bred for. I have had Marley since he was 6 weeks. Put in hours upon hours of training ect... but he pulls on the lead and I can assure its nothing to do with lack of training.

I second this! Especially try and get your mum involved! making it something that you and her can do together her may make her warm to the dog and the idea of having one and taking care of it :)

Good idea because she wants to go a jog sometimes and the husky could get involved too!

indeed!

She will come to love it I'm sure! :D

I mean my dad, really couldn't care for dogs, But I even catch him occasionally playing with her.

Its down to her, she would go up to him bark at him then run away, after a while, he'd pretend to chase her, she'd run, then come back, bark at him, he'd then pretend to chase and she'll run again, its very fun to watch! :D

He even said to me today "I must admit, she is a very good looking dog!" :)

Hi Chloe,

I usually wouldn't give advice as I'm really bad at it, but you remind me so much of myself.

I love all kinds of animals since I was a little kid and always wanted one for myself and I'll spend hours online researching on them but dogs was always my favourite. Your parents are like mine as well - my mum hates animals while my dad is fine with them (as in he don't mind getting me one)

I ended up getting two guinea pigs that my mum never fails to complain about she gave them away when I was away on a school camp because "they got too smelly" Not sure about your mum but keep in mind she might find anything and everything as an excuse to get rid of the pup.

I've just gotten one myself after 11 years, no longer staying with my parents now.

Realized that reading about how to take care of a pup is different from actually taking care of one.

It's ALOT of hard work

- I haven't been out of the house (at all) for 4 days after I got her, luckily I have housemates nice enough to buy groceries for me

- I wake up every 2 hours (starting from 9pm) to take her out to pee/poo every night

- She still manages to pee/poo in the house when she's out of her crate and you'll have to clean up her mess after

- She'll howl and bark in the middle of the night, all excited and wanting to play (this may disturb your parents' sleep and they might not be too happy) when all you want to do is to crawl back to your bed and sleep

Basically, you have no time to do anything except to sleep while you can for the first week you got the pup - will you be able to provide that?

You sound like a very responsible girl to me, so before you decide to go ahead and buy/rescue one, please also think from the puppy's perspective.

Will the pup be happy too or are you the only one getting satisfaction out of it?

I'm agree with everyone here...:) At the age of thirteen, you still have an exiting life to live, I don't think now is the right time to own a husky... They are very10x different from other breed of dog...:D At the age of 16 I'm used to own 1 pekingese, 2 mix breed, and 1 mini dachshund (he still with me now and the other pack already past away)...No problem at all...hmmm...how to put it..."I still have my own life to live" but when Raven ( He is 1 1/2 years old now) the husky arrived...:jawdrop:...It's...:rolleyes: different...huuuuge different...:P