Husky pup :-/

Hi my name is Chloe, I live in Northern Ireland, I'm 13 and am planning in getting a husky pup.

Unfortunately my mum is not a dog person but she is fine with me getting one as long as I keep it outside and I have been looking everywhere to find as much info on the breed as I can. I am pretty confident on getting one and I know a lot now. But you's are the experts so this is why I am asking you's this question as I cannot find the answer::

What age can a husky pup live outside in a run at (I have a good 15ft of space and I will let it out ect. With my supervision). My dad has also researched the breed and he told me they can live outside at3 months. Is that true?

Thanks

Chloe

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huskys are pack animals and you very likely find that it will hate being kept outside on its own. it will howl and howl and howl. they need their pack which is either you or other huskys etc. you will have a very unhappy lonely sad depressed dog

you need a very secure area or they will escape.

please please wait until you have gone through school adn college before you get one.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Claire. Huskies are not like most breeds. They become easily bored if they are not active, but they also want to be active with another dog or a person, not by themselves. When they become bored, they can very easily become destructive. Letting a Husky live outside would require a secure, fenced area. The fence would need to be six feet high, and in-ground at least 12 to 18 inches and come in underground about two to three feet. Not only can Huskies dig and escape under a fence, they can also jump quite high. They are escape artists.

Hi my name is Chloe, I live in Northern Ireland, I'm 13 and am planning in getting a husky pup.

Unfortunately my mum is not a dog person but she is fine with me getting one as long as I keep it outside and I have been looking everywhere to find as much info on the breed as I can. I am pretty confident on getting one and I know a lot now. But you's are the experts so this is why I am asking you's this question as I cannot find the answer::

What age can a husky pup live outside in a run at (I have a good 15ft of space and I will let it out ect. With my supervision). My dad has also researched the breed and he told me they can live outside at3 months. Is that true?

Thanks

Chloe

Hi Chloe, that's really cool that you've come to learn more information about the breed. That's far better than just going ahead and buying one.

I don't want to crush your dream of having a husky puppy, I really don't, but unfortunately there are quite a few home truths that you need to know about the breed which may make them an unsuitable dog for you.

In my experience, it is not good living with an adult that does not like dogs. Even if your dog does live outside, they normally still find something to complain about, and my guess would be that your husky will get very vocal, which is not only annoying for your mum, but also your neighbours.

15ft run sounds really good, however in reality, I think that amount of space will probably feel very restricted for your husky and could cause them to get distressed. As an example, I have a lovely kennel and run that my partners mother in law brought for my husky, in the hopes to get her outside more. We have been trying for over 8 months to try and condition her to like her run. She hates it so much. She has caused tons of damage to the run and we have had to replace loads of sections and it has also caused her and me great distress. My girl actually prefers to be in doors and in her crate than go anywhere near the kennel and run. I know you're probably thinking, maybe we didn't try enough, but we tried tons of methods, gradually leaving her their, treats, toys, kongs, spending time out there with her, ignoring her, sound diversion, tiring her out before putting her in there, even down to the point of trying harbal remedies like Bach and Kalm-aid. Nothing for us has worked.

She is now happily back in doors with us now, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

As well as this, huskies can suffer with severe seperation anxiety, are great escape artists, have the potential to chew through walls (I've seen it!), are stubborn and lead you into a false sense of security in that you can let them off the lead, when most can't.

At 13 years old, I would have a serious chat with your parents and perhaps a husky charity like the Siberian Husky Welfare Association about the pro's and con's about owning a husky.

Don't get me wrong, huskies are fantastic dogs and have great potential, but they need a particular type of owner that you need to understand before considering one and I think that perhaps this may be a better breed for you to consider in the future when you have moved out and live by yourself with your own financial responsibilities.

All the best,

Stacey xxx

I know what it is like to be your age and desperately want a husky. At 11, I read Jack London's wonderful books about the "frozen north" and huskies and I fell in love with the idea of one day getting my own team of sled dogs. In fact, I was over 40 when I got my first husky and I am so glad that I waited. By the time I was 15 (this was in the '60's) I was a typical teenager - out every night, obsessed with music, girls and clothes, riding motorbikes, surfing, playing in a band, worried more about what my mates thought than about my parents etc etc. If I had had a husky at that time, no matter how much I loved it, it would have been neglected (by me) and left to my poor parents to care for. It might even have ended up in rescue like so many huskies do nowadays.

At your age, you have so much in front of you, that the extra responsibility of a high-maintenance dog like a husky might be too much. I know I sound like an old kill-joy, but believe it or not, I was young once and 40 years working with teenagers as a youth worker has taught me a bit about young people.

Give it a few years, get your education, get a place of your own and then, if you still feel the same about huskies, go for it!

Mick

Hi Chloe, Good on you for doing your research first! You must make sure if you plan on keeping a husky outside that there is no escape oppurtunities, because trust me, they will take it! You need to provide a decent kennel and keep it away from walls as the husky will stand on the kennel and leap right over! 6ft fencing is usually sufficiant but 8ft makes sure it's totally secure. think about places that it can dig, they are excellent and natural diggers!

Also lonliness will make them Howl, and believe me, their howling at night when they are lonely is so sad and haunting.

They also need extreme amounts of exercise, so getting one whilst your still in school isn't ideal but if your family agree to help with that then it shouldn't be a big issue (as long as they keep to their agreement!)

So many huskies have to be rehomed because people just don't have the time for them anymore. They live for a long time so make sure your not too busy for the next 15-18 years!

Thanks everyone for all the great info but what age does the husky have to be before it can be outside and yea I would 100% prefer to have my own place and have 1 or 2 huskies and keep them indoors with me. My sister is 18 and she is just as desperate to get a husky. She is here all day too which is good

If I were to persuade my mum to let me keep it indoors, and if no one was in the house, would it be cruel to keep it in the crate for a few hours? For example my sister just got a job in a hotel/restaurant and she will be working a couple of days a week at 7am-11am most times and I will be away from 8:45am-3-30pm. So would it be cruel to keep it in a crate we are gone? Or I could just keep the kitchen door closed etc.

So what age does the husky need to be until I keep it outside

Thanks again. Yous are awesome ;D

Chloe

Oh! And my dad and I are planning on going to see a good reputable breeder who lives in portaferry and get some info ect. off her. She said she will not have pups till autumn next year

All alone, it will NEVER be old enough to stay outdoors - they don't think in the same way that we humans do (they DO think, and think well, just differently!), and can't tell themselves that you'll be home soon and then they won't be so lonely. A husky that is isolated too much isn't a happy dog, and can make everyone around miserable! IF you were to get this puppy, and your parents would not let you keep it in the house, chances are very high that the puppy would become at best very noisy, and would annoy your neighbors as well as your parents, which might well cause problems leading to you needing to rehome your pet. Additionally, it would actually be cruel to the dog! Would you like to have to live in a similar situation, while the rest of your family lived in the house? Put yourself in the dog's place, and see it from the perspective the pup you want would see it...

I have to tell you, that as a reputable breeder, I would not sell you a puppy with your parents not being at all enthused. That isn't to say I wouldn't talk to you again in a few years and sell you a puppy then, when your situation would hopefully be better for a Siberian! This is a breed where the whole family needs to be in agreement, and willing to help care for the puppy and the dog it will eventually be. As your life gets busier, especially if you should go away for school or a job where you couldn't take the dog with you (and remember, your sister might also be in a situation where she couldn't take the dog, either!), would your parents be willing to take over its care?

I would instead look for an opportunity to find someone in your area with a husky or two, and see if you might not be able to strike up a friendship with them. Perhaps if you did and earned their trust, they might let you play and walk with their dog(s)? I know that it isn't anywhere NEAR as good as having one of your own, but the first lesson you need to learn about having a dog - and especially having a dog like a Siberian - is that you sometimes have to put their needs first. It's a hard lesson, and I'm so very sorry that it is!

Hi Chloe,

I would speak to @ISDW as she runs a rescue centre in Ireland. She might be able to help you find a pup that needs rescing or point you towards reputable breeders and maybe let you meet/work with some of her huskies so you can see what its like to own one before you buy one.

I think it is very important to remember that many things are going to change in your life. I'm 25 and got my first husky 3 years ago when I was 22. Even then it was a great big commitent and even now there are things I can't do. My husky has alot of problems but having a dog means I can't go out with friends when I want because I need to look after them. I can't have partys because its not fair on my dogs. I can't go on holiday abroad, all my money goes on them and there is also the wonderful job of picking up poop all the time, especially on walks. I've had loads of pairs of shoes eaten, got white fur on my clothes all the time, got to walk them even when its raining and i'm knachered from work, have to pay for their vacinations every year, brush them, bath them, feed them etc. It takes up alot of time and you don't get to do alot of stuff you want to.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't swap my dogs for all the the in China and i'm happy to give up everything for them. I even lost a boyfriend and a home over keeping my husky due to his problems. I love him to bits, hes cute, he's fluffy he howls and sings with me, but he's also a lot of hard work and takes up 90% of my time. He and my other dogs always have to come first so it means i cant do alot of stuff my friends want to do like going to clubs, pubs, holidays etc. They have distoryed my mums garden, worn the carpet out, chewed things they shouldn't and did i mention the hair!?

I know at the moment you are happy to give everything up to have a husky but he/she might live a long time. you'll get a job, maybe a boy/girlfriend, want to have children of your own etc. Its a big big commitment to take on and you can't just get rid of them or shut them outside when you don't have time anymore. I'm not saying thats going to happen I just think you should think about it a bit more.

and ISDW will give you some really great info about the breed and how many she has to rehome etc

if you really like huskies plz dont get one. they are not dogs, or pets, they are family and they expect you to treat them that way. Failure to do so will cause an unhappy dog which will be a very destructive dog. even if your parents let you have the dog inside, it is only a matter of time before it is kicked outside. I guarantee you the dog will be outside the first minute it starts shedding. huskies are not a breed you simply let outside to have fun, they need the security of having a free roam of the house and be able to go in and out the same way you do (out as in backyard). they require constant attention and supervision. if you want an accurate time as to when you can leave your dog outside alone, I would say 3 yrs if your dog was trained and treated well, and is confident enough to be unsupervised. otherwise the dog will be distressed, sad, bored, depressed and will start howling nonstop, will try chew everything he/she can, and dont forget huskies are expert diggers so if your mom cares about her backyard, I can bet she wont even want to have the dog outside. point being, it is not right for you. wait until you are older and stable.

This is not a dog that you can put outside in a kennel all day and take it out when you want to play with it. They are very much pack animals and thrive with a family. I would really talk with your family and see if a dog is even really the best choice for you all at the moment. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but everyone really needs to be all-in for this decision to be a good one. There are so many dogs turned into rescue because only 1 or 2 people really liked the dog and the others couldn't be bothered. So when things get tough... often times the dog is first to go. Not saying that's what will happen with you but my best advice is to get to a common place with your whole family and see what breed of dog would be best suitable for such a situation.

Huskies are very intelligent. If they're bored they will figure out how to climb that fence or open a latched gate they will do whatever it takes so that they aren't bored. Digging, tearing things up, escaping... whatever is more interesting than sitting in the yard. Crating a dog indoors isn't cruel. I have crated all my dogs when they were young and Odin is still crated at night. They give the dog a safe place to be and most grow to really love their crates.

Exercise is also a major component. This isn't a dog who you give it a 5 minute walk and they're done and ready to pass out. They really need an involved family that wants to share their life with a dog in as many aspects as possible.

yea I would 100% prefer to have my own place and have 1 or 2 huskies and keep them indoors with me. My sister is 18 and she is just as desperate to get a husky. She is here all day too which is good

With your sister being 18, her life is going to really change soon so your family needs to remember that.

If you think you 100% would prefer your own place and having a husky, then why not wait until you do have that so as you aren't making a mistake for the dog?

I know you're really enthusiastic about getting a husky, but we aren't joking when we say they aren't like other breeds. Huskies are a completely different kettle of fish.

I would advise that if your dad is thinking about this too, that you show him this thread so as he can see all of our concerns about it.

Stacey xxx

for a few hours, no. but it depends on what you do before, and after. and it also depends on how well the crate training goes.

REMEMBER that crate training and being left alone takes a lot of time before it happens. So even if you get a dog, it will be months before you can crate for hours

Also, here is something no one has asked. Do you or anyone in your close family have any experience with dogs and large breeds? by experience I mean have they previously owned one for more than a year?

Yea thanks I have read about crate training and hopefully I can persuade my mum to let me keep it indoors

The reason my parents are letting me get a dog because my dad loves them and wants one and my mum knows I'm brilliant with animals as I have 23 snakes and 14 lizards. I am able to look after all of them everyday and they fit in perfectly. I also just got my report and mum is very very pleased so hopefully I can persuade her since I done well ;-)

The reason my parents are letting me get a dog because my dad loves them and wants one and my mum knows I'm brilliant with animals as I have 23 snakes and 14 lizards. I am able to look after all of them everyday and they fit in perfectly. I also just got my report and mum is very very pleased so hopefully I can persuade her since I done well ;-)

I hope your dad knows what he's getting himself into.

Also note that huskies generally do not get on well with other small animal like snakes and lizards. This is what happened to my partners tortoise after my husky got a hold of him when she was accidently not put in her cage properly by my partners' parents:

207213_10150174681343088_645433087_6902498_3828438_n.jpg

The treatment of the tortoise has cost us over £200 so far and he's still not recovered as tortoises recover slowly.

Stacey xxx

my male husky Blaze - was supposed to be for my little brother (he is a year younger than u) but guess who does all the work and walks him - me and my mum, he is too busy hanging around with his friends and having fun to take responsibility of a high energy dog ,, so its down to me - he did walk him when he was a puppy but he got big n strong n only i can walk him now as im the only 1 who can hold him ,, he also HATED the crate so we couldnt crate train him - we are lucky theres always somebody home otherwise god knows how we would have coped with him,, my other brother who is 15 in a couple of weeks - never even really sees the dogs he is out ALL the time - so much so i always joke that i cant even remember what he looks like - ive basically had to put my social life on hold - i go out occasionally but its not often where as before we got blaze i was out with my friends every friday night - this year i think ive been out once - n that was for my birthday 3 weeks ago

i would really reconsider it untill ur older

i personally do use a crate for very limited amount of time however only after they've had a good 5-10 mile walk so actually all they want to do is rest anyway. But i use it for other reasons other than for my convience cos im going out.

A quick stroll/walk is not enough to occupy a husky so they can be left. Please please take our advice on board. Perhaps volunteer at a husky working kennel and really learn about them and their intense needs.

I am 35 with my own house and a partner. We have 2 dogs and our lives have totally changed. We can no longer go on holiday and we rarely go out with friends now as they depend on us so much. A husky is a sled working dog with very high energy needs requiring a pack environment. They need constant training and constant money spent on them

This is an example of what a husky is capable of and very likely within a very short space of time too. A friend is on his 3rd sofa!

http://www.siberianhuskyclub.com/huskydamage

particularly look at the pic of the dog who got out of his crate and destroyed the lounge. yep huskys can get out of crates

I just want to know things for when I'm older and get one and honestly I don't like going out with friends. I prefer to be on my own or with animals You all have convinced me not to get one. And I no yous aren't trying to be mean or anything. But you's are kinda talking as if I shouldn't get one at all. And I have messages the girl about the husky rescue in Ireland

Thanks anyway

I just want to know things for when I'm older and get one and honestly I don't like going out with friends. I prefer to be on my own or with animals You all have convinced me not to get one. And I no yous aren't trying to be mean or anything. But you's are kinda talking as if I shouldn't get one at all. And I have messages the girl about the husky rescue in Ireland

Thanks anyway

Sorry that we've upset and disappointed you. Just from experience, we all know that it would be better to be honest with you than to encourage you to get one and then you get upset from the shock of actually living with one to the point where you might have to rehome them.

Think of this as an opportunity to prepare for the future. There are so many breeds out there and so much to learn and then when you are living by yourself, maybe it will turn out the husky is the right dog for you.

All the best

Stacey xxx

Thanks anyway

we arent trying to put u off completely just letting u know that they arent like other dogs they are much more hard work - i used to walk my staffy x twice a day - now im walking about 5 times a day because of the huskies ,, and like said already they really arent good dogs when left alone outside or inside - they get bored they bark, howl and destroy stuff ,, i would continue to do ur research speak to and meet as many husky owners breeders ect as u can where you are and just start planning for the future :) i do wish u all the best tho

I dont think you shouldnt get one at all, by all means go ahead and rescue a puppy when you are ready. We are simply concerned about the dog, as many people in here, including myself, have rescued huskies and continue to see the same scenario over and over again, where people get huskies even after researching the breed and didnt realize that what they heard and read was the nice side of the husk. so, they find out huskies needs hours and hours of daily exercise and they end up abandoned or in shelters.So, I will say I am happy to read you have decided to wait, truly the best choice.

Poor Tortoise, lucky they have steardy defenses! :)

My dad isn't a dog person either, But he warms to kita more and more everyday! :) But he didn't ask me to keep her outside or even crate her, all he asked was I train her, clear up after her and take care of her. I desperatley wanted a husky at your age to! My dad said if I cleaned my room for 3 months straight I could get one, I did it, but he still said no! (he never expected me to do it :P) he said I wasn't resonsible enough for a large active dog, And he was right! I got Kita for my 20th birthday :), Best birthday present ever! :P, luckily for me she isn't very vocal or destructive, Though there are 5 of us in the house, 4 of us that will play with her, give her treats, look after her, Even my dad will lay with hr occasionally! :D

Huskies are such wonderful dogs, the ammount of fun things you can do with them! rough play, Bike Jouring, Scootering, Rig pulling, Roller blading (if your seriously brave! :P) also watching to Huskies play, Is the most amazing sight! I could literally watch them for hours! :D

I'm still young with a social life, But Kita's exrcise, feeding and training come first, I will turn up an hour or so late to most things, because I attend to her first and fore most.

Also Husky exercise is not small task, since getting Kita, I have had to get up an hour early, So I can walk her and then feed her before I go to work. I then get home from work, get changed, play with her, do abit of training then its out for a walk for up to 30 mins to an hour (I should only do 30 mins due to her age, But I love walking her so much, that I keep telling myself, aww 30 mins extra won't hurt! :oops:) then I come back, eat my dinner, chill out for an hour and let her rest, then I will sometimes take her out again between 9 and 10.

My little brother who is your ages, Loves Kita, will play with her, try her command training etc and he told me that he would walk her everyday when he got home from school, Does he? not usually....

Owning a Husky takes much more dedication than a regular dog.

I would say go for it! :D..... If....

• You can persuade your mum to let it live in the house, explain to her it can sleep in its crate etc, A Husky left outside will be a lonely husky.

• You will be truly dedicated to it, with training, with exercise, with brushing, clearing u poo and wee.

• You keep up your research on the breed, different behavior types, exercise activities, training exercise etc!

• You won't get bored of it, I know at 13 I was a fad kind of person, dived into something whole heartdly for a month then got bored of it.