Cooling collars - Made by me!

Sid_Wolf

Based on a US design, it is a flat buckle collar which has a fabric 'pouch' sewn on. One end is stitched and you pop the ice cubes in the other end, then fasten it with a snap popper. Once its on the dog the ice melts and the icey cold water runs down the dogs neck, which helps to keep them cool :clap:

Tried and tested on Keyu, the Ginger Ninja :lolman:

dscf5561640x480.jpg

dscf5562640x480.jpg

dscf5564640x480.jpg

these were taken just after I put it on, she's been playing with Grey and is much less 'panty' than usual :wave1: I will be making 1 for all of mine!

avaliable in the following colours:

Black

Red

Royal Blue

Sky Blue

Baby Pink

Purple

Dark Green

the fabric is only avaliable in red, I chose red because it pretty much goes with all the webbing colours :)

£5 each :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have one of these whcih arrived a few days ago. i really think it helped storm who really suffers with the heat. i would never use for walking as if its that hot then its too hot for walking and it cant be used with a harness either (they've done very little for a few days now). but he was mooching around yesterday and his body was defo cooler under the jacket.

http://www.countryhounds.ie/Product.aspx?ProductID=70

they look good claire, but i wont be getting one at 30 euros each! (why do i not have a euro's symbol on my keyboard!?!?!?)

No these arent to be used for walking, not only the fact of the heat, but also ice cubes digging in could be uncomfortable!

how do the jackets work stacey? do you literally just soak it? I'd never heard of one till claire posted that link!

Whenever you're ready hun :)

There are different ones available. The one I am making is based on a chamoi one I've seen. The materials trap water and cause evaporation to work more slowly.

The jacket like the one in that link contains poly crystal, which are activated when soaked in water for 30 seconds and then squeezed and can keep the cooling effect for over 24 hours. Again it uses evaporation to it's advantage.

Stacey xxx

they look good claire, but i wont be getting one at 30 euros each! (why do i not have a euro's symbol on my keyboard!?!?!?)

No these arent to be used for walking, not only the fact of the heat, but also ice cubes digging in could be uncomfortable!

i thought about it but i figured that 30 euros was money well spent for his comfort. its peanuts when i compare it to the money i pay out in fuel, mortgage and council tax whcih i hate doing. i'll spend anything on them but be-grduge (sp) stuff like council tax! i did get feedback from other users (on sled dogs) first. ok it doesnt compare to winter for them but defo helped to keep him cooler.

ah I see, so draw the heat away from the body rather than using water too cool it down?

Yep that's it :)

A lady with a siberian at the show which had a much longer coat than Aleu was wearing one and it was sitting in the bare sun and not panting! She really recommended one.

Stacey xxx

i thought about it but i figured that 30 euros was money well spent for his comfort. its peanuts when i compare it to the money i pay out in fuel, mortgage and council tax whcih i hate doing. i'll spend anything on them but be-grduge (sp) stuff like council tax! i did get feedback from other users (on sled dogs) first. ok it doesnt compare to winter for them but defo helped to keep him cooler.

lol I have 3, I dont have 90 euros to hand (I wish!) It's great that it works,

Keyu suffers with the heat, but she still seems nice and cool, isnt panting, just chilling out, and her body temp feels cooler (to the touch, i havent got a themometer to hand) that earlier too :)

thats why i only got one for now. wanted to see how good it was and whether my dogs benefited etc. i can always get another at a later date if sharing isnt viable. storm seems to suffer more than thunder but maybe thats an individual or puppy thing.

is Thunder old enough to have a full coat yet?

Saying that keyu is worse than Kira atm, but Kira has mostly finished her shed (finally!!!!!)