Usergroup permission for rehome section

Marc

Hi Guys,

There have been some conversations going on over the past couple of weeks regarding the rehome section of the forum. There have been members who have no doubt been signing up to the forum looking for a free husky for breeding, and also we have had people in the past that have been getting them simply to sell on in order to make money. All of this is obviously a problem.

As it is very difficult for any of us to say who is genuine and who is not, we have decided to place some restrictions on the rehome section of the forum. From now on nobody who is not registered on the forum will be able to even see that the area exists, which will stop people signing up specifically for this purpose. The other registriction that we have put in place is the "Registered+" usergroup addition. This usergroup you will be automatically added to by way of a trophy upon reaching 500 posts on the forum. This will mean that the rehomes will be restricted to people that we at least know something about, and hopefully the people doing this for nothing but financial gain will be found well before they get to this point.

We did toy with the idea of removing this section completely. However it was felt by many that it belongs on the forum in some respect, therefore restrictions had to be put in place. There may be further announcemence on this in a coming days relating to rules of posting these things in other areas of the forum.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this is a bit pedantic, just thought of something :-/

What about people that sign up because they have a dog they need to rehome? They won't be able to post about it because they won't have access to that section?

Took the words right out of my mouth, I have seen a few specifically for that reason, Trey is a recent example

A sound and wise policy. :)

DNA tests, full financial background check and a contract agreeing indentured servitude of their first born child

in the event that they sell the rehomed pooch in the first 5 years. (perhaps) :P

The only problem I can see is a lot of people come to this website to rehome their huskys. If they can't post in there because they need a 500 post count I don't think they will bother and will be more likely to go to preloved. Perhaps it'd be worth making it so that they can, but it must be modified and that anyone else who wants to rehome must have 500 posts. I do think it's a good idea what you've done cause I've seen a lot of people that don't even bother reading the thread just posting on there and asking for the dog in question. But I also think we won't see many rehomes at all if no one can find the rehome section. Thats just my 0.01p on the matter.

OK so if you need to rehome your pooch. there should be an open "I need to rehome my dawgie" section. This has a form to fill in which is forwarded to a member of the Mod/Admin team and they submit the post.

Then it appears in the rehome section which can only be viewed by those with 500+ posts

Sorry if this is a bit pedantic, just thought of something :-/

What about people that sign up because they have a dog they need to rehome? They won't be able to post about it because they won't have access to that section?

A fair and good point but this isnt a rehoming site is it? The section is there but that isnt why the site is here is it?

Like An

OK so if you need to rehome your pooch. there should be an open "I need to rehome my dawgie" section. This has a form to fill in which is forwarded to a member of the Mod/Admin team and they submit the post.

Then it appears in the rehome section which can only be viewed by those with 500+ posts

Good idea Andy

I agree with this I rehomed jasper aka doofus off here I think I only did a few posts beforehand but I didn't join looking for a husky ie why I'm still here pmsl I am really proud to have waz as I call him lol and he aint goin nowhere he mummys baby boy

nice 1 marc

i like andy's idea too - louise this site might not be a rehoming site but i know if i needed to rehome 1 of mine i would want it to go to sum1 who knew the breed where else better than a husky forum - full of people who love the breed and can learn about them and share their experience - which is why i think andy's idea would work wonders

nice 1 marc

i like andy's idea too - louise this site might not be a rehoming site but i know if i needed to rehome 1 of mine i would want it to go to sum1 who knew the breed where else better than a husky forum - full of people who love the breed and can learn about them and share their experience - which is why i think andy's idea would work wonders

yes I agree with all my heart, i would also want it to go to someone who had been on here longer than 5 minutes which is why I support this idea.

While I like the restrictions placed on the rehoming section, I think 500 is a little overkill. There are quite a few members who are great member, they just don't post often. I think a lower post count would be better as we are mostly looking to keep out people who just post/join to get a free dog. But regardless, the restrictions are going to help prevent dogs from being taken through here for the wrong reasons.

I know you guys won't agree but I personally feel that all people should be encouraged to go to dedicated rescue such as Shwa & shcgb. That way a thorough Homecheck is done, a thorough dog assessment is carried out. By more people going this route would mean more dogs are better placed. No dog would be rehomed with the ability to breed.

From what I can gather folk try & get a private rehome as it's free - it should be about supporting welfare & getting the right dog for their lifestyle.

I know you guys won't agree but I personally feel that all people should be encouraged to go to dedicated rescue such as Shwa & shcgb. That way a thorough Homecheck is done, a thorough dog assessment is carried out. By more people going this route would mean more dogs are better placed. No dog would be rehomed with the ability to breed.

From what I can gather folk try & get a private rehome as it's free - it should be about supporting welfare & getting the right dog for their lifestyle.

we do suggest shwa , huskies in need ect when these huskies in need of homes pop up - but if we can help why shouldnt we - the fact people try to sell them on or breed for them is exactly why marc has put the restrictions in place

doesnt one of those if not both only take pure KC reged Huskies?? or have I got it wrong?