Northern Inuits are better than huskies? Really?

Huskies are ranked 45th in Stanley Corens Intelligence of Dogs, I think they'd be much higher if they wern't as stubborn and always looking to make a sweet deal out of learning / following Commands! :P

Kita has picked up her commands very quickly ^_^,

1 week for almost all the mushing commands is awesome! how did you do it?? :P I'm trying to teach them to Kitajust while walking, but its kind of difficult to gauge how well she's actually picking them up

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi James, I had my running partner Neil run ahead of me, Harley hooked up to my canicross belt, and we just went down loads of single track routes to keep him on path...to set the basics up it was just classical conditioning, pairing a stimulus with a naturally occuring event. So when Harley followed Neil left it was haw, right for gee, over a cross road it was over, and when Neil picked up the pace it was hike! When I slowed Harley had to slow so it was easy...All the time Harley was doing something that a command could provide it was spoken repeatedly...when he stopped to pee or sniff he was given a correction of 'on by'...didn't take long at all before he was doing it on his own.

Since then I've been getting him switched on to working using 'on task', getting him to 'line out', 'stop', 'gee over' ,'haw over' and exposing him to more and more distractions to get him working under performance. He's also only 10.5 months, so I've only just started to get him to do any kind of actual pulling - before I would have to keep up like a loonie to prevent him from pulling!! Now he's allowed a gentle bit of tension on the line...

'On task' was achieved by me getting serious in my head that I had work to do, and projecting that in my command each time before we got working. I also use 'with me' if I want him to run/walk beside me...and also 'smell' to free him up to smell and have down time...I also use 'water' to allow him to drink...

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Smiler

Huskies are ranked 45th in Stanley Corens Intelligence of Dogs, I think they'd be much higher if they wern't as stubborn and always looking to make a sweet deal out of learning / following Commands! :P

doesnt that make them all the more intelligent tho - that they ask why they should do it first before just doing it - please dont tell me collies, labs and other 'obedient' breeds are at the top - they arent clever just eager to please - huskies make their minds up on wether they do something or not first wether it pleases us or not - as it pleases them

They were extremely impressed but still tried to convince me my life would be easier had I have had a NI. I've been talking to some NI owners and they're all saying to me now "Wow is it really possible to do obedience with a husky?" lol. It is possible to do obedience with any breed, you just have to work at it.

Stacey xxx

I've a friend who cleans up at obedience and agility trials with her Siberians (yes, pretty much any of her dogs - and she has more than I do)!

I think Huskies would be higher on this Intelligence scale, too, if they weren't so stubborn. But then I see the stubbornness as a good thing. And Border Collies are stubborn dogs too. I think it's all a matter of degrees. BC's are just more likely to jump quicker when you ask while a Husky will be thoughtful a moment before doing so.

I'm hoping to see just how smart my husky can be when I get him/her. I actually can't wait to do training. Gigi, that's awesome to hear because I want to try Agility or Obedience with my Seppala just to see how they'd do.

I think Huskies would be higher on this Intelligence scale, too, if they weren't so stubborn. But then I see the stubbornness as a good thing. And Border Collies are stubborn dogs too. I think it's all a matter of degrees. BC's are just more likely to jump quicker when you ask while a Husky will be thoughtful a moment before doing so.

I'm hoping to see just how smart my husky can be when I get him/her. I actually can't wait to do training. Gigi, that's awesome to hear because I want to try Agility or Obedience with my Seppala just to see how they'd do.

Good luck! Not as familiar with the Seppala lines, but hers are from mainly working lines, mixed with some show lines (with strong working abilities - her foundation bitch was from me, and was out of the first show Champion to have finished both/either a Yukon Quest and Iditarod.)

The thing with Seppala's are their desire to run is stronger. But I've also met some pretty laid back Seps when not in harness so I'm hoping if I can start from the get go with training and be consistent with it, it might pay off. I'm willing to try anyway. Thanks for the good luck! I don't know many show people; only two really, although I have Karen Ramstead on my FB. (sorry, rambling)

I posted yesterday but I guess it didn't post! So here it is again...

The dog intelligence test quoted is not about intelligence. It is about how well the dog can pass the test set. That test favours a certain innate nature in certain breeds of dogs. The definition of 'intelligence' is very narrow as defined by Stanley Cohens test. Any conclusions as to intelligence from this test should only be considered in direct relation to the test set.

And the test does not reward independent thinkers such as huskys and other dogs who have had their independent thinking maintained through their history or bred into them. Such dogs would be huskys and terriers and other breeds with working heritage who are bred to work independently of their handler.

Another set of test criteria applied would produce a completely different set of results.

Oh, and even in human neuroscience and psychology in studies they can't seem to agree on what 'intelligence' actually is either...

I think this is a good case of looking at one study and generalising innappropriately...

Best regards,

Smiler

Indeed. I was merely stating what the test concluded, I don't think anyone here totally agrees with it :P

I think the test more appropriately defines how quickly certain breeds will pick-up commands and how happy they are to repeat the commands (on average) as we know Huskies can get quite bored after repeating 1 command a few times.

Intelligence is a subjective view. One thing that you may consider as intelligent, may not be considered as such by someone else.

Some dogs may well understand the commands you want them to do, but are simply not interested in following said commands, Like you could get a collie and a husky together and try and teach them commands, the Collie will more than likely do better than the husky here, but put them in an enclosed area they need to escape from and Its almost certain the Husky will figure it out 1st :P

You need a test that measures a broader range of abilities other than the ability and willingness to follow commands.

Indeed. I was merely stating what the test concluded, I don't think anyone here totally agrees with it :P

I think the test more appropriately defines how quickly certain breeds will pick-up commands and how happy they are to repeat the commands (on average) as we know Huskies can get quite bored after repeating 1 command a few times.

Intelligence is a subjective view. One thing that you may consider as intelligent, may not be considered as such by someone else.

Some dogs may well understand the commands you want them to do, but are simply not interested in following said commands, Like you could get a collie and a husky together and try and teach them commands, the Collie will more than likely do better than the husky here, but put them in an enclosed area they need to escape from and Its almost certain the Husky will figure it out 1st :P

You need a test that measures a broader range of abilities other than the ability and willingness to follow commands.

I think any real test of intelligence (in humans or canines) should relate to problem solving, not rote learning. Real learning and real intelligence is an interactive cognitive process and few breeds excel at that better than the sled dog breeds.

Also from what I hear / have seen Huskies are incredibly good at learning without being directly taught, they easily figure out that to achieve certain things they need to mimic the actions of those they have watched doing said activities. Things such as simply opening doors to more complex activities.

So I've heard a lot about the Northern Inuit.

At the show on Saturday we got to meet LOADS of Northern Inuits and got to speak to some people from the Northern Inuit Society. After we got talking to them, I couldn't help but feel that they were almost trying to "sell" the idea of a Northern Inuit being far better than a Siberian Husky.

People are chuffed with their own dogs and will try to tell people how good they are, i try to put people off of huskies, because they are a commitment

We were told that they are fantastic dogs in obedience and are easy to train - unlike the Siberian Husky (NOT MY OPINION).

i have seen 3 different NI, they are very pretty, and i would say they seemed to be marginally better behaved and do not pull so much, but you can train a husky not to do this

They said the only real thing they share in common is the need for crate training.

dont tear me down, but i dont crate mine, never have and never will if i can help it, and they dont destroy anything (micha used to as a pup)

I've even heard Northern Inuit owners say they used to have a Siberian Husky but it turned out to be too much, so they opted for a northern inuit instead and that they didn't mean to offend me but they would never go back to a husky because of the way they are.

then they never researched sibes properly, having huskies is a big commitment and they are not suited for them

So what do you think of Northern Inuits against Siberian Huskies? and do you identify a Northern Inuit as a cross or a pure breed as they have Northern Inuit Pedigree Registering but don't want to be recognised by the Kennel Club as they feel it will give them less control over what happens with the breed.

all dogs at some point where cross breeds. so far the northern Inuits seem to be 1 of 2 types, husky looking or more fluffy.

i love huskies because they are so much more than dogs (no offense to dog owners) i have had GSD and collies and they just dont compare.