Northern Inuits are better than huskies? Really?

So I've heard a lot about the Northern Inuit.

At the show on Saturday we got to meet LOADS of Northern Inuits and got to speak to some people from the Northern Inuit Society. After we got talking to them, I couldn't help but feel that they were almost trying to "sell" the idea of a Northern Inuit being far better than a Siberian Husky.

We were told that they are fantastic dogs in obedience and are easy to train - unlike the Siberian Husky (NOT MY OPINION).

They said the only real thing they share in common is the need for crate training.

It got me thinking about how this opinion would start reflecting to other members of the public and it made me wonder if there would be a boom in people buying northern inuits and then can't handle them, like they do now with huskies.

I've even heard Northern Inuit owners say they used to have a Siberian Husky but it turned out to be too much, so they opted for a northern inuit instead and that they didn't mean to offend me but they would never go back to a husky because of the way they are.

So what do you think of Northern Inuits against Siberian Huskies? and do you identify a Northern Inuit as a cross or a pure breed as they have Northern Inuit Pedigree Registering but don't want to be recognised by the Kennel Club as they feel it will give them less control over what happens with the breed.

Stacey xxx

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogwash. Comparing a Siberian Husky with a Northern Inuit is tantamount to comparing apples and oranges. They are two differerent breeds. I would not worry about it. Here's how I would look at it: those people that say they had a Husky and now have a NI, and would not go back to a Husky, are probably not as smart as a Husky.

An NI is basically a crossbreed of GSD, Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute and the breed's intent was to create a dog that phenotypically closely resembles a wolf in appearance while possessing the gentler, more trainable character of the domesticated dog. However, like many spitz-type breeds, Northern Inuits have a more "primitive" nature than many breeds and are not recommended for inexperienced owners. Information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Inuit_Dog

I knew an NI that was owned by a neighbour who rehomed him at approx 10 months of age as he became very destructive due to separation anxiety. Saxon was a very well behaved dog although rather vocal in the home which was probably the result of his GSD heritage.

its rubbish! - ive just taught blaze to sit up without the aid of leaning on me to do it - in about 5 minutes - if that - skyla took about 5 mins to learn all of her tricks - doesnt pull on the lead - n i even got blaze loose leash walking a minute ago (got a vid but cant upload it atm)

skyla only needed to be crated during her teenage stage - blaze has never needed to be crated - n skyla hasnt been crated for MONTHS now

NI arent even a breed! they are a x breed

Northern Inuits are a disaster. In the 30 years or so since they were created by mating together poor quality GSD's, Malamutes and Huskies, they have gone from bad to worse. I saw the show on Saturday too and it is amazing that after 30 years they still don't look like a consistent breed. The reason they will never be recognised by the Kennel Club is nothing to do with "control" over the breed and everything to do with the fact that the KC would never register them a million years as their "breed registry" is a mess of lies, false pedigrees and lack of health testing. After 30 years you would have thought that they might at least have got the "look" of the dog right, but to me they still don't look remotely like any wolf that I have seen.

The owners/breeders of these dogs can't even agree amongst themselves and the original Northern Inuit owners of 30 years ago have now split into several different "breeds" - Northern Inuit, Tamascan, Utonagan, British Inuit, British Timberdog etc etc etc. After 30 years of failure, they still look like dodgy crossbreeds to me!

Mick

Northern Inuits are a disaster. In the 30 years or so since they were created by mating together poor quality GSD's, Malamutes and Huskies, they have gone from bad to worse. I saw the show on Saturday too and it is amazing that after 30 years they still don't look like a consistent breed. The reason they will never be recognised by the Kennel Club is nothing to do with "control" over the breed and everything to do with the fact that the KC would never register them a million years as their "breed registry" is a mess of lies, false pedigrees and lack of health testing. After 30 years you would have thought that they might at least have got the "look" of the dog right, but to me they still don't look remotely like any wolf that I have seen.

The owners/breeders of these dogs can't even agree amongst themselves and the original Northern Inuit owners of 30 years ago have now split into several different "breeds" - Northern Inuit, Tamascan, Utonagan, British Inuit, British Timberdog etc etc etc. After 30 years of failure, they still look like dodgy crossbreeds to me!

Mick

mick i read an article on british timber dogs in a magazine the other day - what are your opinions on those - i mean i know they are x breeds but they did look like wolves - well these ones did - or well husky like with more mask (dirty-faced) so was just curious about them as a breed (well not a breed but u know what i mean)?

umm... no. xD

A friend of mine used to own one, but after moving she had to rehome him, and from what she said she wasn't that sorry about it, too. She bought him advertised as a "Purebred" (rubbish), and to be honest, it looked something like a German Shephard with a slightly husky-ish tail and husky colors. Well, just pretty much like a GSD/Husky cross.

And about the "hard to train"? Can't agree with that AT ALL. My Girl catches on so fast on everything I want to teach her. Of course, she doesn't just mindlessly execute every command I shoud at her in the blink of an eye 100% every time but honestly- did we all get a husky for the sake of owning a mindless robot, or to have a furbaby companion? >.>

I knew Mick would chime in with a big ol paragraph on this disasterous breed! -_-. You may aswell come out and say the breed should be culled! ;):lolman:

Any how this thread is obviously going to be biased! :P

The only unbiased, fair Opinion is mine! :P Kita is half Sibe, Half NI! =]

Anyway these threads of "which breed is better" are just kind of eeerrrr...... Both have different(ish) traits and some similarities. Again its all about preference, Personally I love both! :), But I love almost all spitz dogs :)

Huskies aren't hard to train...it's their owners that generally either don't do their research or slip into bad habits themselves because it's easier at first...mine doesn't fetch...and won't ever be off lead in an unsecured area....

Fox is however terribly opportunistic and it doesn't take him long to gauge people's willingness to be firm and consistent with him. If you fall into the 'I'll let it slide' group of people...guess what? He's gonna see just how far you're gonna let it slide and then if the pay off is more of a reward than the inconvenience of you being annoyed with him...well he's gonna keep doing it. It's a trait that makes him both endearing and well genuinely annoying at time...though to be honest I tend to be more annoyed with the people who don't listen when I tell them things like...'don't let him jump on you'...and of course there are the rules for safety...there is no running around in the house anywhere except the play room...the playroom has toys, a bouncy ball inflatable princess castle, couches and plenty of room to just mess about in...it also has a door and the dogs aren't allowed in there. Why? Because they both still get excitable when they see people wrestling and acting like rowdy children...and I prefer to avoid the behaviors associated with that.

Occasionally we'll have some kid come over who thinks that despite my reputation for being a mean ogre when it comes to rules...that somehow...someway they just don't apply to them. It doesn't take long for them to see WHY we have the rules we do, and after a thorough bumb chewing...I don't often have to send them home or talk with their parents about their inability to respect the homes of others...I have had to do it in the past...and generally the little darlings realize that their counting on me bluffing about telling their parents was a bad idea.

Huskies aren't for lazy owners, and really that's the bottom line...as for the NI...eh they really do look like an accidental cross breed rather than anything distinct. I was intrigued by them for a bit...but it passed.

forgot to mea+ntion @Staceybob - did they not see how well behaved aleu was!?

They were extremely impressed but still tried to convince me my life would be easier had I have had a NI. I've been talking to some NI owners and they're all saying to me now "Wow is it really possible to do obedience with a husky?" lol. It is possible to do obedience with any breed, you just have to work at it.

Stacey xxx

stupid people i say! i think huskies are easy to train, they just dont listen all the time. I wouldnt recognize the NI as a breed, being that they are crosses aimed at to resemble another animal. I've never met one myself, so couldnt tell if they are easier.

personally, i think ppl who cant handle huskies just dont understand the breed (high energy working history)

I really enjoyed Mick's insight on the breed. I had planned to post that the breeds are just different with different traits,not that one is better, but based on Mick's description, it appears that NIs as a breed may have some quality issues in terms of a standard. That being said, I took a dogsledding vacation with Wintergreen Lodge in Ely, MN, (they appeared to me to be reputable and conscientious with their dogs) which used Northern Inuits. I found their dogs delightful to handle. They were eager, hard-pulling dogs (the guide likened them to draft horse breeds) but were sweeties to handle. But, of course, they were working dogs who got plenty of exercise -- I have no idea if they'd be as docile as a pet! And as for standard -- yes they certainly came in a wide range of looks, sizes, and colors!

mick i read an article on british timber dogs in a magazine the other day - what are your opinions on those - i mean i know they are x breeds but they did look like wolves - well these ones did - or well husky like with more mask (dirty-faced) so was just curious about them as a breed (well not a breed but u know what i mean)?

British Timber Dogs are basically the same old same old. They all originate from the "Northern Inuit" - perhaps with a dash of this and a bit of that thrown into the mix. In the UK we have over 200 recognised breeds to choose from and rescues are overflowing with unwanted crossbreeds. Why does anyone, in this day and age want to create a "new breed" - it's crazy.

I knew Mick would chime in with a big ol paragraph on this disasterous breed! -_-. You may aswell come out and say the breed should be culled! ;):lolman:

Any how this thread is obviously going to be biased! :P

The only unbiased, fair Opinion is mine! :P Kita is half Sibe, Half NI! =]

Anyway these threads of "which breed is better" are just kind of eeerrrr...... Both have different(ish) traits and some similarities. Again its all about preference, Personally I love both! :), But I love almost all spitz dogs :)

I don't think that NIs etc should be culled, James, but I certainly don't think that they should be bred any more - given the appalling history of breeders within the wolf lookalike "community" and the dreadful health problems occurring in the "breed."

It's not the dogs' fault - I am sure that most of them are lovely (like any dog). It's the irresponsible breeders I have issue with - the same way I have issue with irresponsible breeders of any dogs of any breed.

I don't think that NIs etc should be culled, James, but I certainly don't think that they should be bred any more - given the appalling history of breeders within the wolf lookalike "community" and the dreadful health problems occurring in the "breed."

It's not the dogs' fault - I am sure that most of them are lovely (like any dog). It's the irresponsible breeders I have issue with - the same way I have issue with irresponsible breeders of any dogs of any breed.

psssttt Mick I was kidding! ;), Of course I don't think you think they should be culled! :P

But I knew, before I even entered this thread you'd have a paragraph about it :P As I remember having a very similar conversation with you, in the thread about Wolf-Dog Hybrids. :P

I really enjoyed Mick's insight on the breed. I had planned to post that the breeds are just different with different traits,not that one is better, but based on Mick's description, it appears that NIs as a breed may have some quality issues in terms of a standard. That being said, I took a dogsledding vacation with Wintergreen Lodge in Ely, MN, (they appeared to me to be reputable and conscientious with their dogs) which used Northern Inuits. I found their dogs delightful to handle. They were eager, hard-pulling dogs (the guide likened them to draft horse breeds) but were sweeties to handle. But, of course, they were working dogs who got plenty of exercise -- I have no idea if they'd be as docile as a pet! And as for standard -- yes they certainly came in a wide range of looks, sizes, and colors!

Hi Cathy,

In fact the Wintergreen Dogs are not related in any way to what is known in the UK as the Northern Inuit. The Wintergreen dogs are the descendants of the original sled dogs of the Inuit peoples and are not related in any way to the crossbred dogs known by a variety of fanciful names here in the UK. As the Inuit Sled Dog International organisation puts it:

The ISDI believes it imperative in the interest of clarity and truth to point out that some dog clubs are usurping the name ‘Inuit Dog' and trying to pass their hybrids for pure Inuit dogs.
There is ONLY one Inuit dog and that is the Inuit Sled Dog that the Inuit people brought with them, several thousands of years ago, when they migrated to the Canadian Arctic and Greenland. The only dog that the Government of Nunavut (Canada) has adopted for its mammal emblem and recognizes as the pure Inuit breed.

The name ‘Inuit Dog' belongs to the people of the Nunavut territory of Canada, who adopted the dog as their mammal emblem, and to the people of Nunavik region of northern Quebec (Canada) and to the native inhabitants of Greenland. The Inuit Sled Dog is an aboriginal dog that has not changed in function, appearance and temperament during more than four thousand years. It is the dog that pulled explorers' sleds to both poles, and brought them back.

You can read more about genuine Inuit Dogs here - http://www.inuitsleddoginternational.com/home.html

Hi!

I've a friend who breeds NI's, and they are great. A brilliant dog, more so if you like the Spitz look, as I do.

NI's are not huskies though! And that's why I got a husky and not a NI.

Define obedient - Harley is exceptional. He knows most of his boundaries. And I've caught him crying for me to let him know if he thinks he's over-stepped a boundary that wasn't clearly defined. In fact, I am constantly gob-smacked at the ability he has for higher level processing. He's great in the house, great with strangers, we have flowers in our garden, he walks (most of the time) on a loose lead, is an excellent sled dog, very loyal, knows his basic commands...and such a sweetie - and in all of these respects he's incredibly obedient.

Yet at the same time he has the innate genetic need he can't shy from to be a husky. The 'what's in it for me' thing. He isn't stupid - he won't do something just for doing it.

Huskies hard to train? One week and 75% of the time mushing commands are followed. He even does short bursts of speed obedience - commands sent rapid fire, and he's perfect. When there's something in it for him...

This morning I took him for his 'recovery walk', 1.5hrs cross country. I stopped by a 4' high cross country horse jump, a log. I climbed over, pulled the lead taught, and 'hup!'. A bit of confusion, then over he came to lots of praise. The second time was quicker, the third time he cleared it on command. I did about another ten repetitions with me running to the sides and he cleared it each time! Perfect, agility training has started...please note the landing zone is soft earth, and minimal repetitions for his growth plates...

So in my eyes Harley is a husky who is obedient and trainable. And to do so I keep consistent, fair, and help to keep him balanced, while paying attention to my state when working him.

I've no problems with cross breeds, nor developing new dogs for specific purposes. Our use of dogs is changing, and many breeds' innate necessities are becoming redundant. So developing is good in my eyes, if for a specific purpose that is kind to the dogs, and it prevents inbreeding problems.

NI's aren't better than huskies, or worse. They're just different, yet still dogs.

I loooooooooove my husky, for every reason he is a husky, good or bad points, it's all good to me ;) I agree with Cesar Milan and others that say the same and treat Harley as an animal first, then dog, then husky, then my little 'Harley' - and stay true to his needs.

Just my two-penneth, others are allowed of course to differ!

Best regards,

Smiler