Training tool DISCUSSION

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for that hun, we dont usually use collars anymore now, but will save the page just in case :)

• 3 weeks later...

LOL oh boy I would LOVE to send Diesel to some of you people and see what comes back haha. Kiana I've never used anymore training tools than my own voice and corrections on the collar but I got her as a pup so I cheated there :P

STACY WE LOOOOOVE you I personally would be lost without your advice, and many others :P , :grouphug: sometimes stepping back and just letting others have their way is the strongest decision you can make :D If you seriously would like to check out a prong I'd LOVE to send you one no expectations or anything coming from my end I'm actually VERY curious to see what you would think once you got your paws on one and thoroughly checked it out :) I totally thought they were barbaric and swore to my self on a moral level never to result to using one. LOL that's an epic fail right now haha.

Honestly this discussion is so weird to me mainly because not one thing will work for all dogs. With the insane backgrounds some dogs come from to a puppy that is just learning everything works on each dog differently. It's like the eternal debate over to spank or not spank your child. What works for one person will go horribly wrong for another it's just the way of life. If you find something that works don't question it keep it going and don't change it based on another's experience with their dog cause ten times out of none both dogs did NOT go through the same things in life to this point.

Head Collar (back of the head)- Diesel has been an absolute nightmare since we have both recovered from our subsequent medical problems and I've been seriously close to sending him back to the shelter. He lunges horribly at any animal that comes our way and he's nearly gotten us both killed on a couple occasions and so our walks have been pathetically short. I enrolled him in obedience which failed due to the trainer more than Diesel. In the classes we tried a few methods to get him walking good and not one of them worked.

The head colloar, around the back of the head, never worked one bit. He would head bang every time it was on no matter how much time I used to get him used to it. He would pull horribly on it and dig at his face. I was very VERY disappointed; and yes it was fitted correctly before anyone asks. Our walks consisted of his face planted on the ground most the time.

Stubbord husky side showing through I'm pretty sure but I just can't physically handle him when he's still lunging despite the head collar. It's not even aggressive either it's totally I'm in charge and I demand to greet that thing over there. Except with cats and birds I'm sure he wants to eat them. He's 60lbs and throws all that plus an additional 20 to get at something and physically I'm sure he's going to break something on me lol.

Prong Collar-I have since sought the advice of several other trainers and all agreed to try the prong. Now I HATED the look of them and did an awful lot of research before I decided to go with their advice. I can't imagine not having used it before. It only took one time for him to essentially correct himself when going after Kiana while my dad was walking ahead of us. He has since made a complete 360 on his behavior on the leash and I'm almost convinced I can try to take him outside the apartment complex and not die in the process lol. I've tried it on myself first of course and I understand completely why people would not like it even after trying it themselves. When I had it around my arm I was leery about putting it on Diesel even though there's no pain there is a definite instances that gets your attention when they pinch LOL. I cant imagine taking him out without one now and it's even helping to get him to walk loose on a regular collar. It's going to take some time but right before he pulls into a pinch I tell him nuh uh, like Fox's Family I believe, and when it pinches he realizes oh mom wants me to stay back ok and it's been working quite well.

That's my experience and I've really enjoyed reading how other's dogs have reacted to other training methods this is a great thread for the most part :D

So exactly what is it supposed to do, and how does it work ??

Andy essentially from what I've gathered is that it snaps your dogs attention out of whatever it is that has grabbed it. For Diesel he will NOT change his attention when there is another animal around. He is NOT treat oriented, toy oriented, and frankly laughs at me when I ask him to do ANYTHING when he is distracted. If you've never dealt with a high energy dog who has absolutely no respect for you and wants to own the outside world you won't understand the intensity behind his actions and thus probably may think that I'm being rather cruel resulting to this. But for the prongs they are situated evenly around the neck and I believe hit key points at the same time when they pull in during a correction effectively changing the dogs attention and snapping them out of their fixation. I would compare it to when training a puppy who is easily distracted you pull out a cube of cheese and suddenly you are the cats meow.

With a full grown dog already set in not having been trained or what not it's not that easy; especially when they are not motivated by food or toys. With prongs you HAVE to be cautious and honestly you have to know your dog well enough to know how they will react on it. I would NEVER suggest it for a shy, scared dog or a dog with aggression issues or even for a dog that is a light puller. I think they work best for a dog that is nearly obsessive with it's distractions and need a physical reminder stronger than a regular collar to redirect their attention.

With Diesel it is simply I want to play with or eat that thing over there and I'm doing it now. No aggression involved. It kind of does work like a bite, having seen how Kiana and Diesel interact I can say this with some confidence, and you can see the gears change in his head when it pinches. I think the best way I can describe it is like yelling at a child STOP in a "if you don't mom will NOT be pleased" type of voice but with a physical "yell" instead of the voice your dog is oh so used to ignoring by now.

The most important thing about this is to fit it correctly and never EVER use it to lead, direct, or move your dog like a normal collar. It is created to CORRECT not to REPLACE your normal collar. For example you are going right your dog wants to go left a light tug and "come" or "this way" and move just a touch to get your dog to follow. If they don't follow do NOT pull them with the prong. I personally would move just a bit toward them, tug lightly again, and move the way I was going again. They WILL get the concept but you have to be both firm and gentle without being overly exuberant to correct them. It really is a tool I think that should be used by someone who really is educated in the proper use and not just wanting a quick solution to their problems.

I hope this has helped somewhat with your question Andy I wonder can we post a vid of the proper use on here and how it works or would that be to much? Granted it would take a little bit to find a good vid and I might just think about making one myself instead but I think it would go along way to helping people understand what drives others to use this tool. I'm not trying to sway anyone to "our side" but I think it would make for more interesting discussion to.

In the long run it all comes down to what you are comfortable with and what works for you and the dog. For me I think head collars are horrid but I love how well they work for other people :) Though I was hoping they would work for Diesel I ended up compromising my moral standards to try the prong and it has worked well for him so far so adaptability and understanding took us thankfully in a positive direction.

LOL thanks for the exhustive reply. Phew . . . :)

but . . . I was actually asking about the fursaver boobrie. :(

and yes please post the vid, while I've never considered prongs.

Always thought they LOOKED barbaric.

But I'm always open to new opinions and info. :)

HAHA woot go me lol sorry Andy I'm so totally tired and tanked on caffeine guess that's making me a touch to chatty :D maybe I should stay off line until I get a day off I've been running on so little sleep and working to much this past week lol it's making me weird :D

HAHA woot go me lol sorry Andy I'm so totally tired and tanked on caffeine guess that's making me a touch to chatty :D maybe I should stay off line until I get a day off I've been running on so little sleep and working to much this past week lol it's making me weird :D

and breathe. . . lol

Yeah, sleep, detox off the caffeine and chill.

Start it all again monday morning. . . wheeeee. :)

and breathe. . . lol

Yeah, sleep, detox off the caffeine and chill.

Start it all again monday morning. . . wheeeee. :)

HAHA oh I wish I could Andy I'm on day 6 of a 9 day work stretch my next day off isn't until Wednesday but I tell you that day will be filled with me staying in my pj's and having some serious love time with my fuzzy demons :D

HAHA oh I wish I could Andy I'm on day 6 of a 9 day work stretch my next day off isn't until Wednesday but I tell you that day will be filled with me staying in my pj's and having some serious love time with my fuzzy demons :D

Enjoy. :)