How would I husky proof my backyard?

Lauren

So I am adopting a 2yr old siberian husky mix (not sure what the mix is though) from our local animal shelter. I will put up a picture of her soon. I won't be getting her for about a week because she will be getting her shots and will be speyered but we are waiting for an appointment. So I want to husky proof my backyard. We do have planters and some have a 2 foot fence if i am correct but we don't want her digging up the plants because we have a pool built in. Also should I be putting a fence around the built in pool??? Our walls that surround the yard is made of brick and is about 6 feet high, but if she gets to the area where the planters are its about 4 feet i beileve. Is there something I can add onto our stone wall? (mind you I do have neighbors.) We have a table in the backyard as well which is kind of close to the wall. Will our husky want to jump ontop of the table? The last thing at the moment is that we have iron rod gates that are about 6 feet as well but I am not sure if our new husky will be able to squeeze herself inbetween the iron rods, because our other dog (a german shepered, golden retriver, coyote like mix, and was on the slim side) was able to squeeze in between them and had practically dislocated her femur. obviously she didn't try again but we don't want that to happen to our husky as well. Should I add anything ontop of the iron rod gate as well.

your garden currently sounds unsuitable for a husky.

You defo need a min of 6ft fencing all around the garden and yes the pool needs fencing off. my pup could clear 4ft at only a few months old!! LOL

They can squeeze through the smallest of gaps and if he got out you run the risk of him never coming back cos of him running off (always keep on lead), being killed by a farmer or killed by a car.

Yes anything like a shed or table will need to be moved as they can use that to help them escape.

Okay. That's what I was expecting as much to do. Any suggestions on how to make the walls higher? Rebuilding the wall is out of the question but would adding a fence or something like a fence ontop of the stone wall be a good alternative to make sure the height of the wall will be hard for the husky to escape? For a fence for the built in pool, how high should i buy the fence. Because the pool itself is only about 4 feet deep, and it's not very big either. I can swim from one side to the other and back in 1 breadth.

everything needs to be at least 6ft. putting a fence on top of the wall im sure would be fine but not fencing they could 'climb'. Something like trellis wouldnt be suitable as they can use this as a ladder!! LOL

Whilst dogs can swim they should always be supervised as they can drown so again this would need to be 6ft fencing around the pool area.

For your iron gates perhaps use some sheets of mesh upto 6/7ft high so he cant sneek through. Would need to be weldmesh as a determined husky can chew through anything less !!

The dog is a mix so it depends if the dog has more characteristic of the husky or the other breed, but defo go on the side of caution at all times

Just simple timber screens you can add to the top of the fence to make it higher...Also for the pool it's the same thing they can jump most fences so would prolly need a high fence.

Def more the table away as husky like to be up on things just for the sake of it and for being higher up they like to see every thing going on so would prolly jump on the table even if its middle of yard.

good luck and congratz on you're new furbabie

@ husky princess: she does take more characteristics of a husky so i will make sure i don't underestimate her. and thanks for the type of mesh i might need. i was thinking mesh but just assumed that she might be able to bite through it. so welmesh is strong?

@jessica: thanks. i was thinking about it but wasnt sure about the lumber.

for the pool i was looking at fences and saw this website for the fence. http://www.allsafepool.com/pool-fences/?gclid=CLbhsZLRsqkCFcYbQgodGmpGMQ would this be ideal or would it be easy for a husky to move or get through it?

Heya and welcome to the forum! those pool screen look fine, espcecially if you are planning on supervising her while she is out in the garden? If you were thinking of leaving her out there like when you go to work and stuff you might be better off looking into a proper dog pen/kennel.. that might actually save you having to do that much to your garden? Personally neither of mine are escape artists and regualarly stay at my friends for the day who has what sounds like a very similar set up to you just minus the pool, as long as they are checked on and kept entertained they are fine! :) If shes going to be left unsupervised then think fort knox but if not I wouldnt worry tooooo much unless the rescue staff have said shes a mega hudinie? just maybe heighten the little wall with some good timber screening. :)

• 8 years later...